PDA

View Full Version : Water filtration?

TheJeanyus
07-15-2008, 07:38 PM
It seems our water at the new house has a lot of minerals in it or something because it leaves a film behind when we wash our cars. Any idea if there is some kind of filter we can use to avoid this?

89 Hoss
07-15-2008, 09:11 PM
Yes, there is a Mr. Clean or something like that you can get from walmart that comes with a filter and soap, it is supposed to soften the water. Works pretty well, I believe Lee uses it.

banditmwp
07-15-2008, 09:22 PM
You may check at lowe's or home depot for an inline filter setup with a replaceable element that you can put on the spigot. :shrug:

Sendero
07-15-2008, 09:38 PM
Jose; city or well water?

TheJeanyus
07-16-2008, 05:38 AM
Jose; city or well water?
City.

I'll check into the suggestions given so far. Thanks. :chug:

coupe
07-16-2008, 09:43 AM
You could request one of those water test companies (search?) to come out and test your water...they try to sell you a bunch of stuff you can turn down, but you will know what minerals/deposits are in the water...and they sometimes have really good filter systems anyways.
I think Culligan does it...but not 100%

95cobra
07-19-2008, 01:25 PM
mr clean works real well

TheJeanyus
08-02-2008, 08:05 AM
Just finishing washing the Scion with Meredith, and using the Mr. Clean Auto Dry for a final rinse seems to have fixed the problem. :nice: It sucks that the filters cost so much, but it's better than not being able to get our cars clean.

89 Hoss
08-02-2008, 09:09 AM
Just finishing washing the Scion with Meredith, and using the Mr. Clean Auto Dry for a final rinse seems to have fixed the problem. :nice: It sucks that the filters cost so much, but it's better than not being able to get our cars clean.

I have been debating on buying it for the black car due to the same problem, gets old polishing this thing everytime you wash it cause of the water. Glad to know it worked well so I need to try it myself.

95cobra
08-02-2008, 09:18 AM
good deal.

qkjuicedpony
08-02-2008, 07:25 PM
wash your car IN the garage and dry it off...works for me:D

But i do have a drain in my floor:D

TheJeanyus
08-02-2008, 07:44 PM
wash your car IN the garage and dry it off...works for me:D

But i do have a drain in my floor:D
My garage is so full of sheet rock dust, that probably wouldn't work. :D

qkjuicedpony
08-02-2008, 08:53 PM
My garage is so full of sheet rock dust
:meth: :meth: :meth:

TheJeanyus
08-02-2008, 08:55 PM
:meth: :meth: :meth:
:hiding:

LeeH
08-03-2008, 12:34 PM
It seems our water at the new house has a lot of minerals in it or something because it leaves a film behind when we wash our cars. Any idea if there is some kind of filter we can use to avoid this?

Out here we have some of the hardest water in the country and there are only a few ways to cure it for good, Remember that you are drinking that water and the minerals can hurt you over an extended period of time.
1. Reverse Osmosis:
Good - It strips everything from the water.
Bad - It strips everything from the water, This makes it safe to drink but all of the good minerals as well as the bad are removed. The water will leach chemicals and minerals from any metallic line it passes through after being treated so not only will it eat up your copper lines it can also over time make you sick if you dont use the correct lines for the treated water.

2. Water softeners:
a. Salt:
Good - It is very affective at knocking out large minerals and when used in conjunction with an R.O. unit extends the membrane life and wastes less water.
Bad - Over time the salt can cause health issues and destroy water lines in your home.

b. Potassium Chloride:
Good - Performs as well as salt when knocking out large particles but the increased levels of potassium in the treated water add health benefits.
Bad - There is a very small amount of salt in the water after treatment but it is much lower than the EPA requirments for tap water.

TheJeanyus
08-03-2008, 05:32 PM
We filter our drinking water. :yup: