PDA

View Full Version : Cooling issues...

Wickd GT
01-01-2008, 05:53 PM
You guys can not believe the work I have done to this car. No matter what I did to the cooling system it keeps pushing air and water to the catch can. Well thought I had it fix and yesterday big puddle of antifreeze. Well Heater core is gone, so I by pass it. We drove it around but still air bubbles on the catch can. We pressurized it, it hold, we pressurized with the motor on, to see if it was pushing compression, nothing! Well, I told Cheo go ahead and use it but don't stump on it to see if it bleeds off, NOT damn thing started to leak at the bottom hose at the radiator. Change the hose, but I notice once the car cool off it started to leak, so I pulled the radiator, crack at the bottom, it will only show leak when cooling down. So I got a 3 core radiator from Advance Auto, put it together today, and guess what, it leaked at the same place!!! Now I was real mad, ready to put a match to it. So put the old water hose on it with a different hose clamp, fire up and no leaks so far, but still pushing air into the catch can, so I told Cheo drive around and come back to see if it will leak, so far so good. He call me and told me that he did not see any leaks. So lets see what happens, we can't stump on it because the catch can gets almost full, so maybe it needs to bleed off? how long this takes? I just started to take mine apart, hopefully have it out tomorrow.

Edgar

Italian LX
01-01-2008, 06:05 PM
Did you try the radiator flush kit like I told you on the phone?

Craig K.
01-01-2008, 06:16 PM
Can you run it with the radiator cap off until it gets hot enough to have the thermostat open?
Is there a temp sensor or something on top of the motor that you could crack open when hot to try and bleed off any air?

BAD INT
01-01-2008, 08:42 PM
thermostat sticking and making to much back pressure? better flush the system asap and change thermostat for safe measure.If after all that it still does it you got a weaping headgasket try a retorque and moroso ceramic engines seal and follow directions to a T

04 Mach1
01-01-2008, 08:50 PM
Maybe the cap??

1Quik85GT
01-01-2008, 10:25 PM
the thermostat is sticking buddy!!!!

Italian LX
01-02-2008, 04:56 AM
He already changed the T-stat.

Wickd GT
01-02-2008, 06:24 AM
Change thermostat, bottom and upper hose, thermostat housing. We put this tool in the radiator to see if head gasket is leaking, whit the motor on it will read if compression is going through the cooling system. Brian, how do you the flushing thing again? Thanks:

Edgar

Italian LX
01-02-2008, 07:43 AM
Brian, how do you the flushing thing again?
Just buy the Prestone flush kit (they're only like $5.00) and about a 24" piece of heater hose. You won't be able to install the T-fitting like the instructions tell you because of the short hoses at the heater core on the 5.0L motor. The way I do it is to install the T-fitting at the front of the motor temporarily using an extra piece of heater hose and then just remove the stuff when I'm done flushing.

To do this you only need to disconnect one side of the hose that goes from the hard-line on the intake to the water pump and then use the T-fitting from the kit and the piece of heater hose to complete the coolant path. Remove the radiator cap, hook up a garden hose to the T-fitting, turn-on the water supply, and crank the car up. I let it run for at least 5 minutes. When you're done, cut the car off, turn the water off and remove the T-fitting and extra hose -- make sure you reattaching the stock hose as quickly as possible so you don't introduce any air into the system.

Verify that the radiator is topped off and reinstall the radiator cap. Your system should now be free of all air pockets. :nice:

Put the flush kit away and save it for the next time you need it.

asilver2001gt
01-02-2008, 11:30 AM
are you sure the overflow tank isn't cracked...mine had a crack in it and I looked everywhere for it...it was such a small crack and such a slow leak that I was unable to notice it until I pulled it off

coupe
01-02-2008, 12:30 PM
Head Gaskets installed backward will cause it. But I wouldn't think you'd install them backwards. Maybe that was a step Cheo performed and he did not know? :shrug:

Craig K.
01-02-2008, 04:57 PM
Head Gaskets installed backward will cause it. But I wouldn't think you'd install them backwards. Maybe that was a step Cheo performed and he did not know? :shrug:

I was going to mention the head gasket install too, but I didn't want to get my ass kicked by an insulted Puerto Rican thinking I was being a smart a$$

:jester:

EHardy1971
01-02-2008, 05:51 PM
Do you have a "burp hole/valve" in the T-stat?

Wickd GT
01-02-2008, 07:04 PM
Well, I found that piston #2 was not firing or maybe once in a while. So I did a compression test, all 8 holes have 170psi. I pressurized the cooling system and then took all spark plugs out and spin the engine to see if coolant shoot out, NOTHING! So I left the cooling system pressurized for 2hrs to see if it will drop, well only 2 lbs, from 16 to 14psi. Got under the car and saw at the bottom of the water pump, were the 2 bolts holding the backing plate, were leaking, so I put the pressure back at 16 psi and that is when I heard this bubble noise, and found it at the meta pipe that goes from the intake to the heater core, the one that has the heat sensor for the computer, it is leaking between the nut that goes in the intake and the upper part of that tube, I guess it has a seal or something because that swivels there. I think that the MSD distributor has issues, so I'm going to put the stock one and see if the # 2 fires, I will put a new spark plug there. My question is this, if the water pump at the bottom is leaking, when the motor is on, and it sucks the coolant into the motor, will it suck air too, and making it push air into the catch can? By the way the motor does not get hot at all. So I will put a new water pump, that metal rail, I have an extra one, and hope this fix it.

Edgar

Wickd GT
01-04-2008, 05:37 AM
I found the problem, I had to take the heads off and take them to the Machine shop to check them, we found out that both heads needed to be milled, .008", they were warped, the seal were bad, they were leaking oil, the guide plates, someone did a good job on those, because they were grind really bad and I almost drop a valve because the rocker almost came off, due to the play in those guide plates, so had to buy a new set. Pro line did this work? I'm telling you, that was a shitty job if I have seen one. I spent 223.00 on these heads today to get them fixed, oh, by the way, there was no way these rockers could run the way the valves were set up, someone did not put valve lash caps on them to get them away from the retainers, the rockers were hitting the retainers. Looks like these heads were run real hot, that is what the machine shop told me, and this is one of the best here, Johny Pilcher. So, motor is almost back together, hopefully we can fire it up today. Those Isky adjustable guide plates are cool, but time consuming, making sure that the rocker is right on top of the valve.

Edgar

coupe
01-04-2008, 07:48 AM
Damn. Talk about a worst-case-scenario! If only it had just been a gasket or thermostat. :tlash: