PDA

View Full Version : wiring issue in my mustang/fairmont project

ncontt
10-23-2007, 06:33 AM
HELP...lol sorry this is so long but I wanted to be descriptive. Thanks.

Background info: 302 based motor into a 1979 Fairmont, ALL harnesses from a 1990 Mustang, AOD car with the proper neutral drive switch on and installed correctly. That being said, I am not getting power to the starter solenoid when I turn the key. I am going to check the ignition switch later today BUT. If I take the red/blue strip wire off the starter solenoid and "jump" it the engine will crank over. If I try to start with the key I get NOTHING. No power to the red/blue striped wire when the key is in the "ON" /cranking position. I traced this back up under the dash and it has several red/blue striped wires coming into a black connector that has 2 female connectors in it. One side ohm's back out to the starter solenoid. I just can't find any other connector that would hook into this black connector, there is also a white one up under the dash (where the harness comes in on the DS) that looks just like this connector....it is kind of flat and has two large triangular "tabs" on either side (one on each side) and then the regular tab to hold the other side of the connector on (does that make sense?) Any help would be very much appreciated. I have looked on the "veryuseful.com" site and it's pretty vague as far as the other connections.

Thanks.
Brad

ncontt
10-23-2007, 06:35 AM
thinking about it, the reason it doesn't have power to it when cranking the car is because it's not hooked to anything (under the dash), it (red/blue stripe wire) should just get power to it when trying to crank the car correct? So it seems to me I need to focus on the steering column/ignition switch....Sorry, I'd get a pic but the batteries on the camera died JUST as I was about to take a pic last night :mad:

04 Mach1
10-23-2007, 06:37 AM
The one with the red/blue should be your clutch safety jump that connection and it should start. I used a male wire connector with the 2 prongs spread out a little been working fine for some time now.

ncontt
10-23-2007, 06:44 AM
this is an AOD car and I have the harness that goes to the trans., it hooks up to the body harness right by the DS. Kickpanel and then goes up under the dash (into the dash harness I ASSume) btw that's a white/pink wire (so I should have power going into the Neutral SS (on the white/pink wire (which is the red/blue stripe coming out of it....I believe, according to my diagram) and then goes and hooks onto the starter relay/sol.

ncontt
10-23-2007, 07:34 AM
The one with the red/blue should be your clutch safety jump that connection and it should start. I used a male wire connector with the 2 prongs spread out a little been working fine for some time now.

you were right, on an AOD car there is a plug that "jumps" this connection, on a 5 speed car the clear/white plug plugs up to the clutch switch.... DOH...just some minor details and it's time to crank this MUTHA UP :banana: :banana: