PDA

View Full Version : Spool ?'s

banditmwp
06-01-2008, 07:20 PM
I am wondering about existing opinions on Spools and standard Posi units. If I upgrade to 31 spline, what are the pros and cons of going with a spool or mini-spool?

The car will see mostly street duty with occasional track time, that's why I'm considering just a standard locking carrier, but I can get Auburn mini-spools at a hell of a price...

fire away, gentlemen, and thank you.

89five0Gt
06-01-2008, 07:28 PM
If its mostly street driven I'd stay away from mini spools. thats JMO

86GTPONY
06-01-2008, 07:30 PM
If your car is gonna see mostly street duty, don't do a spool....unless you like the sound of tires barking every time you take a turn. You will draw the attention of the local badges!! Spools are great for quarter mile because of their strength, but don't allow the rear wheels to turn at a different rate when you turn the car.

Italian LX
06-01-2008, 07:56 PM
As I duscussed on the phone with you, I recommend finding a Ford 31-spline trac-lock unit on e-bay, pull-a-part, etc. They can be found very cheap and are great for what you want. Don't worry about the condition of the clutch packs; you can buy the rebuild kit for somewhere around $40 and I'll assist you in replacing them -- it's not too hard if you know what you're doing.

SlowJoe
06-01-2008, 08:05 PM
As I duscussed on the phone with you, I recommend finding a Ford 31-spline trac-lock unit on e-bay, pull-a-part, etc. They can be found very cheap and are great for what you want. Don't worry about the condition of the clutch packs; you can buy the rebuild kit for somewhere around $40 and I'll assist you in replacing them -- it's not too hard if you know what you're doing.

x2 i just done my 31 spline with the ford track lock. done axles and locker for under 300.

TheJeanyus
06-01-2008, 08:12 PM
I would stay away from a spool as I know you like to toss it around curves as well as drag race. A spool would not be fun on the Dragon I wouldn't think.

EHardy1971
06-01-2008, 08:44 PM
I would stay away from a spool as I know you like to toss it around curves as well as drag race. A spool would not be fun on the Dragon I wouldn't think.
They're not very fun on wet roads either!:dragon:

banditmwp
06-01-2008, 09:28 PM
Yeah, I think I figured out why they're so cheap...

Italian LX
06-01-2008, 09:52 PM
Oh, another thing you are forgetting is that you need to have C-clip eliminators to run a spool.

96GTS
06-02-2008, 10:20 PM
They dont chirp tires bad. Only time I EVER heard mine was in a fresh paved parking lot. Other than that, couldnt tell it was there. Turning radius for u turns sucks tho. But I'd blip the throttle to bring the ass around if nobody else was at the intersection. Rain isnt that bad if you remember that you have a spool back there and dont be stupid. I DD mine for years w/ a spool and 4.56s. Loved it.:metal: Just know its there and respect it...