PDA

View Full Version : How do you buff paint?

CrazyInBlack
11-24-2007, 04:55 PM
I need to buff my Mark but do not know how. I do not mind messing it up since I painted it myself. I think I need some kind of compound, maybe? I have a buffer with adjustable speed. anyone know?

BeachBoy
11-24-2007, 10:29 PM
Though I'll leave most of the answer to your question to the experts ---- and I'm sure there's lots of people on this site that know a whole lot more than I do ---- but, in case nobody else says it, here's part of what I do know.

Watch out for sharp edges ---- coz you can get the paint down to the metal in no time!

Keep the electric polisher flat ---- coz, if you tilt it, you can get the paint down to the metal in no time!

No, I didn't do either of these things myself ---- but I went to look at a Mustang that had just been painted ---- really nice ---- and the guy wanted to give it a polish himself ---- and these were the two things he told me.

89five0Gt
11-25-2007, 08:49 AM
There Is A Buffing Compound You Need To Buy. You Can Get It At The Parts Store. I Can't Think Of The Brand Right Off. Be Careful Buffing. If You Hold The Buffer In One Spot To Long, You Can Damage The Clearcoat. Just Take Your Time. Its A Messy Job !! Good Luck.

CrazyInBlack
11-25-2007, 07:28 PM
I think we are pretty safe about buffing though the clear coat :jester:

if you think of the brand please let me know

89 Hoss
11-25-2007, 07:35 PM
Mcgwires or however you spell it has a series of buffing waxes to use. Everything from cutter compound to mild polishing, I use a milder can't remember what grade it was but they can help you at O'reilly's. Also just depends on how rough your paint is and how deep the scratches or swirls you want to remove. I would recommend if you have not done it much to get the milder until you can find you a good pace for the buffer to make sure you don't burn the paint.

FastRedPonyCar
11-26-2007, 08:37 AM
Griots has various levels of polishing compound with different levels of grit based on how deep the scratches are.

I used them in this thread with the griot's orbital buffer that won't burn paint.

http://www.streetstangs.net/showthread.php?t=9912

CrazyInBlack
11-28-2007, 10:49 AM
I do not think the mark will ever look that good

hope to get some time this weekend to try buffing the paint, since I have no football to watch :nono:

FastRedPonyCar
11-28-2007, 10:53 AM
pssh.. man my paint was all oxidized and had swirl marks chips, scrapes, you name it. It was in rough shape... about what I expected a car with 93K miles driven by an middle age woman who doesn't care if it's clean or not to look like.

CrazyInBlack
12-06-2007, 07:26 AM
this did not go well :(

FastRedPonyCar
12-06-2007, 08:01 AM
What happend?

BeachBoy
01-03-2008, 03:43 AM
What happend?

Curious here, too.

CrazyInBlack
01-03-2008, 09:20 AM
I went and looked at it the next day and it was not that bad

the worst part is there was crap in the paint and the buffer caught it and flung it everywhere, along with dead paint

but overall it was not too bad, it was just getting dark when I finished and could not totally see

oo-gonzo
01-03-2008, 01:59 PM
I personally recommend Presto brand polishes. They have always worked well for me. You need a low grade cutting compound to use first. The cutting compound actually takes out scratches and oxidation. Use a low speed on the buffer. Do not stay in one place too long or you will damage the finish. Stay long enough to do some good , but not long enough to get it very hot. You will have to use the right buffing pad also. You will have to clean the pad as you go because of compound build up. This is done by taking a flat head screw driver, turn the buffer over and spin while holding the screw driver against the pad lightly. You should see compound sling off of the pad. Too much compound will burn the finish, so keep it clean!
Do a small area with the compound and let it haze over. Then wipe it down with a dry soft rag, emphasis on the "soft"! Check the area for desired finish, do more if needed or move on to another spot. Continue until whole car is done.
Presto makes some great polishes. You will have to polish where you have cut. Makes sure the car is free of cutting compound and clean before polishing. Use a different type of pad on the buffer for polishing. Do the same process with the polish. Polish will not hurt your finish, but if the pad stays in one spot it will heat up and the heat is what causes the damage.
You can get several types of cutters/polishes in many different stores. Heck, even wal-mart sells some. I recommend that you go to a local automotive paint store. Tell them what you a doing and let them guide you. Caution, They will often times try to sell you more than you need. Stick to a cutter and a polish. Also, if the first type of cutter doesn't get the problem out, try a more abrasive cutter. Good luck!

MACHPWR
01-16-2008, 12:13 AM
Anybody know any good places to get it buffed? I'd like to get my paint buffed, but I'm not looking at purchasing a buffer or doing it myself.

I'm lazy. :sleeping: