PDA

View Full Version : Valve spring questions,need help!

EHardy1971
08-23-2007, 10:11 AM
ok guys,here's what I've got,on my E7 heads that I'm working for my 306,I was taking the valve springs and all off last night,and was comparing my new springs/retainers that came off of a brand new set of AFR heads.(The guy I bought them from was putting stiffer springs on them,and I got a deal) they are the triple springs,and all are the same free height,and are taller than the E7 springs,but are the same O.D.,now here's the problem,the E7 springs are different heights for intake and exhaust,and have thicker retainers for the exhaust,due to the shorter spring.The AFR retainers are all the same thickness,BUT,the hole is too big for my valve locks!,the AFR springs are rated to .550 lift,and I know the E7's are rated to .500,I'm running the E303 with 93 Cobra 1.7 rr's,which I *think* should put it at about .528,the following are the ideas I came up with,(not trying to be long winded!),and wonder if any of them would work,lemme know!:dunno:

1,use the AFR springs with all E7 thin exhaust retainers

2,use the two AFR inner springs inside the E7 springs to make them triple,and go back with the appropriate retainers

3,or do I need 10* valve locks?

Thanks in advance!

coupe
08-23-2007, 10:43 AM
Don't mix 'n match those damper springs with the stockers...it won't help you.

Making sure you match components on top of the valvetrain is very important. Please don't take a shortcut there.

QWKSNKE
08-23-2007, 10:53 AM
Don't mix 'n match those damper springs with the stockers...it won't help you.

Making sure you match components on top of the valvetrain is very important. Please don't take a shortcut there.

+1..

Best bet would be to get some OEM replacement springs, locks, and retainers. TFS makes a good set that you can get through summit

EHardy1971
08-23-2007, 01:23 PM
thanks guys!,that is why I was asking,I don't ever half ass anything on a car,let alone my baby!,I was wanting to check if those were viable solutions JIC any of you had run into this before!:nice:

itlepeanut
08-23-2007, 02:09 PM
thanks guys!,that is why I was asking,I don't ever half ass anything on a car,let alone my baby!,I was wanting to check if those were viable solutions JIC any of you had run into this before!:nice:

I thought I was your baby? :baby:

EHardy1971
08-23-2007, 03:15 PM
I thought I was your baby? :baby:
you are!,besides,you know what I mean!

89five0Gt
08-23-2007, 03:16 PM
get a room

itlepeanut
08-23-2007, 05:20 PM
get a room

Ahhh shut up Jeffery lol :phenomena