PDA

View Full Version : So I was thinking today...

QWKSNKE
08-20-2007, 07:08 PM
Anybody ever run dual tuners?

Reason I ask is that while I like all the nice features that a PMS has (standalone mode at WOT, built in 2-step, nitrous controls, boost tables, etc) I hate that it can do nothing for general streetability. In other words there is no dialing in the MAF curve, no idle jump for when the a/c is on, and so forth. You are running on the stock EEC below certain parameters.

What if you ran the PMS and the tweecer? You could dial in your MAF curve and make fuel adjustments for around town driving and economy and let the PMS kick in during any WOT pulls. (standalone turns off the EEC at a certain tps voltage and rpm)
I will one of these days have a turbo on the cobra and would love to keep the benefit of the PMS since it can read boost and I already have everything I need for it to.

Yeah I could just run a tweecer only and buy a MSD BTM box but hell, the BTM is the same price as a used tweecer.

Is there anyway to test the standalone processor in the PMS to see if it really makes the difference at the track is claimed?

coupe
08-20-2007, 09:45 PM
I think the smart money would be on a real stand alone system at that point Lee. Not stacking two piggyback units. :shrug:

megasquirt.

QWKSNKE
08-21-2007, 04:58 AM
I have a hard time believe that a 'real' standalone is worth the money when you could do something like this for half the money.
Besides, it seems that with a real standalone unit I would still have the same drivability problems I have now.

Dale needs to hurry up and get busy on his cars so that he can tell me what he can do with his AEM unit :D

coupe
08-21-2007, 08:30 AM
AEM is top-notch. But expensive too.Megasquirt is pretty nice for the money. Alot of features and support. www.diyautotune.com is a great resource. Guys name is Jerry, tell him I sent ya.

QWKSNKE
08-21-2007, 06:05 PM
I reviewed the website you posted. Not impressed with the Megasquirt system or the website. Seemed kinda weird because you buy it piece by piece instead of buying a complete tuner for your car.

Also, since Dale McPeters never gets on here :poke: I called him. What I am talking about doing is easily done and agrees that this would be a good thing to do

Dale McPeters
08-22-2007, 12:34 PM
I have a hard time believe that a 'real' standalone is worth the money when you could do something like this for half the money.
Besides, it seems that with a real standalone unit I would still have the same drivability problems I have now.

Dale needs to hurry up and get busy on his cars so that he can tell me what he can do with his AEM unit :D

Lee,

What you propose to do will work just fine as one will control all idle and most of the drivability. The other will only control it after a certain rpm etc. has been reached. That is what we will probably have to do with Lee Hay's EPEC if he usese it in piggy back mode. This has been done before......:)

I have been playing with the AEM EMS......:jester:

I also pulled the receipt for the AEM EMS last night and when I bought it from Bob Kurgan it was cheaper than the cost of a PMS Series IV & a used TwEECer-RT. And it can control every aspect of tuning including idle & drivability. The AEM is stand-a-lone as far as tuning. It is only plug & play in the sense that it plugs into the factory wiring harness & it can be used with all factory sensors etc.

I will drop you a pm shortly.

-Dale

QWKSNKE
08-22-2007, 02:33 PM
I also pulled the receipt for the AEM EMS last night and when I bought it from Bob Kurgan it was cheaper than the cost of a PMS Series IV & a used TwEECer-RT. And it can control every aspect of tuning including idle & drivability. The AEM is stand-a-lone as far as tuning. It is only plug & play in the sense that it plugs into the factory wiring harness & it can be used with all factory sensors etc.

I wouldn't mind trying an AEM setup BUT I doubt I can get your pricing :D

PMS is paid for so I'll keep it (and I am happy with it for the most part). Find a used tweecer for $350-$400 and I'll be set. Now I just need a way to come up with the money :hmm:

coupe
08-22-2007, 02:47 PM
SLVRBULLIT is selling his tweecer. Hope they work together; Keep updating.

QWKSNKE
08-22-2007, 03:59 PM
Thought he had alreaddy sold it?

rj95svt
08-23-2007, 03:15 PM
The aem looks very cool and after looking at some of it's features I would love to have one of them but they are very pricey and I am like you and can't afford to buy one of them. I actually pm'ed slvrbullit about his tweecer earlier today. Being that I have a 95 cobra I'm going to need one to run a aftermarket cam without major driveability problems. Check out this thread on SN about the AEM. This is on a 94-95 but on the last page he has a video of the computerscreen while datalogging.

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=710168

ncontt
08-23-2007, 09:23 PM
that AEM looks pretty sweet.

Dale McPeters
08-23-2007, 09:45 PM
that AEM looks pretty sweet.

They work pretty good too......:D

Dale McPeters
08-24-2007, 06:24 PM
By the way Lee I guess I should explain why what you are trying to do will work so others that do not know will.......:jester:

Short Explaination :

The TwEECer takes over the calibration console of the EEC-IV just like most other J3 modules and uses the binary that is flashed to the TwEECer instead of what is in the EEC-IV. The TwEECer effectively takes over all the calibration data.

The PMS is a piggy back type system that goes in between the EEC-IV and the engine/sensors. It intercepts the signals and modifies them according to the programming that is loaded in the PMS.

When using the two in conjunction with each other the TwEECer would control most all the idle and drivability parameters. The PMS will only come into play when certain conditions are met in stand-a-lone mode just as it does now. This will effectively take the EEC-IV/TwEECer (J3 module) out of the picture when all of the preset parameters in the PMS are met. It will be like the TwEECer is not even there when this happens.

You will however have to make sure that the PMS is not fighting the TwEECer for things such as the idle control motor etc.

I did a setup like this a long time ago with an old style PMS & an EEC-Tuner. When it is setup properly it will work very very well. :D

rj95svt
08-27-2007, 12:18 PM
I am not all that familiar with the pms. What are the benifits of the pms over the tweecers features at wide open throttle? The only thing I could see is it's ability to see boost and retard the timing according to that. There must be some additional benefits that I am not seeing. Would the tweecer be able to datalog WOT blasts when using the pms in stand alone.

Italian LX
08-27-2007, 12:40 PM
I am not all that familiar with the pms. What are the benifits of the pms over the tweecers features at wide open throttle? The only thing I could see is it's ability to see boost and retard the timing according to that.
I believe that was the biggest reason Lee was wanting to do this. The PMS also has some WOT nitrous features too, but beyond those, I personally don't know what the PMS has to offer.

Would the tweecer be able to datalog WOT blasts when using the pms in stand alone.
Wow, that a very good question that I didn't even think about.

What about it, Dale? Do you think this is possible? :shrug:

QWKSNKE
08-27-2007, 04:47 PM
I am not all that familiar with the pms. What are the benifits of the pms over the tweecers features at wide open throttle? The only thing I could see is it's ability to see boost and retard the timing according to that. There must be some additional benefits that I am not seeing. Would the tweecer be able to datalog WOT blasts when using the pms in stand alone.

PMS requires no laptop to tune, offers nitrous, built in 2-step, and boost controls. The standalone processor is so much faster than a stock EEC that it is rumored to drop off at least 2 tenths off your 1/4 mile time.

No the PMS turns off the EEC when certain WOT variable are met so you would not be able to datalog. The PMS would have to be disconnected to datalog and tune with the tweecer at WOT.

Dale McPeters
08-27-2007, 04:53 PM
I believe that was the biggest reason Lee was wanting to do this. The PMS also has some WOT nitrous features too, but beyond those, I personally don't know what the PMS has to offer.

Ok I can answer most of this as I got to go to school on Sunday....:jester:
The PMS Series IV benefits in stand-a-lone mode >

Nitrous Control
Boost reference (map sensor). Can control timing better under boost.
Engine can be turned to a higher rpm than 7000-7500 without changing the crystals in the EEC-IV. As some EEC-IV's are limited in this regard.

Plus other stuff that Lee listed above.

Wow, that a very good question that I didn't even think about.

What about it, Dale? Do you think this is possible? :shrug:

No datalogging with the TwEECer when the PMS takes control in stand-a-lone mode as the TwEECer is taken out of the picture just like the EEC-IV. It will still be working but I would use the PMS/Interact software to datalog when the PMS goes onto stand-a-lone mode.

Clear as mud yet? :D

rj95svt
08-28-2007, 12:18 PM
I was just curious about it. I didn't know anything about the pms. I have just ordered a tweecer rt for my cobra. I think for a regular street driven 94-95 car that the tweecer would be the best bet short of a full on stand alone such as the AEM. I am very impressed with its features and software and would love to have one. Seeing how the pms doesn't allow you to tune for driveability I can see the reasons for wanting to add the tweecer I just was unsure the reasons for keeping the pms along with the tweecer but I understand a little better now.

QWKSNKE
08-28-2007, 12:33 PM
yeah I had a tweecer and then swapped to the PMS. The advanatage for me is not having to keep a laptop in the car to make changes. PMS has its own controller that displays real time data all the time.

Another reason was because I wanted to learn a new tuning tool. My next step is learning the SCT software on a late model

rj95svt
08-28-2007, 03:12 PM
Yeah I was told it looks similar to my tweecer software but with less problems. If I knew somebody that done a bunch of tuning I would learn all I could about it. I would love to get paid for tuning cars.

coupe
08-28-2007, 09:08 PM
...I had a tweecer then PMS...My next step is the SCT

Wonder if you can stack all of them together to tune... :think:

:jester: :poke:

QWKSNKE
08-28-2007, 09:39 PM
Wonder if you can stack all of them together to tune... :think:

:jester: :poke:

:lol:
doubt it :D

Dale McPeters