PDA

View Full Version : AOD help needed!

EHardy1971
11-28-2007, 07:27 PM
Lee,Brian,or any AOD guys,I need some input here! Driving my coupe this past week,my overdrive stopped working with NO warning! I still have first through drive though.Here's the deal,pulled it out 3 years ago when I was starting my engine build,put in B&M shift kit and new filter.It sat until a few weeks ago when I got everything going,after a little over 100 miles on the fresh engine,it took a crap!,worked great to that point.I dropped the pan and filter,and they are clean. Soooo,I'm thinking the OD piston seal might have been a little dry rotted,and blew out,or a broken OD band, What's the concensus here?:think:

Italian LX
11-28-2007, 07:51 PM
Have you ever done the 1-D-1 shuffle with that tranny?

Also, did you attach the throttle kick-down cable when you put the tranny back in?

EHardy1971
11-28-2007, 08:09 PM
Have you ever done the 1-D-1 shuffle with that tranny?

Also, did you attach the throttle kick-down cable when you put the tranny back in?
that would be a yes to both!

Italian LX
11-28-2007, 08:21 PM
that would be a yes to both!
Well, it's good that you attached the kick-down cable. That will take out an AOD really quickly.

The 1-D-1 shuffle will eventually take out your overdrive band, but not right away. I think I did it at least 30 times before it started to have adverse effects on the overdrive. If you have only done it a few times, it's likely not the cause, but if you made a habit of pulling back down into (1) in order to keep it in 2nd gear, then that's probably what has taken a toll on your overdrive band.

EHardy1971
11-28-2007, 08:32 PM
I was afraid of that!,so what is the main failure with them Brian,burning,or breaking?

coupe
11-28-2007, 08:36 PM
Yea. Overdrive band was my thought. It's notoriouosly weak in the AOD. Definitely needs the heavy duty servo to be stronger...I think it's called the "A" servo. Or the aftermarket companies make it.

Italian LX
11-28-2007, 09:02 PM
Yea. Overdrive band was my thought. It's notoriouosly weak in the AOD. Definitely needs the heavy duty servo to be stronger...I think it's called the "A" servo. Or the aftermarket companies make it.
When I had an AOD, I ordered the 'A' servo along with my shift kit though Bauman Engineering. You can also get the A-servo out of a Supercoupe AOD.

However, that won't solve his problem. It will give a firmer shift into OD and allow the band to last a bit longer, but it still won't allow for the 1-D-1 shuffle or fix his current problem.

Italian LX
11-28-2007, 09:04 PM
I was afraid of that!,so what is the main failure with them Brian,burning,or breaking?
To be honest, I really don't know enough about the internals of an automatic to tell you the details of how the overdrive failed. All I really know of autos is valve-body modifications.

EHardy1971
11-28-2007, 09:26 PM
To be honest, I really don't know enough about the internals of an automatic to tell you the details of how the overdrive failed. All I really know of autos is valve-body modifications.
ok,Thanks Brian,and Coupe!,I guess I'll slap a low mileage used AOD in it while I rebuild this one,OR,I do have a C-4 short shaft(truck trans) with the bolt in yoke,sitting in my shop taking up space! The only downside to that is, it would have to be completely re-built,and I'd have to get a new T/C,C-4 adapter kit for my shifter,yada yada yada....

89five0Gt
11-29-2007, 05:47 AM
Put a 5-speed in it. it'll be more fun !!!

04 Mach1
11-29-2007, 06:23 AM
Yep I had all the fun I could deal with a couple of months ago with the whole aod rebuild. They are a weaker trans but with a couple modifcations they'll hold up to 450 pretty easy.The shift kit is a must and I have an "A" servo if you decide to go with the aod.

Italian LX
11-29-2007, 06:26 AM
Yep I had all the fun I could deal with a couple of months ago with the whole aod rebuild. They are a weaker trans but with a couple modifcations they'll hold up to 450 pretty easy.The shift kit is a must and I have an "A" servo if you decide to go with the aod.
Hmmm, I wonder where you got that 'A' servo from? :D

coupe
11-29-2007, 08:18 AM
1-2-1 shuffle is bad. Ford really blew it on the shifter positions for that setup. Your best bet is to go with an aftermarket valve body. It allows the use of 1,2,3 shift with the shifter and then an electronicaly-switched overdrive (on a button). And it can still maintain automatic shift.

Another one I've seen has a 1,2,3 pattern and after it has gotten into drive, you let off the gas and it automatically goes to OD.

qkjuicedpony
11-29-2007, 01:37 PM

I dont know where your info is from....but an AOD with slight modifications will hold 1000rwhp with ease.

seen several with good servos and input shafts behind small block twin turbo setups that made made 900+rwhp and are still alive to this day.

Out of the box it isn't the best though.

1-d-1 shifting will kill one in a minute

EHardy1971
11-29-2007, 07:30 PM
how much?

EHardy1971
11-29-2007, 07:42 PM
1-2-1 shuffle is bad. Ford really blew it on the shifter positions for that setup. Your best bet is to go with an aftermarket valve body. It allows the use of 1,2,3 shift with the shifter and then an electronicaly-switched overdrive (on a button). And it can still maintain automatic shift.
I remember MM&FF doing a write up about that a few years ago!,turns it more or less into an AODE.

lesson learned the hard way, But fun for launches!:snatch:

Put a 5-speed in it. it'll be more fun !!!

Last time I mentioned that Geoffrey,Tonya reminded me of "that $250 shifter thing" (my hammer shifter):rolleyes:

ncontt
11-29-2007, 07:42 PM
I dont know where your info is from....but an AOD with slight modifications will hold 1000rwhp with ease.

seen several with good servos and input shafts behind small block twin turbo setups that made made 900+rwhp and are still alive to this day.

Out of the box it isn't the best though.

:werd:

several friends running 331-347+'s with S-trims and twin 60-1's in full weight street cars in the 10's (10.20's and low 11 teens)

The TV cable may not have been adjusted properly either...this will also burn it up with a quickness

EHardy1971
11-29-2007, 08:24 PM
:werd:

several friends running 331-347+'s with S-trims and twin 60-1's in full weight street cars in the 10's (10.20's and low 11 teens)

The TV cable may not have been adjusted properly either...this will also burn it up with a quickness

I had it adjusted by the book,but heres the story on that trans,it was originally in an '86 Cougar that I bought from my uncle(who works with Lee) to do my 4cyl to V8 swap,it had a new T/C,but the internals are still factory with about 120,000 miles on it.My uncles ex-wife pulled out in front of somebody on HWY 21,that was doing about 70,and got T-boned hard enough to flip the Cougar on it's roof! Needless to say,it was totalled,and he sold me the whole car for $400.

qkjuicedpony
11-29-2007, 08:28 PM
did you have the trans apart before you put it in the car?

and has it been doing this all along or did it just start

BAD INT
11-29-2007, 09:02 PM
I got a P/A SUPERCOMP AOD with brake and aftermarket gears only thing left stock is the case.Look in the for sale section.Jon

EHardy1971
11-29-2007, 09:41 PM
did you have the trans apart before you put it in the car?

and has it been doing this all along or did it just start
I had it down to the valve body,to put the shift kit in,and it did it out of the blue.It was shifting great,and would bark the tires hitting 2nd.It still shifts great,but when it's supposed to go to OD,it's like it's going into neutral!

EHardy1971
12-04-2007, 10:37 PM
Fixed it!,as I already told Mark and Brian,when I dropped valve body,I opened it up,and found a broken retaining clip on the 1-2 modulator valve(I must have messed it up when I put in the shift kit!) and a sliver of it further down in one of the passages! I put the A2 servo in,and Mark hooked me up with a parts valve body for the clip.I just got back from a test run,and everything works like it should! Mark,thanks again man!