PDA

View Full Version : spring isolator question

DSkeet
02-23-2005, 08:34 AM
I have been told that on the newer mustang like mine there is a spring isolator that when removed will give an additional 1/4 inch drop in the front. Is this true? How hard is it to get out? Is there anything that can be done along those lines in the rear?

Sendero
02-23-2005, 08:39 AM
I have been told that on the newer mustang like mine there is a spring isolator that when removed will give an additional 1/4 inch drop in the front. Is this true? How hard is it to get out? Is there anything that can be done along those lines in the rear?

You can get additional lowering, but I think 1/4" might be a stretch. Removing the isolator will increase road noise in you car because obviously you won't have an isolator.

I'd vote to keep it.

Scothew
02-23-2005, 10:05 AM
I vote keep em. I am also running poly urethane ones from maximum motorsports and i am very happy with them. Not taht I can tell if they handle better or not, but they cant hurt, plus my stock rubber ones were fairly worn out looking.

QWKSNKE
02-23-2005, 10:07 AM
keep the isolators

1sicklx
02-23-2005, 10:15 AM
Keep'em

:yup:

Shorty
02-23-2005, 01:35 PM
:werd: to keeping them.

Craig K.
02-23-2005, 08:09 PM
Yes it will drop a litlle, yes there is one on the rear also.

Keep them on though.

96GTS
02-23-2005, 09:26 PM
When I had springs, I took all of them off. ride wasnt affected IMO. But I have a lot higher tolerance for that stuff, so what's fine to me might bug the shit out of you. FWIW, I currently have NO rubber bushings in my susp...all alum....so yeah...leave 'em in:D

DSkeet
02-24-2005, 06:02 AM
Yeah, sounds like I will just order the Eibach Sportline's to give me the extra drop I am missing.... This Mac 1.5 isn't enough for me! So in a couple weeks my Mac springs will be up for sale.

TheJeanyus
02-24-2005, 02:03 PM
From Maximum Motorsport's website:

What are spring isolators, and why do I even need them?
The spring isolators, along with most of the other rubber parts in automobile suspensions, are primarily a noise and vibration isolation feature. The spring isolators, additionally, will affect the ride height of the car. The compressed height of the spring isolators (upper and lower, or lack of isolators if they are gone!) changes the ride height of the car. The factory rubber isolators do not last very long, and compress significantly with very little time. Even new cars that are swapping springs when nearly new have shown significant permanent compresson of the isolators. These polyurethane isolators will restore a little amount of ride height due to heavily collapsed isolators in an older car, and help provide noise isolation that may be lost from missing or destroyed isolators. Ride height values quoted for the H&R springs we sell are based on using new urethane spring isolators. We recommend replacing these whenever you remove springs during any service, if they haven't already been replaced. It's a hard lesson learned when you find they are worn out, when you have your car already torn apart and need to drive it tomorrow!