PDA

View Full Version : Erratic sputter/misfire through all gears...

DSkeet
06-24-2008, 06:43 PM
On my 5.0 fox when under normal accel I get an erratic sputter through all the gears and when in 5th cruising at 65-75 etc. It seems to go away as I press the gas harder and open it up more. Any ideas? I have checked plugs, changed the distributor(thanks for the dist matt), checked firing order on the wires etc. Could it be in vaccum somewhere? Could my fuel filter be clogged? Any help is greatly appreciated. I just need to know where to look...
Thanks
Dave

Italian LX
06-24-2008, 06:48 PM
What MAF are you running?

coupe
06-24-2008, 07:04 PM
Coil, cap/rotor, plugs. Sounds like it's in that department.

EHardy1971
06-24-2008, 07:19 PM
My money is on the TFI module.

militarymustang88gt
06-24-2008, 07:47 PM
i say the vacume came off the FPR or there isnt a good ground for the motor.

banditmwp
06-24-2008, 08:50 PM
Is the distributor tightened down all the way? Also, I know that distributor had a stripped screw at the cap adaptor, but I didn't have any problems like that when I was running it.

DSkeet
06-25-2008, 06:02 AM
Is the distributor tightened down all the way? Also, I know that distributor had a stripped screw at the cap adaptor, but I didn't have any problems like that when I was running it.

Yeah it's tightened down all the way. Hopefully I will have time this weekend to look at it more. It just gets old and I know my gas mileage probably sucks because of it. I'm gonna put some diff plugs in and then check into some of the things you guys mentioned...Brian, not sure what MAF it has but I guess I could check that as well...Thanks guys, I will post back and let ya'll know what happens...
Dave

04 Mach1
06-25-2008, 07:19 PM
what's the timing set at?

DSkeet
06-26-2008, 08:01 AM
what's the timing set at?

You're gonna have to ask Scott on that one buddy...Wish I knew! How are you doing? I hear you had quite a rockcrawling adventure on dump...

Craig K.
06-26-2008, 08:03 PM
I am assuming no codes or check engine lights?
Can you do a Key On Engine Off test?

I had a similiar condition when one of my O2's went out, but I did get a code and a CEL

tayzoid1
06-27-2008, 01:26 AM
it happened to mine when i burned through a plug wire:doh:

tayzoid1
06-27-2008, 01:26 AM
and when my module in the dist. went bad

DSkeet
06-27-2008, 08:15 AM
I am assuming no codes or check engine lights?
Can you do a Key On Engine Off test?

I had a similiar condition when one of my O2's went out, but I did get a code and a CEL

Check engine light is on after my xpipe and exhaust install. The misfire was going on before that though...

QWKSNKE
06-27-2008, 02:49 PM
Check engine light is on after my xpipe and exhaust install. The misfire was going on before that though...

Your CEL should not come on due to exhaust mods. Check and see what code it is

EHardy1971
06-27-2008, 03:17 PM
Your CEL should not come on due to exhaust mods. Check and see what code it is
Unless somebody forgot to plug the O2 sensors back up.:shrug:

DSkeet
07-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Update: I went ahead and replaced the TFI module myself since I knew it could be the problem and that it needed replacing anyway. When I replaced it, the car would turn over but no spark... Bad new module...Tried old one and it cranked right up. Mark Knight swapped it out for me and it worked. However it didn't fix the sputter. I decided to take it to my friend Sean and let him tinker with it. He ran his scan tool on the car and found that the driver side o2 is more than likely unplugged(haven't looked yet). The sputter was to blame on the #4 plug being closed all the way. Runs smoother than it ever has now! It's never ran this good I am so relieved...On top of that he didn't charge me a penny! I told him I would pay for his beer one night when we go out or something.l..Anyway project ice ice baby is rollin smooth, a/c is cold, water pump is on, no problems whatsoever!

coupe
07-09-2008, 10:01 PM
:nice: Didn't sound like a major problem. Thanks for the update!