PDA

View Full Version : Nitto Tire 555R2's

Sendero
03-07-2005, 03:03 PM
Who's got them?
Where did you buy them?
How much did they cost?
How do you like them?

I'm thinking about getting them for a Autocross setup/OT setup. I asked around this weekend but no one has run them competitively. I figured they would be good enought to learn on until I want to go futher in the sport.

Italian LX
03-07-2005, 03:06 PM
Both Lee and Shelly are running them on the rear of their Cobras.

I will be replacing my rears with a set once my 555's are wore out.

Sendero
03-07-2005, 03:15 PM

Where are ya'll getting them?

99LS1
03-07-2005, 03:17 PM
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireProductCategoryDetailStyl.do?tpc=HANHZ6&tp=Passenger%2FPerformance

Ppl seem to like this for autox

Italian LX
03-07-2005, 03:17 PM
Where are ya'll getting them?
From Nitto? :shrug:

:D

Italian LX
03-07-2005, 03:20 PM
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireProductCategoryDetailStyl.do?tpc=HANHZ6&tp=Passenger%2FPerformance

Must be a ricer tire.... the widest it comes in is a 245. :rofl:

99LS1
03-07-2005, 03:21 PM
:slap: you don't need a damn 275 when it's an R-rated. Just like you can run an smaller slick vs a bigger drag radial and be fine.

Try Kumho Victoracer, i.e. Ecsta V700 too.

Craig K.
03-07-2005, 03:34 PM
Nathan,

Get real tires made for what your going to do with the car.
https://www.hoosiertire.com/rrtire.htm
Deciede between open or autocros, or get a set for each.

I have a contact in Wisconsin that buys these used from teams, they usually only have practice or qualifing sessions on them, I was paying between $50-$75 each and they would last 3-4 weekends after that (depending on how hard I drove). If you want his contact information PM me.

These tires will make a HUGE difference, and are more purpose built. Just make sure you don't run a Autocross tire on an open track event as you'll over heat them.

QWKSNKE
03-07-2005, 03:38 PM
:slap: you don't need a damn 275 when it's an R-rated. Just like you can run an smaller slick vs a bigger drag radial and be fine.

Try Kumho Victoracer, i.e. Ecsta V700 too.

:slap: you do if you don't want the ass end to slide around. Trust me I have tried some sticky ass 245's and they wouldn't hold shit when powering out of a curve in a 200 horsepower car.

Craig K.
03-07-2005, 03:45 PM
:slap: you do if you don't want the ass end to slide around. Trust me I have tried some sticky ass 245's and they wouldn't hold shit when powering out of a curve in a 200 horsepower car.

I run 245/40/17 Hoosier R3S03 (replaced now by R3S04).

These are essentiall slicks, after about 20 miles (if that) all of the tread is gone. These held on my car pretty well (around 300 rwhp) on long swiping turns, but it could had used 275's on shorter turns.

QWKSNKE
03-07-2005, 03:47 PM
yeah shorter turns was what I was referring to. R3S03 (and 04's) are cool tires

99LS1
03-07-2005, 03:52 PM

were those street tires or actual R race compound tires? It's like comparing a drag radial to a m.t. slick. you don't need the same size slick to get the gripping power of a drag radial, you can get away w/ a much smaller tire. And if you run too much slick you're still hurting yourself bc it's just excess drag.

Italian LX
03-07-2005, 03:54 PM
Get real tires made for what your going to do with the car.
https://www.hoosiertire.com/rrtire.htm
Interesting '77 Mustang from thet site. :hmm:

http://www.hoosiertire.com/PHOTOS/r_ruth.JPG

QWKSNKE
03-07-2005, 04:22 PM
were those street tires or actual R race compound tires? It's like comparing a drag radial to a m.t. slick. you don't need the same size slick to get the gripping power of a drag radial, you can get away w/ a much smaller tire. And if you run too much slick you're still hurting yourself bc it's just excess drag.

Z rated street tires. isn't that what you were referring to?

QWKSNKE
03-07-2005, 04:24 PM
oh and to Nathan's original question We are both running them. 275 is the smallest you can get, I believe. I got them from Discount tire. Allan can get them as well.

Craig K.
03-07-2005, 04:35 PM
Z rated street tires. isn't that what you were referring to?

They are rated "Z", but they are racing compounds. The tire life is usually only a few hundred miles.

Nathan,
I recommend you call one of these guys:
John Burget (in Wisconsi) 262-740-0180
Appalation Tire (in Tennesse) 865-681-6622

They both can put you into a really good used R compound tire for a decent price.

Italian LX
03-07-2005, 06:04 PM
They are rated "Z", but they are racing compounds. The tire life is usually only a few hundred miles.
Look again... the tires Brandon posted have a treadwear rating of 200; I seriously doubt those are "racing compunds" that only last a few hundred miles. :shake:

Craig K.
03-07-2005, 07:25 PM
Look again... the tires Brandon posted have a treadwear rating of 200; I seriously doubt those are "racing compunds" that only last a few hundred miles. :shake:

I didn't look at the ones he posted - sorry.
The Hoosiers that I run are a true race compound and will only last about 200 miles (on the track). THis is why I cannot afford to race anymore.

I have heard that the Kuhmo's (?) that are the spec tire for AI will last a bit longer, however they are not as sticky as the Hoosier or GoodYear compounds.

99LS1
03-07-2005, 07:42 PM

The R means Racing compound. Hoosiers are very soft and do not last long. Hankook and Kumhos aren't as soft, but they do last longer. The pavement where they autox is pretty rough, so I wouldn't run a really soft compound.

Sendero
03-07-2005, 07:48 PM
The R means Racing compound. Hoosiers are very soft and do not last long. Hankook and Kumhos aren't as soft, but they do last longer. The pavement where they autox is pretty rough, so I wouldn't run a really soft compound.

:yup: None of the instructors recommended a soft compound tire for the Airport courses.

99LS1
03-08-2005, 10:33 AM
I called Appalation tires, and they're getting out of the used racing tire business. They're turning it over to a local guy whose retiring and wanted to take it over. He said he'll have the guy's number in about a week.

Wicked
03-08-2005, 04:36 PM

Whats the difference between them and the regular 555 and the 555 drag radials? I figure its probably a marriage of the two. :shrug:

I ask because I ordered a set of 555's for my car for the front.

Sendero
03-08-2005, 05:41 PM
Whats the difference between them and the regular 555 and the 555 drag radials? I figure its probably a marriage of the two. :shrug:

Stiffer sidewall.

Wicked
03-08-2005, 05:47 PM
Stiffer sidewall.

Hmmm, I wish I'd have known, I'd have gotten those instead of my new DR's.

Italian LX
03-08-2005, 05:47 PM
Stiffer sidewall.
Nope. :nono:

That's the difference between the 555RII and the 555R. :P

Italian LX
03-08-2005, 05:49 PM

The 555 is just a normal Z-rated street tire. It doesn't have the soft compund of the RII and the R. It also has a different tread design; it is similar to the others, but with more (smaller) blocks.

Wicked
03-08-2005, 05:51 PM
The 555 is just a normal Z-rated street tire. It doesn't have the soft compund of the RII and the R. It also has a different tread design; it is similar to the others, but with more (smaller) blocks.

So did I buy a bad tire? Or just not the best they make.

Italian LX
03-08-2005, 06:00 PM
I run 555's on the front; I think an RII or the drag radial may be too much for a front runner. They also have taller siewalls and I don't think it would look right anyway.

IMO, the 555 is an excellent choice for the front. :nice:

Sendero
03-08-2005, 06:02 PM
Nope. :nono:

That's the difference between the 555RII and the 555R. :P

He got what I meant... :shrug:

You bought a good tire, for specific purpose. The RII's have a stiff sidewall which can produce a harsher ride. I don't know if I would run them on the street because I have never had a set. Lee, Shelly, or Brian will have to chime in with their views.

TheJeanyus
03-08-2005, 06:23 PM
I run 555's on the front; I think an RII or the drag radial may be too much for a front runner. They also have taller siewalls and I don't think it would look right anyway.

IMO, the 555 is an excellent choice for the front. :nice:
For a auto-x car, a 555RII would work great on the front. If you just put them on the back, you'll be pushing the front end really bad.

QWKSNKE
03-08-2005, 06:32 PM
Only difference between a Nitto Drag Radial (555R) and the 555RII is the sidewall firmness. didn't really notice any ride difference but handling is improved. Before when running a 275 d/r on my 7.5" wheel, the car would wobble a little bit on high speed turns. The RII's don't do that.

JTowe85
03-19-2005, 11:03 AM
I had the Nitto 555R on my car..... They didnt last long. if your gonna buy them then find some other rims for them....Personally i didnt think that $350 for tires that lasted 8000mi was worth it. They did hook real good though Nathan and i know in the rain they had good traction when going around turns, and on the track they brought my 60ft down too.