PDA

View Full Version : ?'s on installing clutch quadant

tayzoid1
01-30-2008, 01:12 PM
how do you do it????? i finally got my steeda double hook kit in today to replace my broke factory unit and i got to looking i dont even know where to begin any help is appriciated

thanx

taylor

ncontt
01-30-2008, 01:33 PM
It's not the easiest thing to do. That being said.....depending on your stature the level of difficulty goes up proportionally to your size...lol (I'm 6'3" and 235) so I have fatish fingers. If you are smaller you can probably get away without removing the drivers seat. Slide it all the way back (seat), get out flashlight and get on your back, looking up under the dash (WAY UP towards the top) you'll see the plastic part that you are going to replace with that nifty billet piece. As I recall, there is a metal pin that goes through the middle of the quadrant with a "JESUS" clip on it (named Jesus because once you "TRY" to put it back on there it will fly off and you will holler "JESUS......" ;) ) Needle nose pliers will help with this removal, as I recall I broke most of the old plastic one trying to get it out.

****EDIT*****

try this linkage and let me know if there are anymore questions....http://www.fordracingparts.com/download/instructionsheets/FordInstShtM-7553-B302C302D302E302.pdf

Brad

coupe
01-30-2008, 01:58 PM
:werd: Make sure to pull the pedal up first, and remove the cable from the plastic quad. Then take it out, install the new one...

Getting the cable on the new one might necessitate a prybar under the car to "actuate" the fork forward....gives you enough cable to slip the end over the quadrant hook.

Good luck :nice:

89five0Gt
01-30-2008, 02:20 PM
Ncontt nailed it. luckily i didn't have to remove my seat. i broke most of my plastic too.

ncontt
01-30-2008, 09:18 PM
Ncontt nailed it. luckily i didn't have to remove my seat. i broke most of my plastic too.

LOL, it was quite a PITA as I recall....it's been at least 6 years since I did one, also a good point about pushing the shifter fork/actuator with a prybar, it gives the extra needed room/length to get the cable hooked on.

Italian LX
01-30-2008, 09:55 PM
. . . also a good point about pushing the shifter fork/actuator with a prybar, it gives the extra needed room/length to get the cable hooked on.
If you get an adjustable cable, you don't have to do this step and the install is a lot easier. I replaced my entire cable/adjuster/quadrant assembly with all new parts a couple months back and it took me less than 30 minutes to do it all.

CrimsonRacing
01-31-2008, 06:19 AM
If you get an adjustable cable, you don't have to do this step and the install is a lot easier. I replaced my entire cable/adjuster/quadrant assembly with all new parts a couple months back and it took me less than 30 minutes to do it all.

He also replaced a broken cable pretty damn fast a couple of years ago at FFW coming back into the track after the 30 mile cruise.........

:metal:

tayzoid1
01-31-2008, 10:16 AM
well i got the whole kit the firewall adjuster the billit quadrant and new cable is that what your talking about brian and if you can do it in 30 min ill pay you 14dollars an hour to install it deal?

Italian LX
01-31-2008, 10:21 AM
well i got the whole kit the firewall adjuster the billit quadrant and new cable is that what your talking about brian and if you can do it in 30 min ill pay you 14dollars an hour to install it deal?
Ha ha, just because I can do it that fast, doesn't mean it's still not a pain in the back... literally.

Besides, nobody works on cars for only $14/hour.

tayzoid1
01-31-2008, 09:01 PM
i know but it was worth a try :shrug: if i cant figgur this thing out could i meet somone somewhere to show me what i need to do becous i dont even see the plastic yall are talking about breaking so im basically clue less

mustangsteve
01-31-2008, 09:41 PM
i know but it was worth a try :shrug: if i cant figgur this thing out could i meet somone somewhere to show me what i need to do becous i dont even see the plastic yall are talking about breaking so im basically clue less

After you have the stock quadrant off there should be another smaller plastic pice above the quadrant, this is the factory adjustment which was minimual at best. There will be a spring that raps around it and the clutch pedal arm, getting this spring off is a pain in the ???.

If you look at the Quadrant you are going to install it should have two holes on it, there is two pins on the side of the clutch pedal arm that the new Quadrant needs to be installed on. The smaller plastic pice is installed on the upper pin.