PDA

View Full Version : Scorpion Roller Rocker

donfordman30
05-05-2008, 06:45 PM
Has anyone ran a set of Scorpion 1.6 Pedestal Roller Rockers? My rockers are really loud and I was wondering if anyone else has this going on. I'm use to running Cranes and can hardly hear them but these are horribly loud. Whats the opinions guys??????:banghead:

EHardy1971
05-05-2008, 07:12 PM
I know we put some stud mount scorpions on Bandits car when he did the cam/head swap,and they are pretty quiet.You mounted them with the trunions flat side up,right?

donfordman30
05-05-2008, 07:41 PM
yes to that

EHardy1971
05-05-2008, 09:25 PM
Exactly how loud is the noise?,and were you running 1.7's before?

donfordman30
05-06-2008, 04:46 AM
I was running 1.7 before and went to 1.6. With the crane 1.7 they fit under the stock valve covers. With these 1.6 Scorpions I had to go with after market chrome. I'm wondering if they are hitting on the valve covers. It's prety loud. Thats all you hear under the hood and about mid way of the car. I have never heard a valve train quite this loud. I don't like it.

Italian LX
05-06-2008, 06:37 AM
I'm wondering if they are hitting on the valve covers. It's prety loud.
If this is the case, just give it a few miles and it will quiet down. :D

mustangsteve
05-06-2008, 07:42 AM
I have these on mine with aftermarket covers but I also use Felpro Valve Cover Gaskets part FPP-1645. They are 0.313 in thickness which is like two put together and help raise the covers. I also do have a 1" spacer between the upper and lower intake but the covers should clear even with a stock intake with no spacer.

TheJeanyus
05-06-2008, 12:20 PM
If this is the case, just give it a few miles and it will quiet down. :D
:doh:

Italian LX
05-06-2008, 12:54 PM
:doh:
Mine did. :D

EHardy1971
05-06-2008, 12:57 PM
Mine did. :D
Self clearancing rockers?:jester:

donfordman30
05-06-2008, 03:54 PM
Well I quess the upper needs to come off and check the inside of the valve cover for the rubbing to eliminate that or come up with the problem. I will check the rockers also for scaring and see what I come up with. The sound is killing me. The power is there, but with the valve train sounding like that I'm looking for something to be coming thru the hood every time I stomp it. Update soon. Just waiting to see if it quites by rubbing a hole in the covers or getting metal in my oil isn't a good solution in my book. I just live in Alabama not born here.

Italian LX
05-06-2008, 04:09 PM
Well I quess the upper needs to come off and check the inside of the valve cover for the rubbing to eliminate that or come up with the problem. I will check the rockers also for scaring and see what I come up with. The sound is killing me. The power is there, but with the valve train sounding like that I'm looking for something to be coming thru the hood every time I stomp it. Update soon. Just waiting to see if it quites by rubbing a hole in the covers or getting metal in my oil isn't a good solution in my book. I just live in Alabama not born here.
Hey, there's nothing wrong with being born in Alabama. As a matter of fact, you don't have a whole lot of room for making fun of anyone with that terrible grammar of yours. :poke:

As far as the "self-clearancing rockers," that was pretty much a joke; however, I did have a loud set quiet down after a test drive -- not sure if it was a slight clearance issue or just stuck lifters that need to be broke loose, but it worked.

I agree with pulling the valve covers and seeing if there is any evidence of them rubbing, but here's another thought. . . I've never used the chrome valve covers, but I wonder if it's possible that they may amplify the valve train noise more. Since aluminum is a lot softer (and thicker) then the steel covers, maybe you're just inherently going to hear more of the sound coming through. :shrug:

donfordman30
05-06-2008, 04:25 PM
No harm meant on the Alabama joke. Spell checker is for the weak. Grammar is for the educated. O.K. so I lucked up and got the valve cover off with out taking the upper off(sweet), but no evidence of rubbing. I did notice that there is some play in my push rods up and down? So now I wonder if I was suppose to change my pushrods with the head change? AFR 165? ANYONE?

Italian LX
05-06-2008, 08:03 PM
So now I wonder if I was suppose to change my pushrods with the head change? AFR 165? ANYONE?
I would imagine the stock length pushrods should do fine, but I've never had experience with pedestal-mount AFR's. Lee used stock pushrods on his, but his were stud-mount.

QWKSNKE
05-06-2008, 08:18 PM
I would imagine the stock length pushrods should do fine, but I've never had experience with pedestal-mount AFR's. Lee used stock pushrods on his, but his were stud-mount.

yeah I used stock length pushrods on mine but they were hardened rods. I assume you did the same.

Double check your adjustments and/or shimming. I don't remember which cam you are running but it maybe that it has really fast ramp speeds and that seems to make valvetrain a little noisier or at least it did in my car

donfordman30
05-16-2008, 10:31 AM
Well found oput the problem. Pushrods are too short. Factory is 6.243 and I had to go with 6.300. only .60 but that is a huge difference. Got the new ones last night and going to install tonight.

coupe
05-16-2008, 11:02 AM
:nice: always check locaton of the roller tip on the valve stem. A little difference makes alot of racket.

banditmwp
05-16-2008, 05:01 PM
I know we put some stud mount scorpions on Bandits car when he did the cam/head swap,and they are pretty quiet.You mounted them with the trunions flat side up,right?

not scorpions. :nono:

EHardy1971
05-16-2008, 07:21 PM
not scorpions. :nono:
:doh: My mistake!