PDA

View Full Version : Project 12.99

Skillet
07-17-2008, 08:02 PM
I said I wasn't going to do this because these things never work out for me. I've already paid for the track day so I might as well give this a shot.

The goal: run 12.99 in my 4000+ car NA by the track day. This car has been down the track once on a semi bum transmission. 13.8@101. It dynoed 327. The transmission has been built and the only other change that has been made is a ODBI swap. The car is currently making 351rwhp 350rwtq.

The parts: subject to change
1. Fuel pump, my current one is dead. :baby:
2. adjustable upper control arms
3. new cam and springs
4. electric water pump
5. Mickey Thompson 275/40/17 ET Street radials
6. Weight reduction: passenger seat, back seats

With all that I should be in the 12s even if we have a warm day. I may have the converter re stalled depending on how much money I make between now and then. I may also go with some slicks if I can get another 2 wheels for them.

7/24

Fuel pump is in.
New lighter drive shaft is in.
Lower control arms should be here Monday.
Currently have a lead on 2 Impala wheels with drag radials.

7/31
Purchased used Mickey Thompson ET Radials 275/40/17

8/2 13.6@103

8/5 Adjustable upper controls have arrived.

8/16 Cam, springs, and electric water pump intalled. Car needs valve guides and probably a couple of valves. Heads coming off this weekend. 2-3 week downtime. Possibly having them milled for more compression.

Italian LX
07-17-2008, 08:10 PM
Sounds like a good goal to work towards, Trey. :nice:

banditmwp
07-17-2008, 11:03 PM
good luck with it.

hevymtl
07-18-2008, 03:35 AM
:nice: You can doit!!!:popcorn:

coupe
07-18-2008, 07:46 AM
1) I had no idea the car made the power it does already... it's strong.

2) The right cam should get you where you want to be!

3) I would spend money somewhere other than an electric water pump.

Skillet
07-18-2008, 08:24 AM
1) I had no idea the car made the power it does already... it's strong.

2) The right cam should get you where you want to be!

3) I would spend money somewhere other than an electric water pump.

It's a cam driven water pump so while the cam is being swapped might as well put the pump on there too. It's not much more than $100 plus they don't have near the leaking problems as a stock water pump. I haven't picked out a cam yet but it will be something with more low end and mid range. I would like to get in the 380/400 range.

Skillet
07-24-2008, 12:45 PM
Update:

Fuel pump is in.
New lighter drive shaft is in.
Lower control arms should be here Monday.
Currently have a lead on 2 Impala wheels with drag radials.

I needed a longer drive shaft since I have extended lower control arms and the rear end is further back than stock. I need the adjust upper control arms to get my pinion angle back where it needs to be.

coupe
07-24-2008, 03:36 PM
...I needed a longer drive shaft since I have extended lower control arms and the rear end is further back than stock.

That will certainly look better! Those damn cars had a rather bad forward-offset rear wheel anyway. Always thought it looked wrong.
http://christinabiggs.com/Pictures/Cars/96Impala/Car2.jpg

Skillet
07-24-2008, 03:54 PM
I have no idea why GM couldn't center it to start with. Factory they all look like they have been rear ended. The best is seeing guys who just spent $5K on big wheels and tires and couldn't spend $500 on upper and lower control arms to center the wheels.

militarymustang88gt
07-24-2008, 04:29 PM
put the nawz on it.

Skillet
07-31-2008, 04:06 PM
I thought about nitrous but I really don't want to deal with it. Plus I would keep telling myself since I have all forged internals that a 225 shot would be perfect. I bought a used pair of Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials. 275/40/17. They still have plenty of tread left. I won't have an extra set of wheels so I will wait until September to put these on.

gtcpa
07-31-2008, 04:33 PM
Skillet,
Those tires should help you tremendously.
I always thought those cars were sweet - I would love to have one - perfect gangsta vehicle.
Those also look much better than the newer model SS Impala's do in my opinion.

Skillet
07-31-2008, 04:50 PM
Skillet,
Those tires should help you tremendously.
I always thought those cars were sweet - I would love to have one - perfect gangsta vehicle.
Those also look much better than the newer model SS Impala's do in my opinion.

And they aren't FWD! Here is a shot of the car these tires came off of. He bought a almost new set from someone who wrecked their call while driving on them in the rain. We call this guy Cousin Ed. The only suspension done to this car is sub frame connectors. I think this was a mid 1.6 60. If I could get my Impala in the 1.6s I would be ecstatic. I've got a 2800 stall, he has a 3800. I'll have more torque and more weight transfer.

gtcpa
07-31-2008, 05:08 PM
Those look like some sticky tires !
If I had an extra pair of wheels, and if M/T made tires in my car's size - I would also go that route because they are stickier tires.

TheJeanyus
07-31-2008, 06:12 PM
If I could get my Impala in the 1.6s I would be ecstatic.
That would take some doing, but man would it be badass. :metal:

QWKSNKE
07-31-2008, 09:00 PM
And they aren't FWD! Here is a shot of the car these tires came off of. He bought a almost new set from someone who wrecked their call while driving on them in the rain. We call this guy Cousin Ed. The only suspension done to this car is sub frame connectors. I think this was a mid 1.6 60. If I could get my Impala in the 1.6s I would be ecstatic. I've got a 2800 stall, he has a 3800. I'll have more torque and more weight transfer.

older guy right? I talk to him every time I see him at the track. Hell of a nice guy

Skillet
07-31-2008, 11:02 PM
older guy right? I talk to him every time I see him at the track. Hell of a nice guy

Yeah he is well into his 60s. Bald on the top. Loves to drag race. Probably has over 300 passes on his Camaro.

Skillet
08-02-2008, 12:35 PM
I went to Steele last night. It didn't cool off very much while I was there. I did get a new best though. 13.6@103 2.1 60. 20 minutes in a car oiled the track down and it was useless the rest of the night.

Skillet
08-19-2008, 09:02 PM
Ordered the cam kit with new springs, locks, and retainers as well as the electric water pump and the new timing gear without the part for the factory water pump.

95cobra
08-20-2008, 05:36 PM
what cam you order..

Skillet
08-20-2008, 07:31 PM
Comp Cam XFI Roller 230/236 .576/.571 112LSA 108ICL (intake center line) It has 4 degrees advance in it. I say this because I did not know what it meant and someone else might not either. The peak numbers might not be that higher but the power will be there sooner and the torque should be a lot nicer.

yellowSVT
08-22-2008, 10:58 AM
get her ready its getting close for the throw down i might even have a suprise or two at track day if i can get my funds up!

coupe
08-22-2008, 03:53 PM
I would call that a very healthy cam. It will "hit a lick!"

Skillet
09-16-2008, 08:14 PM
New cam and springs and electric water pump are in. However during the spring install a couple of the valves were loose. The heads need new valve guides and probably a couple of valves. I'll probably try to pull them off this weekend. In the process I will go ahead and see if they can be milled to give me another quarter point or so of compression. Also the MAF has gone bad. Luckily Les has a parts car I can take one from. Car will probably be down another three weeks. :baby:

evrae205
09-16-2008, 08:16 PM
sounds like its coming along nicely trey.

don't suppose you know if less has any ford modular cars out there hed be willing to part out?

Skillet
09-16-2008, 09:19 PM
I haven't seen any mod motor parts cars but I'll double check tomorrow.

coupe
09-18-2008, 07:58 AM
The heads need new valve guides and probably a couple of valves. I'll probably try to pull them off this weekend...Car will probably be down another three weeks. :baby:
Just go to pullapart and get you a set of heads...there's bound to be about 100 pair of "Vortech" heads you can use! :poke: :D

Skillet
06-13-2009, 10:20 PM
So the car runs now for the first since September. Ran into problem after problem after problem with it. Everything from machine work to assembly to wrong parts. Most of it was my own fault. I have plans on dumping the car as soon I know everything is working on it. I sold my drag radials and my upper control arms since I have no real intention of keeping the car longer than I have to. I will be headed to Henson Performance sometime in the next couple of weeks to see if it will break the 400 mark and then if I feel like taking the chance on breaking something I will see if I can borrow some drag radials and see if it will break into the 12s. Not holding my breath on either.

P.S. How long do you think I could drive around with a expired tag. :jester:
Didn't bother to renew since I thought I would have the car running and sold soon than this.

P.P.S. AC compressor is dead and now the weather is hot so it looks like I will be spending more money just to get rid of it. :banghead: