PDA

View Full Version : 1993 Teal Cobra Rebuild Progress

Pages : [1] 2

Dale McPeters
03-23-2008, 09:53 PM
Well I have been doing a lot of work on the cobra over the past couple of weeks. So I decided that I would just start a project car thread since it has went far above what I had originally planned....

This project will probably last the rest of the year and part of next year as real work always seems to get in the way of play time...:jester:

Complete drivetrain has been removed.
Stock block has been put in the scrap pile. (will post pictures of this later as Lee F. can now say that he has definately killed a stock block..:D)
Another stock block is in the machine shop and all existing internals will be swapped to this block for now.

Current items purchased as of 7/14/09 >

Dart 8.2 deck 4 bolt main block purchased on 4/3/09 arrived on 6/9/09 ? (Done)
363 forged rotating assembly w/ dished pistons purchased (Done)
New Anderson B451hr cam & spring package purchased (This week 7/17/09)
New Vortech V2-Si blower pullied for 15-16lbs purchased (Done)
New Fidanza flywheel purchased (Done)
New SFI balancer purchased (Done)
New Arp main & head studs for block above (Done)

Current items installed or about to be installed >

Have installed new deluxe head light kit. (Done)
Have new outside door handles ready to install.
New complete interior screw kit ready for installation.
New 130 amp alternator. (Have but not installed)
New AC upgrades, condensor, brackets, compressor etc.
New radiator and rubber insulators, hoses etc.
New door & hatch weather stripping.
Rebuild T-5 transmission (Done)
New Pypes X-Pipe with Cats (for street & inspection use...:)...) (Done)
New Stainless bolt kit for entire engine including intake etc. (Done)
Install autometer gauges that were in the 347 car.
Permanent install of FJO WB
AFR-165's to machine shop for rework (3/24/08) Back on 3/26/08
Other stock block Back on 3/26/08
To frame shop to have body tweaked (Done)

Future items to be done or bought installed >

Re-built TR-3550 transmission with upgrades and Pro 5.0 shifter.
Rebuild 8.8 & Tig weld rear axle tubes on axle housing.
New Maximum Motorsports type full length subframe connectors.
Repair upper & lower torque boxs and add reinforcments. Along with home made jacking rails. (Partially done)
Billet steel flywheel (have this item)
New front seat upholstry & carpet
Some kind of blower installation (vortec, turbo....Lee H. has not made up his mind for me yet...:D)
Install AEM EMS, GM map, EGT for tuning

All these upgrades additions will be an ongoing transition for the little cobra...:D

Will post pictures as I have time.

Updated on 7/14/09

97cobrasvt
03-24-2008, 06:26 AM
nice sounds like fun and alot of money. good luck

Dale McPeters
03-24-2008, 08:59 AM
nice sounds like fun and alot of money. good luck

Thanks, fortunately I already had a lot of the items that cost a lot of money.

Like the AEM EMS & Tremec 3550 etc.

The only real high dollar item is going to be the boss block & crank. But the cobra is worthy.....:D

QWKSNKE
03-24-2008, 05:17 PM
I still cannot believe the block was cracked.

04 Mach1
03-24-2008, 05:36 PM

I can't beleive it had 1 oil leak:jester:

Dale McPeters
03-24-2008, 06:36 PM
I will get pictures posted in a little while along with the six head studs that I could not get out even by heating the block to the point of melting.....:D

I can't beleive it had 1 oil leak:jester:
Really it just had one oil leak. A steady stream right out the rear of the block.

Ask Lee F. why it was leaking......I just can not bring myself to post the reason....:rofl:

It is a good thing that it was leaking though as I would have never have pulled the engine and found the crack in the block. If I had not pulled it the pistons & rods would have probably been caught by the main girdle.....:jester:

QWKSNKE
03-24-2008, 06:45 PM
I.

Ask Lee F. why it was leaking......I just can not bring myself to post the reason....:rofl:

he already knows :doh:

Dale McPeters
03-24-2008, 08:19 PM
Here are a few pictures look right at the end of the screw driver and you can see the crack...it goes all the way to the cam tunnel. :jester:
It is in the #2 main journal...

Dale McPeters
03-24-2008, 08:21 PM
Here are some pictures of the head studs that I could not get out of the block by any means including the red torch....

More later...as I have to order some more parts from Summit....:D

Dale McPeters
03-24-2008, 08:28 PM
Oh one more showing empty engine bay.....

04 Mach1
03-24-2008, 08:37 PM
Did it still have torque on that main???

Dale McPeters
03-24-2008, 09:30 PM
Did it still have torque on that main???

Yep but after I saw the crack it was useless to check to see what the actual torque was......:jester:

88scgt
03-24-2008, 09:39 PM
you gonna do a tubular front end setup like: k member, a arms and coil overs

Dale McPeters
03-24-2008, 09:51 PM
you gonna do a tubular front end setup like: k member, a arms and coil overs

Probably so later on. Now that it is just going to be my play toy instead of being restored back to factory stock condition.

I have some nice 351w parts that I had originally planned on putting in it but have since changed my mind and will stay with the 8.2 deck block setup.

Dale McPeters
03-25-2008, 07:31 AM
Ordered a few more new parts from Summit last night.
A few of the items were things like arp head bolts, felpro gaskets etc.

Dropped AFR heads off at machine shop yesterday afternoon so that Scott could give them the once over...:)

Hope to have all the parts in by Friday along with the block, heads, cam & pistons. That way I can get it back together this weekend and finally get the green slip inspection done next week. Then I can get some more things accomplished on the car....:D

qkjuicedpony
03-25-2008, 07:41 AM
what kind of 351w parts you got:D

Dale McPeters
03-25-2008, 07:48 AM
what kind of 351w parts you got:D

Good "stuff" ....Scat, JE etc. but none of it is for sale. :D

qkjuicedpony
03-25-2008, 08:12 AM
trade you an 8.2 deck motor for it:D:D
has scat je too:D

coupe
03-25-2008, 08:48 AM
Lee F... why was there a leak on the back of the motor?

Italian LX
03-25-2008, 09:54 AM
Lee F... why was there a leak on the back of the motor?
Probably the same reason why every 302 leaks at the back of the motor. :rofl:

Dale McPeters
03-25-2008, 11:09 AM
Probably the same reason why every 302 leaks at the back of the motor. :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl:

coupe
03-25-2008, 12:23 PM
:lol: okay, then clarify:
A steady stream right out the rear of the block.

Dale McPeters
03-25-2008, 01:02 PM
:lol: okay, then clarify:

It was something about some kind of seal problem .......but I will let Lee F. fill you in on the details. :D

EHardy1971
03-25-2008, 01:05 PM
Either the rear main seal,or between the rear main cap and the block would be my guess!

coupe
03-25-2008, 01:34 PM
Ahhh, I see. Did it look something like this:

http://projectstang.com/306/images/new_engine_before_install/small/preparing-for-rear-main-sea.jpg

Dale McPeters
03-25-2008, 03:37 PM
Ahhh, I see. Did it look something like this:

http://projectstang.com/306/images/new_engine_before_install/small/preparing-for-rear-main-sea.jpg

Well actually that seal looks like it is facing the wrong direction.....:jester:

QWKSNKE
03-25-2008, 04:54 PM
yep. the seal was installed backwards

Dale McPeters
03-25-2008, 06:40 PM
yep. the seal was installed backwards

I still can not believe you did that....it has been a long time since I did anything like that myself....:D

SkurdalenFox
03-26-2008, 09:37 AM
New Stainless bolt kit for entire engine including intake etc.

Did you buy this kit or piece it together yourself?

Dale McPeters
03-26-2008, 10:50 AM
Did you buy this kit or piece it together yourself?

Bought a kit like similiar to what Lee F. had installed. But I guess I lost some bolts with all the bouncing on the trailer on the way back to Tx. :jester:

I have found all the others except for the front water pump bolts that have the provisions for nuts to hold the AC braket....still looking for those...

Italian LX
03-26-2008, 12:13 PM
Bought a kit like similiar to what Lee F. had installed. But I guess I lost some bolts with all the bouncing on the trailer on the way back to Tx. :jester:

I have found all the others except for the front water pump bolts that have the provisions for nuts to hold the AC braket....still looking for those...
My guess is that you didn't lose those bolts -- they were probably never there. The ARP kits are nice for a generic Windsor build, but they lack a lot of the specialty bolts like the long water pump bolts/studs. I think you're able to use maybe two of the long water pump bolts in the kit, but that's about it. You'll have to reuse the studs at the A/C bracket.

Also, the valve cover bolts are not long enough to use, the long alternator bolts is wrong for the newer model cars, and the oil pan bolts are too short for the stock pan/reinforcement bar set-up (okay for use with an aftermarket pan).

LeeH
03-26-2008, 12:55 PM
My guess is that you didn't lose those bolts -- they were probably never there.

I might agree with that statement except for the header bolts which removed themselves.

Dale McPeters
03-26-2008, 12:59 PM
OK guys here is a link for the stainless bolt kits for the Ford 5.0 EFI cars >

http://www.mmsacc-stainless.com/html/ford.htm

Hope that helps someone out.....:jester:

Italian LX
03-26-2008, 01:53 PM
OK guys here is a link for the stainless bolt kits for the Ford 5.0 EFI cars >

http://www.mmsacc-stainless.com/html/ford.htm

Hope that helps someone out.....:jester:
Oh, okay. I thought you got the ARP kit like Lee and I have used. My above post as refering to those kits.

EHardy1971
03-26-2008, 03:37 PM
That's a good price on those kits too!

Dale McPeters
03-26-2008, 07:17 PM
That's a good price on those kits too!
Yep. :)

Look at what I picked up at the machine shop a little while ago....
Fresh block, crank & AFR heads......:D

SkurdalenFox
03-26-2008, 07:29 PM
he ARP kits are nice for a generic Windsor build, but they lack a lot of the specialty bolts like the long water pump bolts/studs. I think you're able to use maybe two of the long water pump bolts in the kit, but that's about it. You'll have to reuse the studs at the A/C bracket.

I pieced together my own front cover/waterpump/intake/etc. stainless kit from McMaster-Carr because of these problems. I had to buy like 50 of the small fasteners. But, I had enough left over to sell "kits" to local yokels, and I actually came out on top.

Here are the sizes for the front cover stuff if anyone is interested - http://www.streetstangs.net/showthread.php?t=9521

If anyone would like some of my extra nuts/bolts - including the "spacer" nuts that replace the special nut-in-the-middle-of-a-bolt fasteners- shoot me a PM. I'll send what ya want for the shipping cost.

Dale McPeters
03-27-2008, 12:24 PM
See this link for installed spring pressure's for an N-61 cam >

http://www.streetstangs.net/showthread.php?p=146184#post146184

We ended up with 110 lbs on the seat with existing springs. So new springs were installed...:D

Dale McPeters
03-27-2008, 07:06 PM
Summit Racing is your friend.......:D

SkurdalenFox
03-27-2008, 09:59 PM
See this link for installed spring pressure's for an N-61 cam >

http://www.streetstangs.net/showthread.php?p=146184#post146184

We ended up with 110 lbs on the seat with existing springs. So new springs were installed...:D

So the compressor worked out okay?

Dale McPeters
03-28-2008, 06:54 AM
So the compressor worked out okay?

Yes sir it worked like a charm. :D

Dale McPeters
03-28-2008, 08:53 AM
I updated the very first post to reflect the change as outlined below.

Well after talking to Brain at AD performance and emailing a few other guys on Hard Core 5.0 the plans have changed some what as far as what the engine goals are for the little cobra. Due to some minor changes in Fords production of the boss block like changing the cylinder skirt length, I have decided to just go a head with the original plan of going to a 9.5" deck dart sportsman block. I can use all the parts that I currently have except for the Scat 4340 3.00" main 4.1" stroke crank as the dart block has 2.75" mains. Everyone already knew this of course....:D

As far as the cost change it should only be about 300-400 dollars (I think based on prices I was quoted)

Now I need to get busy and sell off some more of my junk!!!! :jester:

coupe
03-28-2008, 01:52 PM
Now you're going off the deep end. Might see some track-times in about 2 years, huh? :D

I know this procedure first hand

waypastcrazy
03-28-2008, 08:01 PM
keep it simple but smart. you will have more fun.lol

Dale McPeters
03-29-2008, 09:49 AM
Now you're going off the deep end. Might see some track-times in about 2 years, huh? :D

I know this procedure first hand

Probably so but as this is the last high H.P. "Hotrod" that I plan to build I think I should just go ahead and get a good after market block to put all my existing 418 forgred parts in?

I thought about using the '70 351w block that I currently have that has been converted to a 4 bolt main cap setup but when I decide to add boost the block is still probably going to be the limiting factor. All the guy's that I have talked to that are running these blocks have still added block fill about half way up the inside of the block. I may just take it down to Pete and get him to sonic test it to see how much meat it really has in the cylinders & main webbing. My guess is that it will still flex without adding block fill....

Not to mention going from a 3.00" main to a 2.75" main will help as the rpms climb.....:jester:

Will just have to see...

Dale McPeters
03-29-2008, 08:12 PM
A few pictures from today.

Dale McPeters
03-29-2008, 08:13 PM
A few more. Also notice that the rear main seal is facing the correct way.....
Have to rib Lee F. a little...:D

qkjuicedpony
03-29-2008, 08:21 PM
FWIW...I've seen stock 351w blocks hold 900+ RHP for a long period of time.Most of them are still running too

Dale McPeters
03-29-2008, 09:37 PM
FWIW...I've seen stock 351w blocks hold 900+ RHP for a long period of time.Most of them are still running too

What year model 351w blocks?

qkjuicedpony
03-30-2008, 06:16 AM
I've seen many early 70's blocks and a few lightning blocks.

One combo has had a fogger and a plate on it with a jericho as well as a procharger blow thru setup and a glide.This motor has been together for a while too

EHardy1971
03-30-2008, 07:08 AM
What year model 351w blocks?
'69 and '70 model blocks are supposed to be the 2 best years,due to being thicker castings,especially in the main webbing.I noticed you have a '70 model,so you should be good to go.

Dale McPeters
03-30-2008, 09:00 AM
I've seen many early 70's blocks and a few lightning blocks.

One combo has had a fogger and a plate on it with a jericho as well as a procharger blow thru setup and a glide.This motor has been together for a while too

Do any of the setups have any block fill in the block to stabilize the bottom end harmonics?

Actually I have a '69 std. bore with 2 bolt mains & a '71 std. bore with a 4 bolt main conversion....:jester:

I just want to make sure that I have at least a 20-25% safety factor between the rwhp goal and what the block will actually handle. The max hp goal at the track should be somewhere in the 750+ rwhp range. At about 7200rpm max. as that is where the solid roller that Jay ground for me is supposed to work the best.

On the street it can be dialed back to about 550-600rwhp. One of the biggest concerns is main cap walk/flexing due to rpm and the 3" mains.

Will just have to wait & see what Pete finds when he sonic tests the '71 model block.

EHardy1971
03-30-2008, 11:54 AM
Dale,what are the casting #'s on those blocks?

Dale McPeters
03-30-2008, 12:20 PM
Dale,what are the casting #'s on those blocks?

These are the casting numbers. What I thought was a '70 is in fact a '71 as it has the D1 at the beginning. Will have to check my date code chart.

'69 2 bolt= C9OE
'71 4 Bolt conversion = D1AE

EHardy1971
03-30-2008, 01:11 PM
I'd go with the '69 myself,just my opinion from everything I've read.

Italian LX
03-30-2008, 02:17 PM
These are the casting numbers. What I thought was a '70 may be in fact a '71 as it has the D1 at the beginning. Will have to check my date code chart.

'69 2 bolt= C9OE
'71 4 Bolt conversion = D1AE (checking date code)
Yep. I've got a D2 block myself.

Italian LX
03-30-2008, 02:23 PM
At about 7200rpm max. as that is where the solid roller that Jay ground for me is supposed to work the best.
Wow, that seems awfully high for that big of a stroke. I'm thinking the high rod-ratio and 3" mains won't let that motor last very long at 7000+ rpm. :huh:

However, I'm sure you've done your research. Definitely sounds like a recipe for a mean power plant. :metal:

Dale McPeters
03-30-2008, 03:32 PM
Wow, that seems awfully high for that big of a stroke. I'm thinking the high rod-ratio and 3" mains won't let that motor last very long at 7000+ rpm. :huh:

However, I'm sure you've done your research. Definitely sounds like a recipe for a mean power plant. :metal:

Yep that is high for 3" mains that is the reason I am looking into the Dart block that has 2.75" mains. The shift point on the cam is about 6400-6800 with a max rpm of 7200. A lot of spring pressure on the AFR-225's.

There is one guy here that is turning 7000 rpm with 3" mains. It will live for a while....:jester:

Dale McPeters
04-01-2008, 08:32 PM
Well 306 is rebuilt and ready to set in the cobra......had to buy more parts, new polly locks etc. to replace the existing ones. The existing ones had no way to lock them in place other than the girdle...

I have went way over budget on this little 306 rebuild just trying to get the green slip inspection completed.......although maybe it would now make a nice little motor for my wife's '65 coupe......hmmmm....that and a T5Z 5 speed conversion....:jester:

On a side note I may have sold my '93gt today as a completely stripped rolling chassis......maybe will have to see if the cash shows up....

'71 351w block will be dropped off at the machine shop tomorrow for sonic testing. This will determine if the following can or will be done.

See if the 4 bolt main caps can be dowled in anyway and 2.75" main bearing inserts installed. Hard block up to the freeze plugs. I have another stud girdle to be machined and set in on the 4 bolt main caps. Install 1/8" oil restrictors to keep more oil at the mains since I have a tight lash solid roller...

If the sonic test is no good then it will be a Dart block for the build...

coupe
04-02-2008, 09:42 AM
3" mains at 7000 RPM have a linear velocity of 91 ft./second at the oil boundary. The 2.75" mains are running 84 ft./sec. Both are high but the difference is not that bad. Just lower the viscosity of the oil and/or use a high-end synthetic and you should be fine. :nice:

Dale McPeters
04-02-2008, 03:40 PM
3" mains at 7000 RPM have a linear velocity of 91 ft./second at the oil boundary. The 2.75" mains are running 84 ft./sec. Both are high but the difference is not that bad. Just lower the viscosity of the oil and/or use a high-end synthetic and you should be fine. :nice:

Algebralab.org is my friend....since I have been brain dead the past couple of weeks....:D

Dale McPeters
04-04-2008, 02:58 PM
New Winshield installed today....old one is on the tool cart. The old one will have the window film taken off and then cleaned up
and put in my daughters '88 GT T-Top.

You can also see the little 306 just waiting to go back in....:D
Hope to have it running by late Sunday....have another appointment at the inspection station next week......:)

Has to be ready by the 19th of this month as we have a get together to eat and then go to the local track..:metal:

Dale McPeters
04-04-2008, 03:05 PM
What these have to do with the '93 cobra?

97cobrasvt
04-04-2008, 03:13 PM
What these have to do with the '93 cobra?

Well seeing you have a mig and tig I would say a cage is about to go into it. If It was just a mig I would of thought you was welding some subfram connectors on it if Lee had not done it yet. AM I close??

Dale McPeters
04-04-2008, 03:25 PM
Well seeing you have a mig and tig I would say a cage is about to go into it. If It was just a mig I would of thought you was welding some subfram connectors on it if Lee had not done it yet. AM I close??

ummmm...........maybe.....:D

QWKSNKE
04-04-2008, 03:34 PM

SFC's were installed when I bought the car. He has already removed them and put some full length's on.

I would bet that there are some strut tower brace modifications about to happen and maybe some engine bay hole clean up.

Man that car takes good pictures :nice:

Dale McPeters
04-04-2008, 06:11 PM
SFC's were installed when I bought the car. He has already removed them and put some full length's on.

I would bet that there are some strut tower brace modifications about to happen and maybe some engine bay hole clean up.

Man that car takes good pictures :nice:

That would be correct......full length to be installed as soon as inspection is complete. :D
And it does look good in pictures....:yup:

By the way are you moved yet?

Dale McPeters
04-09-2008, 08:52 PM
Well after having enough spare time...the little 306 engine is in and I finally had time to fire it up tonight....:D

Dale McPeters
04-09-2008, 08:53 PM
there seems to be no oil leak.....:jester:

banditmwp
04-09-2008, 09:06 PM
there seems to be no oil leak.....:jester:

...the hell are those big bulges in the x pipe? :shrug:

:jester:

Dale McPeters
04-09-2008, 09:08 PM
:rofl:.....

yep. :jester:

No really it is the high flow cats..

Rcoupe91svo
04-09-2008, 09:12 PM
or its big balls of steel

coupe
04-10-2008, 08:29 AM
Niiice project progress...

I'll even give ya props for running cats...very responsible. :nice:
Smog pump operational?

Italian LX
04-10-2008, 08:46 AM
Smog pump operational?
Very responsible? :rofl:

He's only doing that to get the inspection sticker on the car. . . after that, the big motor goes in. :evil:

QWKSNKE
04-10-2008, 12:45 PM

He's only doing that to get the inspection sticker on the car. . . after that, the big motor goes in. :evil:

:werd:

Dale McPeters
04-10-2008, 03:11 PM
Niiice project progress...

Smog pump operational?

Yes sir all emission equipment is in place and operational. Good thing I am a pack rat..

And it even idles good...:D

Well that statement is partially true....the cats will be in place at all times when the car is driven on the street, along with all other smog related equipment. The only time they will be removed is when the car goes to the track. That is the reason I wanted the slip fit connections & clamps....:D

Will have seperate tunes for street & strip.

Dale McPeters
04-15-2008, 02:29 PM
Well finally passed the green slip out of state inspection this morning!!!
Will have to post a picture later as I am so happy to be finished with all of that.
Title & Tag paper work is complete. Tags are on the car along with inspection
sticker...now I am legal once again. :jester:

QWKSNKE
04-15-2008, 04:18 PM
Well finally passed the green slip out of state inspection this morning!!!
Will have to post a picture later as I am so happy to be finished with all of that.
Title & Tag paper work is complete. Tags are on the car along with inspection
sticker...now I am legal once again. :jester:

so.....

Are you going to the track this weekend? :D

Dale McPeters
04-16-2008, 06:47 AM
so.....

Are you going to the track this weekend? :D

Yep if I get my other wideband wired in and the sensor has not died from sitting in a box for so long. And if the other T5 transmission parts get here in time.....:D

Maybe I can drive good enough to run a 13-14 sec. quarter mile time....:rofl:

coupe
04-16-2008, 01:25 PM

First time for everything. :jester:

Congrats! :banana:

Italian LX
04-16-2008, 01:32 PM

First time for everything. :jester:

No, that Cobra has been 13's before... rememebr FFW when it had the blower on it. :rofl:

J/K, Lee. :D

coupe
04-16-2008, 01:50 PM
No, that Cobra has been 13's before... rememebr FFW when it had the blower on it. :rofl:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I threw the pitch and you hit the home run! :nice:

QWKSNKE
04-16-2008, 08:31 PM

:tlash:

...when the blower was taking more power than it was giving

Dale McPeters
04-17-2008, 11:58 AM
:rofl: :rofl:

Dale McPeters
04-28-2008, 03:59 PM
Coupe what do you think about these? They are > 2 Precision Industries 60-1's: (have 1000 miles on them)t04e 60-1 fronts (58 trim) on a stage III t31 back half, .63 A/R. Rated @ 630hp each

I have the option to buy them at a reasonable price...

qkjuicedpony
04-28-2008, 04:42 PM
pass the option to me:D

Dale McPeters
04-28-2008, 07:53 PM
pass the option to me:D

Well.....uh........just can't do it. :D

coupe
04-29-2008, 09:36 AM
Yea Dale. Those are nice. :nice:

The description appears to be correct too. 60-1 wheels are 7-blade T4 units. The stage 3 turbine wheel is the largest readily available T3 turbine wheel...hence T3/T4 hybrids.

Perfect for a twin-turbo setup on a 302.

Get a couple pics of the turbine side. If it appears "wet" with oil, then they may be in need of rear seals. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Dale McPeters
04-29-2008, 09:44 AM
Matt here is a picture of the exhaust side. I can not tell if it is wet from him spraying it to get me the numbers or from oil.......I will know this afternoon when I see them in person..If so I will pm you about putting seals etc. in them..:D

coupe
04-29-2008, 02:13 PM
Yea...it's hard to tell in those pics. Looks like they were puking oil, but it might be carb-cleaner or something. Unbolt the turbine housings and take them off to inspect around the heat-shield and the turbine wheel. You will know if it is motor oil or not. Not the end of the world either way.

Keep me informed.

Dale McPeters
05-01-2008, 07:49 AM
Coupe,

Turbo's are in hand and it looks like they definately were puking oil out the rear seal. But I will take the housing off Friday afternoon to make sure.

Now I guess I need to start another project car thread for the turbo's.....:D

coupe
05-01-2008, 09:08 AM
:metal:

Send em in anytime.

Dale McPeters
05-01-2008, 12:24 PM

Send em in anytime.

Will do.
Will pm you about cost guest-a-ment...:jester:

LeeH
05-01-2008, 05:07 PM
There you go, Youre gonna make me buy a YS or YSI. :p

qkjuicedpony
05-01-2008, 05:10 PM

You mean F2 right:D

Dale McPeters
05-01-2008, 05:45 PM

:rofl: ....... you may have to step it up a little. :p

:rofl:
He will be looking for turbo stuff before long.....:D

LeeH
05-01-2008, 09:09 PM
:rofl: ....... you may have to step it up a little. :p

He will be looking for turbo stuff before long.....:D

LOL, You know my turbo is belt driven;)

LeeH
05-01-2008, 09:11 PM

Nah, I want it to be a fair fight:chug: Plus all I have to do is swap head units.:jester:

Dale McPeters
05-20-2008, 01:40 PM
All I have been doing is cleaning and repair work on the interior, carpet, seats etc. etc.
Also removing the old window tint glue. That is a pain by itself!!!

Maybe more updates next week when I go on vacation...unless I take a road trip on my wife's new motor scooter....:jester:

Dale McPeters
06-24-2008, 01:29 PM
The little '93 cobra has turned into a life time project .....:nono:

More later as we are swamped at work this week.....more money for the cobra? :jester:

Dale McPeters
07-21-2008, 04:40 PM
Well since I have spent a small fortune on the '93 cobra in the past few months the project has changed a little for the time being.

Lee Hay and I have did a little more horse trading and I have my old 347 combo back which will be installed in the cobra for now. He has the 418 parts...

The 9.5 dart block is on hold at the moment until I can recover from the money shock and the club that my wife has been beating me over the head with these past few months.......:jester:

I have done a lot of work on the under side of the car that will not show well in pictures. Let's just say that when I am finally finished the body/frame will now take a lot more hp before anything gets tweaked. :D

Will post pictures of the engine mods and other info later as time permits.
Will also update the first page of the thread with relavent info.

coupe
07-21-2008, 07:55 PM
...until I can recover from the club that my wife has been beating me over the head with these past few months.......:jester:

So that's where the thing is!?!! When she's finished, I'm sure my wife would like to have it back, as I've been on a couple spending sprees lately too. :tlash:

Dale McPeters
07-22-2008, 01:14 PM
So that's where the thing is!?!! When she's finished, I'm sure my wife would like to have it back, as I've been on a couple spending sprees lately too. :tlash:

Yep I wish I could get a hold of it I would ship it back to your wife!!! :rofl:
(By the way I got your pm and thanks!!!)

QWKSNKE
07-22-2008, 08:13 PM
I swear, I thought this car was in good shape until Dale bought it.

Of course when he gets through with it, the car will be brand new

Dale McPeters
07-23-2008, 10:29 AM
I swear, I thought this car was in good shape until Dale bought it.

Of course when he gets through with it, the car will be brand new

You know me I am just a picky bastard....:jester:

Yep the 'lil cobra will be brand new when I am done...:D

By the way call me on my cell when you get time. Need to talk about the Dr. Peppers.

Dale McPeters
07-23-2008, 07:35 PM
Here are a few pics of the 347 on the engine stand and TFS-R intake...
This should give the cobra a little more grunt until I can replenish money supply for the big motor.....the little 306 just will not cut it.....:D

LeeH
07-23-2008, 09:41 PM
Here are a few pics of the 347 on the engine stand and TFS-R intake...
This should give the cobra a little more grunt until I can replenish money supply for the big motor.....the little 306 just will not cut it.....:D
Hey those pics look familiar!
LOL, Dale has his old 347 back and I have my old 418 back:jester:

I hope to have the white car running this weekend too, I am looking foreward to seeing how its going to run with a bone stock engine;) or at least a stock short block.

Dale McPeters
07-24-2008, 07:27 AM

I hope to have the white car running this weekend too, I am looking foreward to seeing how its going to run with a bone stock engine;) or at least a stock short block.

Yep the 347 was so happy to be home it had an accident on the shop floor..:rofl:

Now hurry up and get that gt running!!! :jester:

Dale McPeters
07-30-2008, 12:45 PM
Well hopefully more new parts will be in this week.

I ordered the following misc. items >

Aluminum radiator, a different set of full length subframe connectors and a aluminum bronze distributor gear for the new/old MSD distributor to match the CI Jay Allen billet roller cam....:banana:

The above items were ordered from......................................where else Summit Racing and Laraul Mountain Mustangs Ebay store.....:rofl:

Sendero
07-30-2008, 01:22 PM
By the way call me on my cell when you get time. Need to talk about the Dr. Peppers.

Mmmmm... Dublin. :drool:

Dale McPeters
07-30-2008, 02:13 PM

I am going to try to make a trip down toward Dublin in the next month or so....:D

TheJeanyus
07-30-2008, 02:20 PM
:werd: :drool:

QWKSNKE
07-30-2008, 04:02 PM

What is this? 4 times you guys have swapped these same engines to each other?

CrimsonRacing
07-30-2008, 04:04 PM
and..................Dale has a Smurf blue block too QuickDouche......:jester:

so there...........

LeeH
07-30-2008, 05:53 PM
What is this? 4 times you guys have swapped these same engines to each other?

LOL nah just twice. I had so many problems with the house for a while that I didnt see finishing the 418, Dale and I originaly worked out a deal on the 347 as just a short block then we decided to just swap all the parts. Well then we ended up doing it again 3 years later. LOL

LeeH
07-30-2008, 05:55 PM
and..................Dale has a Smurf blue block too QuickDouche......:jester:

so there...........

Hey thats light Ford blue, The Smurfs stole it from Ford. LOL

CrimsonRacing
07-30-2008, 06:08 PM
Hey thats light Ford blue, The Smurfs stole it from Ford. LOL

same color as mine...........

Dale McPeters
07-30-2008, 06:52 PM
:lol:

qkjuicedpony
07-31-2008, 06:53 AM
Hey thats GAY Ford blue, The Smurfs stole it from Ford. LOL

That makes more since:D:D

Dale McPeters
07-31-2008, 07:33 PM
That makes more since:D:D

:gayfight:

Dale McPeters
07-31-2008, 07:39 PM
New fuel pump. Thanks Coupe....:D

Dale McPeters
07-31-2008, 07:41 PM
New/Used MSD Distributor & Aluminum Bronze Gear

Dale McPeters
07-31-2008, 07:41 PM
New rear hatch glass............................................. ...........oh wait I just wiped the one inch of west texas dirt off of it.....:lol:

QWKSNKE
07-31-2008, 08:56 PM
I'll be glad when you get done with the car. That is the longest it has ever sit still

Dale McPeters
08-01-2008, 11:56 AM
I'll be glad when you get done with the car. That is the longest it has ever sit still

Who said it has been sitting still? :jester:

QWKSNKE
08-01-2008, 08:13 PM
Who said it has been sitting still? :jester:

The dust :D

Dale McPeters
08-01-2008, 08:25 PM
The dust :D

Dale McPeters
08-04-2008, 06:30 PM
Hey Lee F. think this will work to keep the dust off of the 'lil cobra.......

Now you will never know if it moves or not.....:lol:

qkjuicedpony
08-04-2008, 06:47 PM
Good Night Lil Cobra...Sleep Tight

Dale McPeters
08-04-2008, 08:36 PM
Good Night Lil Cobra...Sleep Tight

:D..........................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

QWKSNKE
08-04-2008, 08:51 PM

QWKSNKE
08-08-2008, 04:27 PM
you know,
you could hurry up and get done before track day and bring the car here to test it :D

Dale McPeters
08-08-2008, 06:50 PM
you know,
you could hurry up and get done before track day and bring the car here to test it :D

I had thought about that too....:D
Will have to see how my work schedule works out this fall.

The aluminum radiator, pro-torque 4.4 to 1 gear reduction starter and different style subframe connectors came in this week. I will post pictures later when the camera batteries charge back up.

Dale McPeters
08-17-2008, 07:26 PM
Well since the 'lil cobra is sleeping for a while now I figured it needed it's own parking sign.............see attached. :D

qkjuicedpony
08-17-2008, 07:40 PM
When it becomes attached to the shop floor you can get it "ROOTS" on dvd:D:D

Dale McPeters
08-17-2008, 07:52 PM
When it becomes attached to the shop floor you can get it "ROOTS" on dvd:D:D
I already have a copy but just have not set the TV up in the shop yet!! :lol:

Dale McPeters
10-15-2008, 03:45 PM
Updated very first post.....

Well I have not done anything to the cobra in the past few months.
I did recieve the new aluminum radiator, high torque starter, different subframe connectors and a few other odds and ends.

But for the time being all work on the cobra has been suspended until futher notice. May take a couple years or more to finish this little project depending on who is elected president!!!

:dump: <-------me trying to ***t some more of that green paper.

LeeH
10-15-2008, 05:09 PM
Updated very first post.....

Well I have not done anything to the cobra in the past few months.
I did recieve the new aluminum radiator, high torque starter, different subframe connectors and a few other odds and ends.

But for the time being all work on the cobra has been suspended until futher notice. May take a couple years or more to finish this little project depending on who is elected president!!!

:dump: <-------me trying to ***t some more of that green paper.

LOL, I agree.
All have to do is finish the 93 and 89, The 93 will be 100% bone stock except for SFCs and jacking rails. The 89 is "the never ending project" but UPS is bringing me some parts tonight for the white car. :chug:
The Capri is officially "old faithfull" and the white car is soon to be finished, Well its about 1500 bux from being ready for paint. LOL

Dale McPeters
10-21-2008, 01:27 PM
LOL, I agree.
All have to do is finish the 93 and 89, The 93 will be 100% bone stock except for SFCs and jacking rails. The 89 is "the never ending project" but UPS is bringing me some parts tonight for the white car. :chug:
The Capri is officially "old faithfull" and the white car is soon to be finished, Well its about 1500 bux from being ready for paint. LOL

Has your daughter been after you to get it finished? :jester:
By the way you do know that she is the only reason I sold you the '93 don't you? :p

Well on my part.......after adding the T-Top car to my collection and buying all the parts that I have bought in the past few months I am just about tired of working on mustangs for a while.

Time to ride the FJR and relax for a little while!!! :D

LeeH
10-21-2008, 11:40 PM
Has your daughter been after you to get it finished? :jester:
By the way you do know that she is the only reason I sold you the '93 don't you? :p

Well on my part.......after adding the T-Top car to my collection and buying all the parts that I have bought in the past few months I am just about tired of working on mustangs for a while.

Time to ride the FJR and relax for a little while!!! :D

Yep she is bugging me about it but I don't think she realizes that she is going to have to help me.

I know but it is for a worthy cause and as long as she takes care of it all will be fine.:pray:

Dale McPeters
03-24-2009, 07:54 PM
Oops work has resumed on the '93 cobra......more parts sitting in the shop waiting to be installed. :D

SlowJoe
03-24-2009, 07:55 PM
Oops work has resumed on the '93 cobra......more parts sitting in the shop waiting to be installed. :D

:pics:

Dale McPeters
03-27-2009, 09:14 PM
Later.....:D

ChipR4cam
03-28-2009, 01:46 PM
:pics:

:stupid:

Dale McPeters
04-03-2009, 09:18 PM
Dart Block ordered today.......:metal:

coupe
04-06-2009, 08:24 AM
Good choice. Tired of playing around, huh? :metal:

Dale McPeters
04-06-2009, 10:26 AM
Good choice. Tired of playing around, huh? :metal:

Yes sir.....need something that will handle the extra air going into and out of the engine......:jester:

ncontt
04-08-2009, 05:25 AM
Dart Block ordered today.......:metal:

:fireguy:=:metal:

Dale McPeters
04-08-2009, 04:07 PM
:fireguy:=:metal:

By the way did you sell that turbo kit you had?

ncontt
04-09-2009, 05:17 AM
ya...that Incon Kit is LONNNNNNG gone...it's got a Pony Down stage 3 kit on it now (good for 1400HP or so I'm told) Just need to get a meter and another turbo, I got all the piping and intercooler for a song. Then some sort of chip/tuner and I'll be back riding (after I reinstall the seats) since I put new carpet in it and did some sound abatement with a "homemade" mixture of "micro balloons" AKA lizardskin......and cheap paint.

ncontt
04-09-2009, 04:42 PM
ya...that Incon Kit is LONNNNNNG gone...it's got a Pony Down stage 3 kit on it now (good for 1400HP or so I'm told) Just need to get a meter and another turbo, I got all the piping and intercooler for a song. Then some sort of chip/tuner and I'll be back riding (after I reinstall the seats) since I put new carpet in it and did some sound abatement with a "homemade" mixture of "micro balloons" AKA lizardskin......and cheap paint.

Dale McPeters
04-18-2009, 05:51 PM

How do you like the craftsmanship on the Pony Down piping? Since you do not have the Incon kit any more and I can not seem to locate one at a reasonable price any where I talked to Brian at BG about a set of twin turbo headers that will allow me to keep all of the factory equipment in place (inspection purposes etc.). He gave me a fairly decent price on the headers..so we will see what happens....:D

By the way do you remember what the part numbers were on those fuel pumps you had installed on the mustang with the push lock blue fuel line?

QWKSNKE
04-18-2009, 08:56 PM

I think you need to update your project thread :D

ncontt
04-19-2009, 07:19 AM
I think you need to update your project thread :D

Me thinks you would be correct...haha

Dale, the pumps I had when I had the Incon kit were the 255 Inline Walbro's (Gsl392's)

I'm pretty impressed (just looking) at the Ponydown stuff, the intercooler is HUGE, almost too big for me (told it's good to 1400hp :yikes: ) it's just that the turbo I have now (GT4082) is too "long" on the discharge side of the exh. housing and it's got my downpipe at a funny angle and I can't get it hooked up, that coupled with the fact it almost hits my radiator...I'm looking at some space issues, but then again, none of this build has been plug and play (for the most part).....

Brad

Dale McPeters
06-11-2009, 04:14 PM
Well the Dart block finally arrived...:D

Dale McPeters
07-14-2009, 06:36 PM
Well work on the cobra has been slow as of late but I think things are really going to start getting busy....:D

One thing I will say is that Brain @ AD Performance, Rick at Anderson Ford, Mark O'Neal @ Probe/CHP and Bob Kurgan @ Kurgan Motorsports have all been very very helpful to me while I have been trying to pull all of this together....and a big thanks goes out to all of them. Even Brain Kostner....:lol:

I updated the first post and here are a few more small items that have been purchased or are about to be.....
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dart 8.2 deck 4 bolt main block purchased on 4/3/09 arrived on 6/9/09 ? (Done)
363 forged rotating assembly w/ dished pistons purchased (Done)
New Anderson B451hr cam & spring package purchased (This week 7/17/09)
New Vortech V2-Si Real Street tuner Kit blower pullied for 15-16lbs purchased (Done)
New Fidanza flywheel purchased (Done)
New SFI balancer purchased (Done)
New Arp main & head studs for block above (Done)
Meth Injection (still have not decided on who's kit yet)
----------------------------------------------------------------------

With this combination I should be able to get into the 650-750 hp range....

I still need to get with Matt about a new clutch assembly...but that is going to have to wait until the dust settles from buying all the items from above...

Of course the car will be de-tuned for street driving. :D

TheJeanyus
07-14-2009, 06:52 PM

What kind of trans is going behind all of that?

Dale McPeters
07-14-2009, 07:01 PM

What kind of trans is going behind all of that?

A Handlon Motorsports modified TR-3550. It will be updated to 26/31 spline input output with a few more minor upgrades...:jester:

qkjuicedpony
07-14-2009, 07:22 PM
A Handlon Motorsports modified TR-3550. It will be updated to 26/31 spline input output with a few more minor upgrades...:jester:

Come take a spin with my Gforce trans and you will throw rocks at a tremec:jester:

Dale McPeters
07-14-2009, 07:26 PM
Come take a spin with my Gforce trans and you will throw rocks at a tremec:jester:

Well maybe but I just like my old heavy TR-3550...:jester:

coupe
07-15-2009, 08:09 AM
A T5 is a great transmission, especially with a GForce or Astro competition setup in it... but I love a 3550 with the "TKO" stuff. Wow, what a trans!

Dale McPeters
07-15-2009, 07:35 PM
but I love a 3550 with the "TKO" stuff. Wow, what a trans!

Yep me too. :D
They remind me of the old 4 speed top loaders except with one more gear....

(they really are top loaders) :jester:

93Cobra#2771
07-21-2009, 08:05 AM
So, when are you going to stop playing and get serious? :jester:

Dale McPeters
07-21-2009, 06:16 PM
So, when are you going to stop playing and get serious? :jester:

Holy cow look who finally made a post after all these years!! :metal:
(By the way I got your pm reply on the corral)

Well I hope to get serious with the car on the next build. :D

93Cobra#2771
07-21-2009, 07:12 PM
Yeah, my Internet time is severely limited since I drive a lot doing my sales job. Between that, living 100 yards from my widowed mother in law, taking care of her farm, little league baseball and gymnastics, I stay kinda busy.

Dale McPeters
07-21-2009, 07:15 PM
Yeah, my Internet time is severely limited since I drive a lot doing my sales job. Between that, living 100 yards from my widowed mother in law, taking care of her farm, little league baseball and gymnastics, I stay kinda busy.

I would say so!!!

I should be coming up that way this fall. You may have to make some time for us to go get a burger or something. That is if I get the VP-44 injector pump on my truck any time soon......

93Cobra#2771
07-22-2009, 03:39 PM
That's one advantage to my job. I get to set my own schedule. :-)

Dale McPeters
07-22-2009, 06:55 PM
That's one advantage to my job. I get to set my own schedule. :-)

I will give you a call later. :D

Dale McPeters
08-01-2009, 11:13 AM
Well UPS delivered some big brown box from the state of California last night.
I wonder what could be inside that box......:shrug:

93cobra1928
08-01-2009, 12:22 PM
Illegal alien? :shrug:

ncontt
08-07-2009, 05:29 PM
illegal alien? :shrug: :lol:

Dale McPeters
08-16-2009, 09:29 PM
Illegal alien? :shrug:

Well.......maybe.

Actually it was the Vortech Real Street Kit...:D

I will get some pictures up when I have more time...

Dale McPeters
09-26-2009, 10:15 AM
Well I have not posted any pictures lately due to our house remodeling project taking a little longer than expected. The wife and I just can not work like we used to when we were younger. But I can say that the football games look real good in HD on the new 65" screen. :wiggle:

The digital camera is buried in a box some where that I can not seem to locate. :lol:

According to Pete all of my specialty request machine work should be complete by next week. Then work on the cobra can resume. I should have quite a few pictures to post in the up coming weeks. If I can find that digital camera.. :D

By the way anybody on the site have a set of 3:27-3.55 gears that are in good shape that they would like to sell before I go and buy new ones? I will post a WTB thread in the for sale forum also...

I just hope that after all these modifications are done on the cobra that it will run at least a 12:99 1/4 mile....I have to be at least a 1/10th quicker than Eric and just a shade quicker than Lee F. was with the D1 blower......:rofl:

QWKSNKE
09-26-2009, 08:59 PM
I just hope that after all these modifications are done on the cobra that it will run at least a 12:99 1/4 mile....I have to be at least a 1/10th quicker than Eric and just a shade quicker than Lee F. was with the D1 blower......:rofl:

The D1 combo made a lot of 11 sec passes. Just couldn't get it to hook up to get the 10's out of it

Dale McPeters
09-28-2009, 10:42 AM

The D1 combo made a lot of 11 sec passes. Just couldn't get it to hook up to get the 10's out of it

I bet I can make it hook well enough to get into the 12's out here in the desert. :banana2:

QWKSNKE
09-28-2009, 09:28 PM

Dale McPeters
07-06-2010, 07:41 PM
Well it has been a while since I have made any updates to this thread.
I have been working a lot and remodeling the house, pouring concrete and installing a lift.

But now work has resumed on the cobra...well after having to take vacation to be able to work on it..:lol:

Well LeeH and I have been working on a few things. Here he is doing something...:)
http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx344/slow93cobra/07492024.jpg

Dale McPeters
07-06-2010, 07:47 PM
Well the crank is finally in....:lol:
http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx344/slow93cobra/9b57d6a3.jpg

Dale McPeters
07-06-2010, 07:50 PM
My hands are sore dang spiral locks...:lol:
http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx344/slow93cobra/49f7f665.jpg
Did not get the short block finished today as Brian accidentally sent me the wrong rings but he is sending me another set in place of them.

Will post more as time permits...;)

QWKSNKE
07-06-2010, 08:28 PM
nice!

coupe
07-07-2010, 07:27 AM
:drool:

LeeH
07-07-2010, 03:04 PM
Did not get the short block finished today as Brian accidentally sent me the wrong rings but he is sending me another set in place of them.

Will post more as time permits...;)

Well we didn't work on it today but Dale located a set of rings locally from a friend and we should be back in business tomorrow, The Mahle rings Brian sent were drop in's when he was supposed to have sent file to fit and the ring end gap was averaging around .031 for the top ring.

Dale McPeters
07-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Well we didn't work on it today but Dale located a set of rings locally from a friend and we should be back in business tomorrow, The Mahle rings Brian sent were drop in's when he was supposed to have sent file to fit and the ring end gap was averaging around .031 for the top ring.

And these are what I found....well actually I just lucked out and Tony had a spare set on the shelf for his race car...
http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx344/slow93cobra/ddcd0fa8.jpg
So LeeH will not get to sleep in tomorrow...:rofl:

coupe
07-07-2010, 10:42 PM
Those are the same rings I used... except for the bore size of course.
What gap are you shooting for? .031 was probably a little loose, even on the big-bore setup, unless you're either spraying 500 or running a monster blower.

LeeH
07-08-2010, 01:10 AM
Those are the same rings I used... except for the bore size of course.
What gap are you shooting for? .031 was probably a little loose, even on the big-bore setup, unless you're either spraying 500 or running a monster blower.

Well on the Mahle rings the multiplier was .0055 which came out to just under .023 and the Akerly & Childs multiplier is .008 which comes out to .033 so Dale is going to call tomorrow and check with them to make sure.

coupe
07-08-2010, 07:33 AM
I went .006 on top and .007 on bottom (per inch of bore).
But then again, I'm shooting for a good bit of power.

Dale McPeters
07-08-2010, 07:08 PM
I went .006 on top and .007 on bottom (per inch of bore).
But then again, I'm shooting for a good bit of power.

Well I called and talked to them twice today. The first time I called and talked to Ray and told him what my setup was and how much boost. He told me .008 x on top and .0065 on the second ring. Which is .033" top and .027-.028" on the second ring. I worried about it a while and called him back and put him on the speaker so that LeeH could here everything. He told me the same thing as he did the first time....so since I do not know how much the rings grow per deg of temp I followed his advice....
I do however know that the Mahle rings would not have worked at the gap that we had with them.

If I find that Ray at Albert & Childs was wrong and I am down on power or have excessive blow by I will pull it back out and replace them with a set of JE rings as I know what they do...:lol:

nxcoupe
07-08-2010, 11:54 PM
IMHO, as an engine builder for years, that sounds like old school roots blower ring gaps. The newer pistons put the rings way down in the bore for forced induction applications, and the new line of thinking(giving away secrets here) is that the top ring gap should be smaller than the second ring gap to prevent second ring flutter. You don't even want to know how tight my rings are in my r/s car's engine, and I know my rings get very hot. Just throwing that out there. No one is supposed to know more about a person's product than the person who designed it, though, so take it for what it's worth.

EHardy1971
07-09-2010, 01:32 AM
I have to be at least a 1/10th quicker than Eric and just a shade quicker than Lee F. was with the D1 blower......:rofl:
:spit:

coupe
07-09-2010, 07:17 AM
...the new line of thinking(giving away secrets here) is that the top ring gap should be smaller than the second ring gap to prevent second ring flutter. You don't even want to know how tight my rings are in my r/s car's engine, and I know my rings get very hot. Just throwing that out there. No one is supposed to know more about a person's product than the person who designed it, though, so take it for what it's worth.
+1

What are the gaps on the realstreet car's rings Michael? And what bore/horsepower?

nxcoupe
07-09-2010, 10:36 AM
I would like to help out, without giving away what's taken me 4 or 5 years to get figured out. I would say since mine is a 4.040 bore, and I am right around the .020 mark with a 225 shot of spray, and my piston to wall clearance is tighter than most would think, that he could tighten things up a bit and be safe. My hp is another one of those things, but I will say it makes over 750 ft lbs of torque and over 550 hp. Not trying to be coy, just worked hard getting this combo right. You've known me for a long time and it's not been easy street for me. Most of what the piston ring manufacturers, piston manuf, nitrous manuf, and general 'experts' all told me, steered me in the wrong direction. I had to just throw out everything I 'knew' and start from scratch with a lot of what ifs and maybes. then work my ass off affording to try this stuff and fix it when it didnt work, and make sure it was noted when I figured something worked. Hope all this helps out.

Dale McPeters
07-09-2010, 11:12 AM
My ring package is not that far down in the hole and since I have not used the new Ackerly & Childs ring packages I am going to follow their recommended ring gaps they gave me for a 4.125" bore and the amount of boost that I will be running. I consulted three different engine guru's and they couldn't give me a definate answer on these newer rings. So they are what they are...

Now for a few pictures. The short block is together...and LeeH did not sleep in this morning...:D
http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx344/slow93cobra/5ebcaf69.jpg
http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx344/slow93cobra/087704e8.jpg

coupe
07-09-2010, 01:18 PM
:drool: You gonna paint it, right?

The ring gap will probably not make one bit of difference give or take...as long as they're not too close, you're good! :nice:

Dale McPeters
07-09-2010, 03:30 PM
:drool: You gonna paint it, right?

The ring gap will probably not make one bit of difference give or take...as long as they're not too close, you're good! :nice:

Yes sir we are going to paint it. I had LeeH down on his knees digging on the bottom shelf at the parts house looking for one more can of paint that was close to the teal color of the car...:lol:

As far as the ring gap goes I could probably closed them up some but I did not want to take a chance on them butting up under full boost & the heat. And since Ray at Ackerly & Childs insisted on the gaps he specified I figured it would be best to follow his recommendation.

There is one thing that I would like to comment on though. It is the convenient slots that Dart cut into the caps. It sure makes it a breeze removing the caps from the block. See picture below.
http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx344/slow93cobra/8a7c1778.jpg

nxcoupe
07-10-2010, 02:57 AM
Hey, it's your engine and you are ultimately the one that has to fix, pay for, repair whatever happens to it, just thought you were asking for information so I offered it up. just trying to help out.

Wickd GT
07-10-2010, 06:01 AM
Why are you so afraid of the ring gap? You want to know what is my ring gap? These are Total Seal brand, can't go wrong with these rings. .043/.043/ 3/16 ring package, top is what they call it TNT for the nitrous. Here is my ring gap, .032 top .034 bottom. You want the bottom ring bigger so any extra fuel will not be hanging around top and second ring. If you planning to put some good boost to this combo I hope the second ring is not smaller than that .031. A couple of good detonation and they will butt and them rings will be done. I don't use the Childs & Albeit rings, did not last 4 passes on a 225 shot. Best ring out there that I have found is the total seal, great people to deal with too.

Edgar

Dale McPeters
07-10-2010, 08:04 AM
Hey, it's your engine and you are ultimately the one that has to fix, pay for, repair whatever happens to it, just thought you were asking for information so I offered it up. just trying to help out.

Thanks Michael I always store information for further use. And I appreciate it but you are right I am the one that has to eventually pay if it breaks..:D

Why are you so afraid of the ring gap? You want to know what is my ring gap? These are Total Seal brand, can't go wrong with these rings. .043/.043/ 3/16 ring package, top is what they call it TNT for the nitrous. Here is my ring gap, .032 top .034 bottom. You want the bottom ring bigger so any extra fuel will not be hanging around top and second ring. If you planning to put some good boost to this combo I hope the second ring is not smaller than that .031. A couple of good detonation and they will butt and them rings will be done. I don't use the Childs & Albeit rings, did not last 4 passes on a 225 shot. Best ring out there that I have found is the total seal, great people to deal with too.

Edgar

Edgar, I am not afraid of the ring gap that they recommended. It is just that I asked about three different engine "guru's" two of which are some what local to me and I got three different answers on ring gap setup for these rings. And since the rings are not from the original Childs & Albert company (as they went under a few years ago and are now Ackerly & Childs) I did not know if the rings acted the same way. So that is why I had Ray at Ackerly & Childs on the phone twice confirming the ring gaps for this engine. And no I do not want the rings to butt up as that would be a bad thing....:D
And thanks for the info on the total seal rings. ;)

Dale McPeters
07-10-2010, 08:23 AM
I would also like to openly thank LeeH for all the help in getting the short block together....he has better eye sight than I do and caught some things like really small burrs and things that my old eyes could not see any more...:nice:

LeeH
07-10-2010, 12:04 PM
I would also like to openly thank LeeH for all the help in getting the short block together....he has better eye sight than I do and caught some things like really small burrs and things that my old eyes could not see any more...:nice:

No, Thank you Dale for getting me out of the house! I had fun helping you and the break from all the issues I've been going through was a nice change of pace.

Dale McPeters
07-12-2010, 10:36 AM
No, Thank you Dale for getting me out of the house! I had fun helping you and the break from all the issues I've been going through was a nice change of pace.

No No that you....I have a brand new set of reading glasses so now maybe I can see things up close and personal...:lol:

So are you ready to work some more this coming weekend starting on 7/16/10? :D

And don't forget we still have to tear down that other Tremec and fix the idler plug leak too....

LeeH
07-12-2010, 03:14 PM
No No that you....I have a brand new set of reading glasses so now maybe I can see things up close and personal...:lol:

So are you ready to work some more this coming weekend starting on 7/16/10? :D

And don't forget we still have to tear down that other Tremec and fix the idler plug leak too....

I'm always ready!!!!!!!:jester:
I plan on getting the engine out of the 89GT this week if the weather holds out, I just about have Toby's wiring harness done so once I get it installed and the intake on it then he has to swap the fuel lines from his hatch to the coupe but he's going to do that himself and none of this stuff is real pressing if I don't get it done because I have nothing but time until the next surgery....LOL

Dale McPeters
07-12-2010, 04:03 PM
I'm always ready!!!!!!!:jester:
I plan on getting the engine out of the 89GT this week if the weather holds out, I just about have Toby's wiring harness done so once I get it installed and the intake on it then he has to swap the fuel lines from his hatch to the coupe but he's going to do that himself and none of this stuff is real pressing if I don't get it done because I have nothing but time until the next surgery....LOL

I will call you Friday when I get back from the plant....:D

Dale McPeters
07-12-2010, 04:05 PM
Ok coupe the block is painted...:D
It is just a shade darker than the car but you won't be able to see it with all the other stuff in the way..
http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx344/slow93cobra/fc01e0c8.jpg

Dale McPeters
07-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Oil pan and timing cover mockup...
http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx344/slow93cobra/9cf707ca.jpg
http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx344/slow93cobra/ddf437bf.jpg

LeeH
07-12-2010, 06:06 PM
Looks pretty good!

That sure is a nice shade of Ford Pacific Green there. :)

Dale McPeters
07-12-2010, 07:14 PM
For you LeeH...:D
http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx344/slow93cobra/4b25347c.jpg
http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx344/slow93cobra/fb70bc03.jpg

93cobra1928
07-12-2010, 07:19 PM
Looking good Dale :nice:

Dale McPeters
07-12-2010, 07:51 PM
Looking good Dale :nice:

Thank you sir it has been a long time coming. Good thing this the last hotrod type car I am going to build as I am getting to old and things are getting way expensive now days....:jester:

Dale McPeters
07-12-2010, 07:54 PM
Looks pretty good!

That sure is a nice shade of Ford Pacific Green there. :)

Thanks there was some guy off the street picked that color out....:D

LeeH
07-12-2010, 08:14 PM
Thanks there was some guy off the street picked that color out....:D

LOL...Sounds like he was a pretty smart feller.:wave2:

86GTPONY
07-12-2010, 08:19 PM
Good call on the polished timing chain cover Dale! Is that a factory piece? Everything looks awesome!!! :metal:

LeeH
07-12-2010, 08:21 PM
Good call on the polished timing chain cover Dale! Is that a factory piece? Everything looks awesome!!! :metal:

It's a new replacement cover from 5.0resto.

Dale McPeters
07-12-2010, 08:35 PM
LOL...Sounds like he was a pretty smart feller.:wave2:
Yep....:D

Thanks and as LeeH stated a replacement from 5.0 resto. They know me by name...:lol:

LeeH
07-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Yep....:D

Thanks and as LeeH stated a replacement from 5.0 resto. They know me by name...:lol:

They have a line dedicated to Dale, Think "Bat phone" and that's how Dale and 5.0resto communicate.:D

Dale McPeters
07-12-2010, 09:51 PM
They have a line dedicated to Dale, Think "Bat phone" and that's how Dale and 5.0resto communicate.:D

:spit:.....that is basically a true statement...:rofl:

86GTPONY
07-12-2010, 10:22 PM
:lol: Anyway... Looks like someone spent a little time on it before you put it on!

LeeH
07-12-2010, 10:25 PM
It's mexican chrome, aka silver paint. :rofl:

TheJeanyus
07-13-2010, 07:15 AM

86GTPONY
07-13-2010, 07:30 AM

:lol: Really? Kinda hard to tell - the pics are blurry.

Dale McPeters
07-13-2010, 12:41 PM
:lol: Really? Kinda hard to tell - the pics are blurry.

Yeah the pictures are a little blurry as I have been using my i-phone. Still do not know what we did with our digital camera during the house remodel....:jester:

LeeH
07-13-2010, 01:07 PM
Yeah the pictures are a little blurry as I have been using my i-phone. Still do not know what we did with our digital camera during the house remodel....:jester:

I bet you dry walled over it.......LOL

Dale McPeters
07-14-2010, 08:36 AM
I bet you dry walled over it.......LOL

:spit:....you may be correct....:jester:
By the way no work on the cobra at all last night. Got in to late and it was hotter than......well you know. :D

LeeH
07-14-2010, 03:53 PM
:spit:....you may be correct....:jester:
By the way no work on the cobra at all last night. Got in to late and it was hotter than......well you know. :D

LOL, I still havent pulled the engine out of the 89GT in the back..LOL

Dale McPeters
07-17-2010, 10:54 AM
Well the baby 347 lost it's induction system today...
http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx344/slow93cobra/9cf047a8.jpg

Dale McPeters
07-17-2010, 11:16 AM
And now the 347 is sleeping waiting to go into the '88 t-top car...
http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx344/slow93cobra/ca563d24.jpg

Dale McPeters
07-17-2010, 11:19 AM
And the little baby cleaned up 185 heads are ready to go to Pete to have a little work done on them....:D
http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx344/slow93cobra/3cc17121.jpg

Dale McPeters
07-17-2010, 11:23 AM
Valve train waiting to be cleaned up and re-installed on the 363 blower motor.
http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx344/slow93cobra/2b371d69.jpg

Dale McPeters
07-17-2010, 11:27 AM
The little FJR waiting patiently for the cobra to be finished..
http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx344/slow93cobra/6cc1ed75.jpg

waypastcrazy
07-17-2010, 01:07 PM
Coming along nicely there Dale. Expensive yea!old my ass we will never be to old!lol.it is an addiction!but we do need to think about retirement not!jk

Dale McPeters
07-17-2010, 07:44 PM
Coming along nicely there Dale. Expensive yea!old my ass we will never be to old!lol.it is an addiction!but we do need to think about retirement not!jk

Thanks and yep it is coming along fairly quick thanks to LeeH. He has been a tremendous help on the cobra and the black t-top car.

Yeah I think hot rodding and cars are in the blood but I am going to have to slow down on my spending or you guys are going to here my colt .45 ringing all the way down there.....it will be my wife taking pot shots at me for buying another car or spending it on go fast parts...:lol:

And yeah I don't think that I will ever be able to retire. The more I make the more I have to pay in taxes or to the gubberment...:(

Dale McPeters
07-30-2010, 03:20 PM
Well a trip to eBay produced these little gems from a local machinest that I know. And the good thing is they only cost me $56 total. Who would have ever thought that would happen. First good deal I have ran across like that in years!! :D

They will be cleaned up and used on the 363 along with the AEM EMS & EPM. That way I can get away from the TFI module...
http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx344/slow93cobra/2f4f7529.jpg

LeeH
07-30-2010, 03:24 PM
That way I can get away from the TFI module...
http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx344/slow93cobra/2f4f7529.jpg

Hmmmmmmmmmm

You need a cam plug instead of that MSD :D

Dale McPeters
07-30-2010, 03:28 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmm

You need a cam plug instead of that MSD :D

Why yes I do....and Kurgan has one waiting on my phone call....:D

LeeH
07-30-2010, 03:29 PM
Why yes I do....and Kurgan has one waiting on my phone call....:D

Exploder cam plugs are a dime a dozen :D

Dale McPeters
07-30-2010, 03:32 PM
Exploder cam plugs are a dime a dozen :D

Yeah but you have to machine them and change out the shaft, gear from what I was told? Was I misinformed?

LeeH
07-30-2010, 03:35 PM
Yeah but you have to machine them and change out the shaft, gear from what I was told? Was I misinformed?

I believe you were, the exploders use a roller cam and they still drive the oil pump with them.

Dale McPeters
07-30-2010, 03:37 PM
I believe you were, the exploders use a roller cam and they still drive the oil pump with them.

Ok I will answer your phone call now....:lol:

Dale McPeters
07-30-2010, 04:01 PM
Still have to have a 12 tooth crank trigger wheel if I use the exploder cam sync plug...:D
With the AEM EPM I don't.....;)

But at this point I am still open to all options. :D

LeeH
07-30-2010, 04:35 PM
Still have to have a 12 tooth crank trigger wheel if I use the exploder cam sync plug...:D
With the AEM EPM I don't.....;)

But at this point I am still open to all options. :D

Use an accel dual sync dist.......LOL

LeeH
07-30-2010, 04:38 PM
put a mag pick up in your bell housing and grind every 3rd tooth off your ring gear........ROFLMAO :rofl:

Dale McPeters
07-30-2010, 04:56 PM
put a mag pick up in your bell housing and grind every 3rd tooth off your ring gear........ROFLMAO :rofl:

:spit:....:rofl:

Dale McPeters
08-07-2010, 01:20 PM
Well back on overtime at work so no progress on the cobra for a while.....I guess I am going to have to use all my vacation just to get the dang thing finished.......

Dale McPeters
08-27-2010, 10:55 AM
Well even if I don't have time to work on the car at least I can look at the parts.....some wiring pigtails for the coils
http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx344/slow93cobra/72cd89d9.jpg

coupe
08-27-2010, 11:30 AM
coils ??? :think:

QWKSNKE
08-27-2010, 12:26 PM

:yup:

Dale McPeters
08-27-2010, 09:17 PM

Yep eight of them....:D
Oh and by the way I will reply to your pm's sometime Sat. Been very busy..

EZ SPEED
08-28-2010, 03:27 AM
Yup, those GM parts should help up the horsepower significantly :jester:

Glad to see that your still making progress :chug:

QWKSNKE
08-28-2010, 06:57 AM

:slap: :tlash:

EZ SPEED
08-28-2010, 07:07 AM

Dale McPeters
08-31-2010, 07:21 AM

Glad to see that your still making progress :chug:

Yep the LS1/LQ9 coil packs & the AEM EPM will help a lot....
Also received my big order from LRS/5.0 Resto so there are some more items
to install...:D

And progress is has been very very slow...............:(

Looks like I will have to use more vacation to get it finished. Which may be a good thing as it means I still have a job!!

:slap: :tlash:

:spit: