PDA

View Full Version : "Popping" noise when turning to the left?

TheJeanyus
06-16-2008, 03:07 PM
Well, it seems like every time I drive my car it starts making a new noise. :doh:

I took it for a ride yesterday, and every time I made a left turn (90 degrees or more, as in turning at intersections or into parking lots, etc) a loud popping noise came from the front of the car. It would pop every few seconds until I straightened the wheel. Any ideas?

Add this one to the noise coming from the front brakes, the noise that sounds an awful lot like ANOTHER bad belt tensioner, and the noise coming from the windshield wiper motor I still haven't replaced. :shake:

Sendero
06-16-2008, 03:21 PM
Did we do coil-overs on your car?

TheJeanyus
06-16-2008, 03:42 PM
Did we do coil-overs on your car?
Nope, it has H&R race springs on it. They've been on there for a good long while now with no ill effects, though.

rtusnake
06-16-2008, 03:43 PM
Don't make left turns, use the brakes or drive in the rain and you will be fine. :jester:Maybe I could check it out one day for you.

Italian LX
06-16-2008, 03:46 PM
Can you duplicate the popping at a slow speed? If so, have someone walk beside the car while you turn in circles to see if they can hear the sound and pin-point specifically where it is coming from. :shrug:

Italian LX
06-16-2008, 03:47 PM
Don't make left turns, use the brakes or drive in the rain and you will be fine. :jester:
:lol:

TheJeanyus
06-16-2008, 03:50 PM
Can you duplicate the popping at a slow speed? If so, have someone walk beside the car while you turn in circles to see if they can hear the sound and pin-point specifically where it is coming from. :shrug:
I've only noticed it when going slow and turning the wheel pretty far...like I said above, when turning into parking lots or turning at an intersection. Going around curves I have never noticed it. I've never noticed it turning right either. :think:

TheJeanyus
06-16-2008, 03:50 PM
Don't make left turns, use the brakes or drive in the rain and you will be fine. :jester:Maybe I could check it out one day for you.
:rofl: I need to go watch Tokyo Drift and take some notes. :jester:

Italian LX
06-16-2008, 04:00 PM
Add this one to the noise coming from the front brakes...
What kind of noise is coming from the front brakes?

TheJeanyus
06-16-2008, 04:35 PM
What kind of noise is coming from the front brakes?
It sounds like the pad is "chattering" on the rotor when no pressure is applied to the brake pedal. When pressure is applied, the noise goes away.

86GTPONY
06-16-2008, 04:52 PM
Plastic fenderwell come loose???:shrug:

04 Mach1
06-16-2008, 05:18 PM
Wheel weight???

Italian LX
06-16-2008, 05:42 PM
Sounds like you may have lost your pad retaining pin. That would likely cause the chattering while not braking and the popping could be caused by the caliper lifting off the rotor and bumping any stick-on wheel weights you may have.

If this is what's happening, you need to fix it quick before you cut your wheel in half. :huh:

TheJeanyus
06-16-2008, 06:16 PM
Sounds like you may have lost your pad retaining pin. That would likely cause the chattering while not braking and the popping could be caused by the caliper lifting off the rotor and bumping any stick-on wheel weights you may have.

If this is what's happening, you need to fix it quick before you cut your wheel in half. :huh:
I'll go down into the garage and take a look at it. :huh:

militarymustang88gt
06-16-2008, 06:19 PM
tie rod, ball joint or wheel bearing.

TheJeanyus
06-16-2008, 08:05 PM

Damn it, why do you always have to be right?

The clip off the retaining pin is missing, and the pin is sticking out about 1/4". I can't see where the caliper has been hitting anything, but it does seem possible.

So, I wonder if it screwed up the hole through the caliper....:hmm:

Italian LX
06-16-2008, 08:16 PM
The clip off the retaining pin is missing, and the pin is sticking out about 1/4". I can't see where the caliper has been hitting anything, but it does seem possible.
If your pin is only sticking out 1/4" then chances are, the caliper wouldn't be able to lift off all the way yet -- the pin needs to be all the way out for that to happen. It may be able to rock side-to-side a bit, but likely not enough to reach the insides of an 18" wheel.

If the pin was inserted from the outside, then it could be hitting the wheel spokes (which is probably why it hasn't come out all the way yet).

Italian LX
06-16-2008, 08:21 PM
So, I wonder if it screwed up the hole through the caliper....:hmm:
Probably not. The way those PBR calipers work is that the bracket makes up half of the "hole" while the barke pad makes up the other half -- the caliper is not supported by anything but the pads themselves and does not even touch the retaining pin. Even if it did screw anything up, the worst you would have to do is replace the pads and the bracket... but that bracket is pretty heavy-duty, so I don't see it getting damages very quicly.

TheJeanyus
06-16-2008, 08:30 PM
The pin is inserted from the outside. I didn't look at the inside of the wheel spokes.

coupe
06-16-2008, 09:17 PM
Good catch ItalianLX! As for the "popping noise"...I will concur with militarymustang88...ball joint.

banditmwp
06-16-2008, 09:23 PM
Good catch ItalianLX! As for the "popping noise"...I will concur with militarymustang88...ball joint.

I disagree. I think it's more of a sway bar issue...either end links or mount bushing.

EHardy1971
06-16-2008, 10:44 PM
They ALWAYS start making new noises once you pay them off!:jester:

But just throwing my .02 in here about the popping,it might also be a loose spindle nut,or wheel bearing going out.Does it make any humming sound going down the road?:shrug:

militarymustang88gt
06-16-2008, 11:33 PM
like i said ball joint is pops. tierod has like a moan then pop and wheelbearing is like a grinding pop.

TheJeanyus
06-17-2008, 06:53 AM
I don't recall any humming, moaning, or grinding going down the road?

....usually reserve that for the bed room. :dirty:

Seriously though, I don't recall any of those noises. Only the popping when turning.

SlowJoe
06-17-2008, 06:59 AM
mine does it out of the right front when backing up with the wheel turned to the left.Does your tire look good?

rtusnake
06-17-2008, 05:12 PM
Did you get another alignment when you put the new wheels on?

TheJeanyus
06-17-2008, 05:41 PM
No, it does need to be aligned.

EHardy1971
06-17-2008, 05:59 PM
I don't recall any humming, moaning, or grinding going down the road?

....usually reserve that for the bed room. :dirty:
:spit:

PonyChick
06-17-2008, 06:56 PM
They ALWAYS start making new noises once you pay them off!:jester:

Or when they run out of warranty! :bs: