PDA

View Full Version : Is my fuel reg. bad?

ncontt
04-10-2008, 09:00 PM
OK, we got the fairmont to crank today and run ( for a little) checked fuel pressure and it was 70PSI :think: no matter what we did to adjust the FP (Kirban billet AFR) it wouldn't budge from 70 psi. on stock foxbody rails

Now for some background info for those just joining us....lol.

Motor is a 331 with stage 2 TFS cam, 1.6 RR's, ported cobra upper/lower, edelbrock gear drive, TFS stage 2 heads, and a 255 intank pump....I guess the secondary question would be opinions on whether or not the 255 is TOO much pump for this motor (I think it is...)

We took the regulator apart and there were no ruptures in the membrane and everything appeared to be OK inside it (not that I'd know if it was messed up...lol)

So I need your opinions....should I step down to a smaller pump? or try another regulator?

Thanks.
Brad

banditmwp
04-10-2008, 09:14 PM
in theory, a properly operating regulator should eliminate "too much" fuel pump...

04 Mach1
04-10-2008, 09:47 PM
Pinched return line or clogged return.

EHardy1971
04-10-2008, 10:55 PM
:yup: Or a bad check valve.

ncontt
04-10-2008, 11:02 PM
now the pinched line sounds possible as these are the mustang hard lines that have been made to "fit" the fairmont.....I'll check tomorrow...matter of fact...might be the plastic part of the return line....

coupe
04-11-2008, 07:45 AM
Yea, bad line somewhere in the return after the regulator (or something clogging line).

ncontt
04-14-2008, 06:01 AM

ding ding ding.....we have a winner. The plastic part of the return line (right by the pass. side fenderwell) was basically FOLDED in 1/2 :banghead: :banghead: .

Going to try and get it fixed today and then get timing/FP set properly and then to set the TV pressure (or just put in the PA trans/elec. OD valve body :metal: )

thanks for the ideas guys....

I'll have some pics/audio/video if I can get some batteries for the camera