PDA

View Full Version : Any downside to running a 3G alt?

CrazyInBlack
11-24-2007, 04:50 PM
Thinking I should upgrade b/c I think mine is bad

EHardy1971
11-24-2007, 04:54 PM
none that I know of,except I think I need a bigger battery now,my factory replacement is overcharging right now,but it may be because it's 6 years old! It's actually one of the best mods I've done to mine!

QWKSNKE
11-24-2007, 04:56 PM
no downside to it

Italian LX
11-24-2007, 07:27 PM
In a Fox-body, it requires a small amount of grinding on the bracket (very minmal and easy to do). You also need to run a large gauge cable from the alternator to the battery to handle the extra current.

Other than that, it's an easy upgrade and very well worth it!

SkurdalenFox
11-24-2007, 11:33 PM
Directions- http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=75

Make or purchase a new charge cable. The existing one (actually 2 or 3) is/are small. They are also probably fairly ragged.

Buy a 3G kit. It'll come with all the hardware required. More expensive vs. fewer hassles.

This shows the stock setup. I'll try to post the other wiring diagram soon. Must write memo, you understand ;)

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k30/skurdalen/alternative.jpg

How The Circuit Works

The Alternator is belt-driven by the engine. Field current is supplied from the Integral Alternator Regulator (IAR), mounted on the rear of the Alternator, to the rotating field of the Alternator, through two brushes and two slip rings.

The Alternator produces power in the form of alternating current. The alternating current is rectified to direct current by six diodes. The Alternator Regulator automatically adjusts the Alternator field current to maintain the Alternator output voltage within prescribed limits to correctly charge the Battery. The Alternator is self-current limiting.

The regulator voltage control circuit is turned on when the Ignition Switch is in START or RUN and voltage is applied to Regulator terminal I through a resistor in parallel with the Charge Indicator. When the Ignition Switch is OFF, the control circuit is turned OFF and no field current flows to the Alternator.

The Charge Indicator is connected across the terminals of a 500-ohm resistor in the Instrument Cluster. Current passes through the Indicator when the Ignition Switch is in START or RUN and there is no voltage at terminal S. When voltage at terminal S rises to a preset value, the regulator switching circuits stop the flow of current into terminal I and the indicator turns OFF.

System voltage is "sensed" at Regulator terminal A. The regulator switching circuits turn the warning indicator ON to indicate a system fault if terminal A voltage is excessively high or low or if the voltage at terminal S is below a preset value.

A Fuse Link is included in the charging system wiring on all models. The Fuse Link prevents damage to the wiring harness and Alternator if the wiring harness should become grounded or if a booster battery is improperly connected to the charging system.

coupe
11-25-2007, 12:19 AM
No harm. It's a nice thing to have, especially if you're running more accessories and/or a stereo system. The battery won't know the difference. :nice: