PDA

View Full Version : Radiator????

04 Mach1
04-04-2008, 08:07 AM
What radiator are ya running with about 500rwhp?? I can't seem to keep my temps under the 200 mark . Currently running a Griffin 24x19 with 2 one inch rows. I have cut the center out of the stat seems like it don't get hot near as quik but once the temps sees 190 it impossible to get it to come back down while its running. If I plan on making FFW in the middle of June(atleast 90 degree weather) I got to get this temp issue taken care of!!! Open to suggestions.

EHardy1971
04-04-2008, 08:17 AM
Have you tried running some water wetter in it Marc?I can't remember if you're running an electric fan or not.

Italian LX
04-04-2008, 08:19 AM
What radiator are ya running with about 500rwhp?? I can't seem to keep my temps under the 200 mark . Currently running a Griffin 24x19 with 2 one inch rows.
That's a pretty decent radiator you have there. Any chance that the radiator is just old and clogged? How long have you had it?

I have cut the center out of the stat seems like it don't get hot near as quik but once the temps sees 190 it impossible to get it to come back down while its running.
Were you having an issue before you did this? Seems like disabling the t-stat would hurt you more by flowing too much and not allowing the water to stay in the radiator long enough to benefit from the cooling effect. :shrug:

If I plan on making FFW in the middle of June(atleast 90 degree weather) I got to get this temp issue taken care of!!! Open to suggestions.
Yep, I'm planning on the heat to thin out the field and help me get into the top 20 this year. :D

04 Mach1
04-04-2008, 08:35 AM
Its only rated to 400 hp. I have taken it out and flushed it both ways don't seem to be clogged. With t-stat it will pretty much go straight to the 180 mark even with a 160 in it. At idle it trickles threw the core and increases with rpm. The radiator is not the direct fit for the mustang. Its on the smaller side oem being 29x19 mine 24x19. I tryied every kind of water wetter.

Brian
What did you have to do to fix your over heating problem. Other than some more holes in the bumber.

Italian LX
04-04-2008, 08:53 AM
Brian
What did you have to do to fix your over heating problem. Other than some more holes in the bumber.
I think my issue may have been a clogged (or just crappy) radiator. It was a 3-core radiator from a parts store (I bought about 5 years ago) but as I began modding my 302 more and more, it lost its ability to cool during extreme conditions. I kind of wrote most of it off to the inefficiency of the electric fan. (Especially since Lee switched from his electric set-up back to the stock clutch fan/shroud and I believe that fixed most of his cooling problems.)

I bought a brand new Ford Motorsport aluminum radiator from Summit a couple weeks ago to see if that would help any. So far, it seems to work really well, but the true test will be once it starts getting hot. I'm anxuious to see how it will do on Quintard with the A/C running.... that will be the true test.

EHardy1971
04-04-2008, 11:01 AM
Marc,I have that 17" flex fan laying out in my shop that I had on my coupe.I was going to list it on here with some other stuff,but if you want to borrow it and see if it helps you out,just let me know!

qkjuicedpony
04-04-2008, 11:59 AM
It isn't your radiator thats the problem.

You need a good efficient electric fan and you also need to ensure that as much air as possible goes thru the radiator and not around it.

SkurdalenFox
04-04-2008, 01:21 PM
It isn't your radiator thats the problem.

You need a good efficient electric fan and you also need to ensure that as much air as possible goes thru the radiator and not around it.

Yep.

Also, what sort of waterpump are you running? That can make a huge difference too. Every replacement type pump from the parts store I've ever seen was pretty crappy.

03slobra
04-04-2008, 03:51 PM
I paid 10 bucks for a taurus fan at junkyard and my car wont get over 165 with fan on.What kind is yours marc?

Craig K.
04-04-2008, 05:31 PM
Thats a food radiator, though I have (I believe) the 29" in my '85, the thing barely fits in the core support.

How about the water pump, I would suggest a good aftermarket, like Edelbrock, I ran theirs for a year of racing and never had problems.

Also what about adding in an oil cooler, will this help distribute the heat better?

EHardy1971
04-04-2008, 09:22 PM
I paid 10 bucks for a taurus fan at junkyard and my car wont get over 165 with fan on.What kind is yours marc?
That's what I've got,I also read somewhere that a Dodge Intrepid(dual electric) fan is pretty much a direct fit,although that's for a factory size Fox radiator.

04 Mach1
04-04-2008, 09:37 PM
After talking to Preston and taking a good hard looking I beleive I might be asking a little much. Agree with Brian about the air must go through it not around so I plan on putting some tin on the side to go all the way across the front to help direct the air to the radiator. Next when its running warm(200+)I'm usually trying to cruise at 65mph while turning 3200 rpms.

03slobra
04-04-2008, 09:47 PM
What about the 540 hp dyno pull today,not gonna post it????????

04 Mach1
04-04-2008, 09:59 PM
Damn min-e-me just ruin all my news:jester: . I posted at Its Alive thread in the breakroom.

SkurdalenFox
04-04-2008, 10:46 PM
After talking to Preston and taking a good hard looking I beleive I might be asking a little much. Agree with Brian about the air must go through it not around so I plan on putting some tin on the side to go all the way across the front to help direct the air to the radiator. Next when its running warm(200+)I'm usually trying to cruise at 65mph while turning 3200 rpms.

http://corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36856&highlight=radiator+duct

If you're having cooling issues at 65 mph, it's not your fan.

Before you go through the trouble of ducting your radiator, put a good waterpump on it. I highly recommend the Stewart Stage 1. I'll post some comparison shots later that show how much better it is than a generic replacement pump.

If a clean radiator, a good fan, and a good pump don't cool the car...
http://corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9385

Purple1995Pony
04-05-2008, 08:43 AM
if price is not an issue then get one of these. sounds to me like it may be the radiator is too small for that hp. but make sure your water pump is good too.

http://www.rondavisradiators.com/drag.htm (http://www.rondavisradiators.com/drag.htm)

or better priced

http://www.musclemotorsports.com/600hpmodels.html (http://www.musclemotorsports.com/600hpmodels.html)

04 Mach1
04-05-2008, 07:24 PM
If you're having cooling issues at 65 mph, it's not your fan.

I know at 65 the fan does not really aid in the cooling. Its got to be going around the radiator. Thats was good ideal the box going into the radiator. I've never seen one done on a fox. I beleive I'm going to getto it first with some cardboard on the sides of the radiator.