PDA

View Full Version : EFI swap to carb?

darkside
07-06-2008, 04:34 PM
I'm looking at this near pristine 90 LX, its a 4 banger though. Man only wants 1,000 for it.

So im thinking of picking it up, and doing a 302 swap.

But i dont want to fool with computers and all that crap, so it looks like going Carb is my best bet.

Questions- to do this, what all would be needed? i know it will drop right in just like a 5.0, but my questions are mostly electrical. like, would i need to get all after market gauges or could i make my stock cluster work? All i would want to work is the speedometer and gas hand, the rest will be auto-meters.

now what about the ignition? what coil,distributor, etc should be used? the car will see mostly dragstrip, but alot of street use as well, mostly cruise nights.

RedSuperRanger23
07-06-2008, 06:13 PM
I could hook you up with a brand new MAF computer (with MAF sensor) and a complete wiring harness for about the cost of a nice 4 barrel. All this stuff was bought new from either Summit and/or the Ford dealership that I worked at. Also comes with all the extra sensors needed for it to run as well as a book to walk you step by step through hooking it all up. Let me know if you are interested.

darkside
07-06-2008, 07:15 PM
as much as i like the Daily driver reliability of EFI, this car won't see any DD duties. Just drove to and from the track, maybe around town on the weekends.. so i think a nice carburetor setup would not only make more power, but be cheaper in the end than buying injectors etc etc

EHardy1971
07-06-2008, 07:41 PM
Seriously,go EFI,you won't regret it! Besides,a lot of us here have plenty of the parts you would need,and on the cheap!

tayzoid1
07-06-2008, 07:44 PM
the speedo runs off the tranny so i dont think you would run into problems using the carb

banditmwp
07-06-2008, 07:52 PM
Seriously,go EFI,you won't regret it! Besides,a lot of us here have plenty of the parts you would need,and on the cheap!
:stupid:
the speedo runs off the tranny so i dont think you would run into problems using the carb
:werd:

QWKSNKE
07-06-2008, 08:24 PM
Things that come to my mind.

You will need to change out the in tank fuel pump and if you are going to a mechanical f/pump, you will need a pre-87 timing cover

EHardy1971
07-06-2008, 08:28 PM
Things that come to my mind.

You will need to change out the in tank fuel pump and if you are going to a mechanical f/pump, you will need a pre-87 timing cover
And a different distributor,and the duraspark or MSD equivalent,etc.IOW,it's going to be a bit of work either way you go.

Italian LX
07-07-2008, 06:51 AM
...so i think a nice carburetor setup would not only make more power, but be cheaper in the end than buying injectors etc etc
I wouldn't count on the "carburetor setup makes more power" statement. ;)

. . . and it also won't be much more expensive to go EFI either. There is a common misconception that, when swpping a 4-cylinder fox, it's a lot cheapper to go carb.

1Quik85GT
07-07-2008, 05:30 PM
carb cars make more power, and EFI's make more torque, but the new thing that us class racers are working on more now is gettin more torque!!! HP just doesnt win races, but thats gettin into another topic, sorry I got off topic

EHardy1971
07-07-2008, 07:29 PM
carb cars make more power, and EFI's make more torque
:saywha: You better go get the flamesuit on,'cause it's coming!

http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/Upload/Flame/Flame-Flame_on.jpg (http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/Upload/Flame/Flame-Flame_on.jpg)

coupe
07-08-2008, 02:47 PM
carb cars make more power, and EFI's make more torque, but the new thing that us class racers are working on more now is gettin more torque!!! HP just doesnt win races, but thats gettin into another topic, sorry I got off topic

Hmm. Would make for an interesting discussion in a new thread!
http://www.spokentorque.com/forums/images/smilies/xjp.gif

ujslost
07-20-2008, 11:40 AM
I just done this swap in 9 days. Gimme a holla if you need any help.
Swapped a 5.0 with t5 into a 90 lx 4cyl auto.

all the electronics there will work. You need a fuel pump. and a 85 dist (dist gears depends on engine) and a duraspark module.