PDA

View Full Version : screw in freeze plugs

waypastcrazy
07-27-2008, 02:18 PM
Hey all got a small question. Is screw in freeze plugs worth the time and effort to strengthen a block in a 600 to 800 hp nitrous application big block? I have never used them just wondering if someone has had experience with them. thx in advance all opinions are welcome.

LeeH
07-27-2008, 03:12 PM
Hey all got a small question. Is screw in freeze plugs worth the time and effort to strengthen a block in a 600 to 800 hp nitrous application big block? I have never used them just wondering if someone has had experience with them. thx in advance all opinions are welcome.

Well they dont really strengthen the block but they do insure you dont spit one out half track though.

Craig K.
07-27-2008, 05:52 PM
I had built alchy injected outlaw motors before that ran standard style of press fit freeze plugs and never had problems.
These motors were in the 700+hp range, and ran for 20+ minutes pretty much at over 8,000 rpm.

I would not think the benifit would be the cost, unless you can do it for parts cost only.

coupe
07-27-2008, 09:04 PM
I wouldn't do it either. Just more machining time and money.

BAD INT
07-28-2008, 11:48 PM
not worth doing to a stock roller block

LeeH
07-29-2008, 07:57 PM
I had built alchy injected outlaw motors before that ran standard style of press fit freeze plugs and never had problems.
These motors were in the 700+hp range, and ran for 20+ minutes pretty much at over 8,000 rpm.

I would not think the benifit would be the cost, unless you can do it for parts cost only.

Agreed but you would be suprised how many people there are that dont know how to install freeze plugs correctly.
Anyway I wouldnt do it unless the engine was apart and no other machinework was performed prior to installation, Those plugs a NPT and will distort the block(even just a slight amount matters)when they are installed. This is a similar reason as to why torque plates are used, Every fastener or plug causes some amount of distortion when installed.

LeeH
07-29-2008, 08:00 PM
not worth doing to a stock roller block

I would say its a 385 series block judging from his post.

LeeH
07-29-2008, 08:24 PM

Oh and the weak link in the 385 series engine family is having only 10 head bolts, I have seen them lift the heads at 1100-1200HP. My jet boat never had any problems and it was making close to 950 on the bottle, The block was an old D1VE casting 4 bolt CJ block. It was enough to push my 21 1/2' 3300# boat 97mph, I wanted a Sanger or Youngblood because it would have run 110+ in one of those hulls.

EHardy1971
07-29-2008, 08:42 PM
From what I know,and have read,the main reason and benefit from this on the original BOSS 302's was mainly to strengthen the block around the motor mount area,and to keep the cylinders from distorting.This was due to the fact that the BOSS's were originally designed for the Trans-Am racing series,which was road course style racing,where "lift and stab" on the throttle was the norm IE;alot of sudden torque induced stress to the center of the block.I can see it being beneficial if you're running solid mounts,but IMHO,it would be cheaper,and MUCH more beneficial to halfway fill the water jackets with block filler,like "hard blok",or something equivalent.

waypastcrazy
07-29-2008, 10:45 PM
So in the real world even press in plugs need to be installed before machining correct?I have give a lot of thought as to do this and block filler trying to make up mind. This is going to be my first round with 500 na hp and possibly 3 to 500 of nos just trying to cover bases before I start machine work. thank u guys for opinions.I will also be doing some oiling mods

LeeH
07-29-2008, 11:07 PM
So in the real world even press in plugs need to be installed before machining correct?I have give a lot of thought as to do this and block filler trying to make up mind. This is going to be my first round with 500 na hp and possibly 3 to 500 of nos just trying to cover bases before I start machine work. thank u guys for opinions.I will also be doing some oiling mods

Yes and no, They do have an interference fit and do distort the casting but its minute. If you Hard Blok it then again do so before any machine work, There is no right or wrong answer concerning type of core plugs if the engine is apart and machine work is planned.

500Hp is easy with a BBF, I was using a dual plate Big Shot system on an Offy tunnel ram(350 shot).

BAD INT
07-29-2008, 11:21 PM
I would say its a 385 series block judging from his post.

I can read, its the rest of the board I worry about.
Any other block is game for the mod dss machines roller blocks for them and a FEE and several other mods to a junk block

QWKSNKE
07-30-2008, 07:20 AM

Don't.

Italian LX
07-30-2008, 10:29 AM

That's kind of an ironic statement coming from a board member with such bad grammar skills. :rofl:

I swear I get a headache when trying to decipher your posts... most of the time I just give up and move on. :huh:

TheJeanyus
07-30-2008, 10:38 AM
Don't.

That's kind of an ironic statement coming from a board member with such bad grammar skills. :rofl:

I swear I get a headache when trying to decipher your posts... most of the time I just give up and move on. :huh:

:rofl: :popcorn:

BAD INT
07-30-2008, 04:57 PM
Don't.

I think its apparent many cant they just look at the pictures lmao

BAD INT
07-30-2008, 05:10 PM

my writing may not be the best and I know you cant understand a F U C K I N G thing about cars your shit is SLLLOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
I have been wondering how something with that many cubes cant out run stock shortblocks.I have bit my tongue on the subject of your sled to be nice but not any longer many on this site are nice to your face but horse laugh you cause you cant build shit you have to spray to get in the 11's how sad is that if it was a stocker I could understand but it isnt.Better watch where you cast stones cause boulders will come back.

LeeH
07-30-2008, 05:37 PM
I can read,
It wasnt meant as a jab I was just pointing it out as a follow up to my opinion which is all it was. Anyway no offense meant and none taken.

its the rest of the board I worry about.
Any other block is game for the mod dss machines roller blocks for them and a FEE and several other mods to a junk block

The DSS machine work is nothing but a gimmick which I am sure you will agree, Its just like the valley girdle crap that does nothing but lighten your wallet. Nothing will help a weak casting and I mean nothing. Sorry for the rant I just cant stand the people who prey on the unsuspecting and gullible.

EHardy1971
07-30-2008, 05:38 PM
:popcorn:
Pass me some of that popcorn!:D

LeeH
07-30-2008, 05:39 PM
Don't.

LOL, I took no offense and to expand a little on that subject it takes alot to get me worked up.

BAD INT
07-30-2008, 05:48 PM
It wasnt meant as a jab I was just pointing it out as a follow up to my opinion which is all it was. Anyway no offense meant and none taken.

The DSS machine work is nothing but a gimmick which I am sure you will agree, Its just like the valley girdle crap that does nothing but lighten your wallet. Nothing will help a weak casting and I mean nothing. Sorry for the rant I just cant stand the people who prey on the unsuspecting and gullible.

Lee I didnt take it as an offense,I just didnt finish what my thought was about doing the others but that one was a total waste. I think me and you are on the same page I dont like to see people taken.To many gimmick companies out there can make a good arguement but still have worthless products.I am waiting for the flames to come my way so sit back and watch this may be good lol

LeeH
07-30-2008, 05:58 PM
Lee I didnt take it as an offense,I just didnt finish what my thought was about doing the others but that one was a total waste. I think me and you are on the same page I dont like to see people taken.To many gimmick companies out there can make a good arguement but still have worthless products.I am waiting for the flames to come my way so sit back and watch this may be good lol

I agree 100%

I am gonna sit back and watch. LOL:popcorn:

QWKSNKE
07-30-2008, 06:11 PM
I have been wondering how something with that many cubes cant out run stock shortblocks.I have bit my tongue on the subject of your sled to be nice but not any longer many on this site are nice to your face but horse laugh you cause you cant build shit you have to spray to get in the 11's how sad is that if it was a stocker I could understand but it isnt.Better watch where you cast stones cause boulders will come back.

:rofl:
His car runs 11's on motor, 10's on partial spray (2nd and 3rd gear pulls only). Not bad when you consider its a full weight street car with Racecraft suspension, and 3.27 gears and those POS M/T drag radials.
I'm sorry but you will not have a stock 302 block with the same setup run anywhere close to that in the same car. Nor would a 302 based motor car be as pleasant to drive on 100 mile round trip to work everyday. You gotta look at the whole picture. He got what he wanted out of the build. His wants were different than what others would be.

I would like to see what Italian's car will run with GOOD tires and a good transmission. None of us have seen that yet.

TheJeanyus
07-30-2008, 06:13 PM
my writing may not be the best and I know you cant understand a F U C K I N G thing about cars your shit is SLLLOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
It's the added weight from all of the switches. Gotta flip them switches, bra. :pimp:

QWKSNKE
07-30-2008, 06:15 PM
:rofl:
I'm sorry but you will not have a stock 302 block with the same setup run anywhere close to that in the same car. Nor would a 302 based motor car be as pleasant to drive on 100 mile round trip to work everyday. You gotta look at the whole picture. .

I know you are going to come back and say you have done it or your buddy has but I would have to see it in person to believe it.

SlowJoe
07-30-2008, 06:28 PM
how did this turn into a small block thread.:popcorn:

LeeH
07-30-2008, 06:29 PM

It evolved, LOL

QWKSNKE
07-30-2008, 06:36 PM

When BAD INT come on here 'implying' this board was to dumb for him. Our members are only here for the crayons and coloring books :D

Dale McPeters
07-30-2008, 06:38 PM
When BAD INT come on here 'implying' this board was to dumb for him. Our members are only here for the crayons and coloring books :D

:unsure: ........ :dump: .......... :jester:

:popcorn:

QWKSNKE
07-30-2008, 06:38 PM
,I just didnt finish what my thought was about doing the others but that one was a total waste. I think me and you are on the same page I dont like to see people taken.To many gimmick companies out there can make a good arguement but still have worthless products.

I will give you a big amen on that. UPR and DSS being the biggest ones in my opinion

waypastcrazy
07-30-2008, 06:39 PM
So the verdict is screw in freeze plugs are a gimmick?I am sorry if caused a ruckus I was just looking for opinions on the subject thx

LeeH
07-30-2008, 06:44 PM
So the verdict is screw in freeze plugs are a gimmick?I am sorry if caused a ruckus I was just looking for opinions on the subject thx

LOL no they are not a gimmick, I stand firm on my opinions from my previous posts. Dont worry its only a gimmick if its touted as being worthwhile by DSS.

BAD INT
07-30-2008, 06:44 PM
last effort 347 set up for boost but didnt have a charger went 7.41 @ 102 cant really remember mph oh and it was pump gas on 275 60 15 mis match tires out of a pile and this was with a c4 and my daily driver with ac and it had lots of suspension like his lowered also.Their is a pic of the engine in a thread about catch cans or something like that.My 306 went 12.20's with a carb and no ac and stock suspension before I finished and wrecked the car it was in

Dale McPeters
07-30-2008, 06:45 PM
LOL no they are not a gimmick, I stand firm on my opinions from my previous posts. Dont worry its only a gimmick if its touted as being worthwhile by DSS.

Does this mean you do not care for DSS? :jester:

LeeH
07-30-2008, 06:46 PM
Does this mean you do not care for DSS? :jester:

You would be correct sir.

Dale McPeters
07-30-2008, 06:48 PM
You would be correct sir.

:rofl: :rofl:

Now you know those weak 5.0 machined blocks with screw in plugs will hold at least 700rwhp........:popcorn:

LeeH
07-30-2008, 06:52 PM

Now you know those weak 5.0 machined blocks with screw in plugs will hold at least 700rwhp........:popcorn:

Just as Danny Vermin said in Johnny Dangerously "My sister hung me on a hook Once, Once"
:jester:

Dale McPeters
07-30-2008, 06:54 PM
Just as Danny Vermin said in Johnny Dangerously "My sister hung me on a hook Once, Once"
:jester:

:lol: .... your giving age away..

Hey I think we finally took over the thread!!!!!!!! :jester:

LeeH
07-30-2008, 06:56 PM
LOL, I feel old too.

Thread even LOL, Its ours all ours!

Dale McPeters
07-30-2008, 06:57 PM
LOL, I feel old too.

Thread even LOL, Its ours all ours!

:lol:

BAD INT
07-30-2008, 06:58 PM

Now you know those weak 5.0 machined blocks with screw in plugs will hold at least 1700rwhp........:popcorn:

fixed

I have had good luck out of their pistons they re machine.
Screw in freeze plugs do help just have to use some common sense.

BAD INT
07-30-2008, 07:03 PM
I will give you a big amen on that. UPR and DSS being the biggest ones in my opinion

BINGO

upr does offer good prices on suspension but I have seen bad stuff happen.I think they had to up quality quick and save skin off the ass before it was sued off.Also have heard them claim it was fatigue that caused the break and the stuff hasnt been intalled over 30days pretty shady.
DSS lots to say on that one but gimmick covers it

QWKSNKE
07-30-2008, 07:05 PM
last effort 347 set up for boost but didnt have a charger went 7.41 @ 102 cant really remember mph oh and it was pump gas on 275 60 15 mis match tires out of a pile and this was with a c4 and my daily driver with acand it had lots of suspension like his lowered also.Their is a pic of the engine in a thread about catch cans or something like that.My 306 went 12.20's with a carb and no ac and stock suspension before I finished and wrecked the car it was in

yep he can defend himself. I was just pointing out a few things since I assisted with the build

My 306 went 12.20's with a carb and no ac and stock suspension

being you are from Tennessee it probably had no interior, doors welded shut, 5 gallon buckets for seats and a bunch of bungy cords for your 5 point harness too. :D

Did you do 12.20's with 3.27 gears or 2.73's?

BAD INT
07-30-2008, 07:05 PM
:lol: .... your giving age away..

Hey I think we finally took over the thread!!!!!!!! :jester:

sure did you fargin icehole :jester:

Dale McPeters
07-30-2008, 07:09 PM
sure did you fargin icehole :jester:
:lol:

BAD INT
07-30-2008, 07:09 PM
yep he can defend himself. I was just pointing out a few things since I assisted with the build
shame shame shame
being you are from Tennessee it probably had no interior, doors welded shut, 5 gallon buckets for seats and a bunch of bungy cords for your 5 point harness too. :D

had one seat fold up lawn chair witha fuel cell I stolded from a boat
used twine for d harness ,saved buckets to hold beer and bathroom

2.31:1

LeeH
07-30-2008, 07:10 PM
Roflmao

Dale McPeters
07-30-2008, 07:10 PM
shame shame shame

had one seat fold up lawn chair witha fuel cell I stolded from a boat
used twine for d harness ,saved buckets to hold beer and bathroom

You guys are funny!!!

QWKSNKE
07-30-2008, 07:26 PM

ahh that must been when you were running the badass GM 10 bolt rear

QWKSNKE
07-30-2008, 07:28 PM
shame shame shame

I am not ashamed. I haven't seen a 'balls out run' from the car yet :D

I keep waiting for the phone call that says that POS TKO has been yanked out.

Any tranny you can't shift at with the gas pedal on the firewall is worthless to me :D

BAD INT
07-30-2008, 07:31 PM
ahh that must been when you were running the badass GM 10 bolt rear

Hell no it was a 7.5 one wheel peel almighty ford rear with mudd and snow tires on polycasts only the gud stuff here

BAD INT
07-30-2008, 07:35 PM
I keep waiting for the phone call that says that POS TKO has been yanked out.
it needs to stay with some smoothing ,little deburring.dont even think a 6 speed is better they are way worse.

Any tranny you can't shift at with the gas pedal on the firewall is worthless to me :D

no doubt, nothing shifts butter soft like a t5 and breaks like one either

qkjuicedpony
07-30-2008, 07:41 PM
If he would take the trans out I could have it fixed in an hour.....even he can do it:D

LeeH
07-30-2008, 07:51 PM
it needs to stay with some smoothing ,little deburring.dont even think a 6 speed is better they are way worse.

no doubt, nothing shifts butter soft like a t5 and breaks like one either

I agree!!
The same problem more or less that the old Ford top loader(T&C) had, Its funny since the 3550 and TKO were loosely based off of the top loader(Tremec bought the top loader from Ford years ago).

BAD INT
07-30-2008, 08:01 PM
first gen Tremmecs 3650 and 4250 were the illest shifting clanking grinding trannies I have ever had.I am religious about keeping fluid changed in tremmecs they need it,every other oil change if its mineral fluid I use,I know I could go longer but I use my tranny.The newer gen shifts a lot better but needs better fluids for use or frequent changes to live long and shift well.If most people were able to down them and debur they would be amazed how they could shift and keep fresh brass on hand.

qkjuicedpony
07-30-2008, 08:03 PM
My tko II has held up flawlessly in three different cars.

Never had one problem out of it

SlowJoe
07-30-2008, 08:08 PM
Now trannys??????????:nono:

qkjuicedpony
07-30-2008, 08:09 PM

Yes but not the ones you're used to dating!!!

SlowJoe
07-30-2008, 08:10 PM

:gayfight:

LeeH
07-30-2008, 08:12 PM
first gen Tremmecs 3650 and 4250 were the illest shifting clanking grinding trannies I have ever had.I am religious about keeping fluid changed in tremmecs they need it,every other oil change if its mineral fluid I use,I know I could go longer but I use my tranny.The newer gen shifts a lot better but needs better fluids for use or frequent changes to live long and shift well.If most people were able to down them and debur they would be amazed how they could shift and keep fresh brass on hand.

Besides keeping spare brass you need to change to the steel forks if not already installed and keep spare fork pads or install brass/lead overlay pads.

BAD INT
07-30-2008, 08:13 PM
Hope they were post OP for his sake lmao

EHardy1971
07-30-2008, 08:13 PM
:ohsnap:

LeeH
07-30-2008, 08:14 PM

LOL, Hey this thread is no longer yours:jester:

BAD INT
07-30-2008, 08:14 PM
Besides keeping spare brass you need to change to the steel forks if not already installed and keep spare fork pads or install brass/lead overlay pads.

EXACTLY!!!!

SlowJoe
07-30-2008, 08:15 PM
he is just mad cause he has a slow car now!!!!:jester:

SlowJoe
07-30-2008, 08:16 PM
LOL, Hey this thread is no longer yours:jester:

it was not mine to start with.

SlowJoe
07-30-2008, 08:19 PM
If u will GO BACK AND READ! waypastcrazy started the thead. i just had to do that:jester:

qkjuicedpony
07-30-2008, 08:20 PM
he is just mad cause he has a slow car now!!!!:jester:

care to wager that and run me with your white turd?

LeeH
07-30-2008, 08:21 PM
I dont even know if my 3550 will even hold oil anymore. LOL It has been patched back together more times than you can count, The tail housing has been welded once and the main case 3 times. I can go through a T5 or a 3550/TKO pretty fast, I just have a lack of motivation here lately.

LeeH
07-30-2008, 08:23 PM
it was not mine to start with.

LOL and it never will be, jk. Sorry I have lost track of who, what, when, where and why.

SlowJoe
07-30-2008, 08:24 PM
care to wager that and run me with your white turd?

i run u! but not for any money! hey look at it this way you want need the helmet with this car!

LeeH
07-30-2008, 08:27 PM
I challenge both of you to come out here and run within .5 of what you run down there, Our air barely supports life out here. ROFL

qkjuicedpony
07-31-2008, 05:19 AM
I challenge both of you to come out here and run within .5 of what you run down there, Our air barely supports life out here. ROFL

My old LX wound up in El Paso.The guy called me whining saying it wasn't as fast as I said it was.Then he gave me some D/A readings.

LeeH
07-31-2008, 06:39 AM
My old LX wound up in El Paso.The guy called me whining saying it wasn't as fast as I said it was.Then he gave me some D/A readings.

LOL, The air out here sux! The big joke here is "I bet it would run at least a full second better at seal level".

qkjuicedpony
07-31-2008, 06:51 AM
i run u! but not for any money! hey look at it this way you want need the helmet with this car!

You don't need a helmet on the street:D

But your junk aint got a transmission so unless you plan on fred flintstoning that pile you better get the wrenches turning

:D:D

SlowJoe
07-31-2008, 08:22 AM
You don't need a helmet on the street:D

But your junk aint got a transmission so unless you plan on fred flintstoning that pile you better get the wrenches turning

:D:D

u need to read more to! LMAO My junk does have a tranny. It will be running sat. I am heading out ur way here soon to get on the dyno and i will look u up!

qkjuicedpony
07-31-2008, 08:27 AM
u need to read more to! LMAO My junk does have a tranny. It will be running sat. I am heading out ur way here soon to get on the dyno and i will look u up!

where you going to dyno at?

SlowJoe
07-31-2008, 12:04 PM
where you going to dyno at?

Z1 motorsports i grew up with the owner and he is setting me up

qkjuicedpony
07-31-2008, 12:08 PM
Z1 motorsports i grew up with the owner and he is setting me up

well when you get done there I will put some stripes down the side of your car for you.

BTW...who owns that place

coupe
07-31-2008, 12:37 PM
Russel is the fella's name.