PDA

View Full Version : Street/AutoX tire suggestions

SkurdalenFox
06-01-2008, 12:46 PM
I need some new tires.

Car is a 92 sedan, H/C/I 302. Cobra 13" front brakes, 98 GT rear; ABS. I'm running 8x17inch wheels. Current tires are BFGoodrich g-FORCE KDWS in 245x45-17. I'd like to stay at that size, or not much bigger. Also, I'd like something with better grip than the BFGs.

The car is never driven in the snow, and rarely in the rain. But, it is often driven on the street. I mostly AutoX and drive on concrete.

I need something that'll hook well "off the line" as they say, and obviously I need something that'll turn and stop well.

Suggestions?

SkurdalenFox
06-07-2008, 07:07 PM
Can anyone comment on the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires?

QWKSNKE
06-09-2008, 07:16 PM
Michelin makes a good tire but they are pricey. Sendero and Craig K. would probably know best.

Sendero is on his honeymoon all week but maybe he will chime in when he gets back

SkurdalenFox
06-10-2008, 03:56 PM
Michelin makes a good tire but they are pricey. Sendero and Craig K. would probably know best.

Sendero is on his honeymoon all week but maybe he will chime in when he gets back

I know most of y'all are into drag racing, so I wasn't expecting much. :)

Anyhow, after talking to some people, I think I'm going to go with dedicated street tires, and dedicated AutoX tires.

TheJeanyus
06-10-2008, 04:29 PM
I know most of y'all are into drag racing, so I wasn't expecting much. :)

Anyhow, after talking to some people, I think I'm going to go with dedicated street tires, and dedicated AutoX tires.
That's probably what Sendero would have recommended, too. :yup:

I like that approach. That way you don't have to worry about destroying your street tires and having to find a way to work the next day if something goes wrong.

Sendero
06-13-2008, 03:04 PM
That's probably what Sendero would have recommended, too. :yup:

Yes, definately two sets of tires.

What class are you going to run it in? This will determine what wheel/tire combo you'll need.

99LS1
06-13-2008, 03:36 PM
Nathan wanted me to tell you to invest in Kumho 712s. Never greasy and awesome grip :D

SkurdalenFox
06-13-2008, 04:33 PM
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k30/skurdalen/100_0081-1.jpg

prep'd...

SkurdalenFox
06-13-2008, 04:59 PM
Nathan wanted me to tell you to invest in Kumho 712s. Never greasy and awesome grip :D

When do they fall apart?:jester:

Craig K.
06-15-2008, 05:13 PM
Depending on class rules, you can always look into buying a set of "used" tires from a pro driver source.

I was buying Hoosier DOT full race tires for $75 when new were $225, they only had one weekend on them and would last usually another 4-5 weekends, this was full w2w track racing.

Try Appalachian Tire, they never did me wrong had great prices and shipped out quickly

http://usedracetire.com/

Sendero
06-16-2008, 01:39 PM
prep'd...

The you definately want Kumho ECSTA V710's (link) (http://www.kumhousa.com/tires/passenger/competition/EV710.do). They make them in all sizes and offer AWESOME grip as long as you treat them right. Buy them from Tirerack.com and pay a little extra to have them heat cycled and they will last longer.

SkurdalenFox
06-16-2008, 07:28 PM
The you definately want Kumho ECSTA V710's (link) (http://www.kumhousa.com/tires/passenger/competition/EV710.do). They make them in all sizes and offer AWESOME grip as long as you treat them right. Buy them from Tirerack.com and pay a little extra to have them heat cycled and they will last longer.

I had been considering those. I looked over a C-C and there are several threads detailing structural integrity issues with these tires. Those threads are all several years old though. They're okay now?

Sendero
06-16-2008, 09:28 PM
I had been considering those. I looked over a C-C and there are several threads detailing structural integrity issues with these tires. Those threads are all several years old though. They're okay now?

Yes. Kumho recalled all those tires and replaced them with an upgraded model. Jennifer runs V710's on her Miata and they stick like glue!