PDA

View Full Version : 302-stroker or 351

tayzoid1
04-24-2008, 08:50 PM
ok this is my question, besides the motor being taller what other diffrences are there between putting a 302 in a fox and putting in a 351. i have heard of somone having some expirence(brian) on doing this swap. thinkin about doin somthing like this, any info is appreciated.
ohh and can i use the same bell housing anf tranny or douse that have to come out too?

thanks
taylor

militarymustang88gt
04-24-2008, 09:08 PM
same trans bellhousing and timing cover need a new lower intake or new carb intake. need different headers. need to widen fuel rails if efi and a special oil pan to let the 351 fit in the fox chassis

oh yeah and you need the 351 efi distributor or a 351 if carbed because of the fatter shaft and bearing.

mrmustangconvert
04-24-2008, 11:14 PM
i can sell you the oil pan conversion set including the pickup, that and the headers is the only major thing to converting to a 351.

sleepinggt
04-25-2008, 01:38 AM
doug knows a little about it might wanna ask him what he did(i'm a mod motor guy:eric:)

Italian LX
04-25-2008, 06:41 AM
. . . the oil pan conversion set including the pickup, that and the headers is the only major thing to converting to a 351.
. . . and the distributor, and injectors, and pushrods, and lifters, and MAF, etc, etc, . . . .

If you plan on going the cheap route (using as much stuff from your 302 as possible) then don't let anyone fool you into thinking that it is not much more than a 302 swap. There are a lot of things that need to be changed that can add up pretty quickly.... of course, it also depends on whether you were planning on upgrading that stuff in your 302 anyway (in which case, it may cancel out the added cost of going with the taller deck block).

However, if you are pricing the difference between a really good 302 build and a really good 351 build, then the pricing won't be much different since, in both cases, you'll likely be bying all new stuff anyway.

mrmustangconvert
04-25-2008, 08:49 AM
. . . and the distributor, and injectors, and pushrods, and lifters, and MAF, etc, etc, . . . .

If you plan on going the cheap route (using as much stuff from your 302 as possible) then don't let anyone fool you into thinking that it is not much more than a 302 swap. There are a lot of things that need to be changed that can add up pretty quickly.... of course, it also depends on whether you were planning on upgrading that stuff in your 302 anyway (in which case, it may cancel out the added cost of going with the taller deck block).

However, if you are pricing the difference between a really good 302 build and a really good 351 build, then the pricing won't be much different since, in both cases, you'll likely be bying all new stuff anyway.

i agree but if you wanted to carb it, then it would be no big deal. i cant imagin messing with fuel injection, especially converting to a diffrent motor. also if you are starting from scratch, a 351 based block will be your best bet, also pick up a late 60s early 70s 351 if you can, in my opinion they are the best pushrod blocks that ford ever made.

Italian LX
04-25-2008, 09:11 AM
i agree but if you wanted to carb it, then it would be no big deal. i cant imagin messing with fuel injection, especially converting to a diffrent motor.
I guess that's just a difference of opinion. I, myself, can't imaging messing with a carb, especially if the car is already EFI.

EHardy1971
04-25-2008, 10:24 AM
You can also use the oil pan and pickup from either a crown vic,or E-series van with the 351 since they are both double sump pans.You would also need the adapter bracket to run the 302 serpentine setup too.

tayzoid1
04-25-2008, 11:33 AM
ok well i gues i might justr stick w/ the 302 block and go 331 becouse i have heard something about the pistons on the 347 are too thin and something about not having good life and the rings are bad to go out or sumthing like that

03slobra
04-25-2008, 12:09 PM
I dont think there is much of a problem with that anymore.

coupe
04-25-2008, 12:10 PM
ok well i gues i might justr stick w/ the 302 block and go 331 becouse i have heard something about the pistons on the 347 are too thin and something about not having good life and the rings are bad to go out or sumthing like that

The old (c. 1990-1995) 347 kits used to have issues. The biggest culprit was using a stock low-tension ring package...resulting in some oil blowby. This is due to the different geometry of a 347 stroke putting a little more side-load on the piston. The only thing you will see on a 347 (and even a 331) is a little more scuffing of the piston skirts when you rebuild or disassemble it...again, due to the side-loading.

I say if you're gonna do it, go with the 347. The oil-ring runs through the piston pin on both, so go with a little more stroke. They make sick power and torque. Just make sure to get a nice set of rings.