PDA

View Full Version : Ignition module problem?

darkside
05-05-2008, 09:13 PM
Well, i bumped the timing down a little on my 5.0, and it just died.. no matter where i put it, it runs like complete crap.

My buddy seems to think that the ignition module could be bad or something, which is making the computer compensate or something, which is making the car run like it does..

Heres how it ran- NO power above 2,500 rpm and pops-cracks at 2,500 rpm. and seemed to start over heating when idling.. i know that the timing being too high can cause over heating, but what do u guys think?

militarymustang88gt
05-05-2008, 09:21 PM
where have you been setting your timing at?

advancing your timing would kill it and so would retarding it. but usually retarding it will make it idle better. you know if you move the module to the left it advances and right retards it. now your over heating problem you need to check your fan clutch if it is still a manual and if not check to see if your electric fan comes on like 5-10 degrees before your thermostat is supposed to open so that by the time your thermostat opens the coolant is already cool.

militarymustang88gt
05-05-2008, 09:25 PM
oh and not having a good ground for your motor will cause poping and no power also.

EHardy1971
05-05-2008, 09:27 PM
Sounds like the distributor might be a tooth off to me,because just bumping the timing usually does'nt cause a TFI module issue!

militarymustang88gt
05-05-2008, 09:34 PM
Sounds like the distributor might be a tooth off to me,because just bumping the timing usually does'nt cause a TFI module issue!

he would still be able to rotate it around to get it in tune. it would only just go so far.

EHardy1971
05-05-2008, 09:49 PM
he would still be able to rotate it around to get it in tune. it would only just go so far.
That's not always the case though,1 tooth off will make more difference than you realize.Especially with EFI having the PIP/hall effect setup,trust me,BTDT!:D

darkside
05-05-2008, 10:23 PM
So where should i start on resolving this?

The timing is supposed to be at 14 advance said my mechanic..

EHardy1971
05-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Get it up to #1 TDC,pull the dist cap,the rotor should be pointing close to the 12 o'clock position as you stand in front of the car.

mustangsteve
05-06-2008, 04:16 AM
First check the GROUND making sure that has good surface contact. Then make sure the distributor is not a tooth off. If you have someone who has a distributor that you know is working try useing it on a test run to check and see if the Distributor you are useing may be BAD. I had bought a New MSD Distributor that was bad rite out of the box and was making my car act just as you describe and when putting the stock one in the car ran great. Also check the Cap making sure there are no cracks in it. If the ignition module is going bad my car was shutting down when it got hot and you would have let the car cool down and it then soemtimes would restart and sometimes it would not start for awhile, and when I bought a new one problem solved ( there is one for sale for like 10.00 I remember it rite in the Thiffty Nickle). Not sure if it is new or not it did no say.

darkside
05-06-2008, 12:59 PM
What do you mean a " tooth off" ? do i need to pull the distributor out of the car?

Is that like, a tooth on the gear broke off?

TheJeanyus
05-06-2008, 01:21 PM
What do you mean a " tooth off" ? do i need to pull the distributor out of the car?

Is that like, a tooth on the gear broke off?
No, it means the distributor is rotated 1 "tooth" in either direction from where it needs to be.

darkside
05-06-2008, 08:48 PM
ah. ok.