PDA

View Full Version : Coil v/s coil-over

Shorty
02-23-2005, 03:51 AM
since the next thing the fox is getting will be C/C plates i thought of going ahead and replacing the shocks and struts with the Tokico 5 ways while i am there. right now i Eibach springs but Tokico has a kit that includes coil over conversion. here is where i saw the kit for reference.

with springs (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7955168571&category=33590)
without springs (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7955596451&category=33590)

are there any real advantages so going to this? is there anything special changes that have to be made? also would it really be worth it to pay the extra plus have to ditch the springs that i already payed for.

also, i was reading that you should get C/C plates are specific 90-93 and not the 79-93. Steeda and QA1 are the only two i have seen thus far that offer model specific. does anyone know anything about QA1 products, there prices are better.

thanks for the info.

Italian LX
02-23-2005, 05:25 AM
...right now i Eibach springs but Tokico has a kit that includes coil over conversion. here is where i saw the kit for reference.

with springs (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7955168571&category=33590)
You looked at the auction wrong; that's not a coil-over set-up. Those are stock springs for the stock location. They used a generic picture which is misleading by showing a strut for a McPherson set-up)

Shorty
02-23-2005, 01:45 PM
:doh: i see it now. well that settles my decsion. Brian, arent the Tokicos what you are running. if so, how do you like them.

Italian LX
02-23-2005, 01:48 PM
if so, how do you like them.
:yup: I love them. :nice:

You can check out their handling first hand in a few months. ;)

QWKSNKE
02-23-2005, 06:54 PM
I like the Strange 10 ways ;)

Shorty
02-24-2005, 04:25 AM
:yup: I love them. :nice:

You can check out their handling first hand in a few months. ;)

:nice: dont mention it. it is killing me that it is so far away and i have never been.

I like the Strange 10 ways

i have read alot of good things about those as well, but arent the adjustment for the front on the bottom of the strut? from best i can tell the Tokico all adjust from the towers. plus i havent seen any really good deals on Strange or Koni. hell i paid almost as much for the cheap ass KYB's that are on it now. i wish i would of gotten something better then.

Italian LX
02-24-2005, 05:06 AM
. . . but arent the adjustment for the front on the bottom of the strut? Yes, and it's also on the bottom for the back.
. . . from best i can tell the Tokico all adjust from the towers. plus i havent seen any really good deals on Strange or Koni.
Those are the exact two reasons I went with Tokico; adjustments on the top and good deal on Ebay. :nice:

QWKSNKE
02-24-2005, 06:13 AM
Don't you have to make some hood modifications for the tokico's

Italian LX
02-24-2005, 07:59 AM
Don't you have to make some hood modifications for the tokico's
I think I'm lost some spacer for my CC plates somewhere along the way. Any strut I have put on my car car sits higher than they should.

I'm going to look into it more before I go with the fiberglass hood. . .

strut hitting glass hood = not pretty. :(

QWKSNKE
02-24-2005, 10:03 AM
strut hitting glass hood = not pretty. :(

:werd:

I think Dave had to do the same thing with the tokicos on his car to

Shorty
02-24-2005, 01:51 PM
what kind of modifacations to the hood are we talking? also got any idea where that info could be verified. :shrug: always got to be something difficult.

Sendero
02-24-2005, 04:14 PM
what kind of modifacations to the hood are we talking? also got any idea where that info could be verified. :shrug: always got to be something difficult.

Shorty, I have mentioned something to him about the height of his struts before. When I installed mine, I had to place washers to maintain the the same level of the original struts. I believe the Tokico's are the same way, but like Brian said he must have lost those spacers.

You shouldn't have to modify your hood to install them.

Shorty
02-25-2005, 12:39 PM
:nice: