PDA

View Full Version : transmission fluid

SlowJoe
07-31-2008, 07:47 PM
i went to autozone and advanced today and they both said that the dexron 3 was called dexron 4 now. so i did not get any until i find out something about this. so has anyone heard anything about this?

QWKSNKE
07-31-2008, 08:38 PM
As long as you do not buy Dexron 5 you should be fine

banditmwp
07-31-2008, 10:09 PM
go to O'reilly in Ft Payne, see Joe (;)), or Rainsville and see Brandon, and get multipurpose atf fluid. Help drive my stock prices up by not shopping at the A-places!!

SlowJoe
08-01-2008, 07:49 PM
go to O'reilly in Ft Payne, see Joe (;)), or Rainsville and see Brandon, and get multipurpose atf fluid. Help drive my stock prices up by not shopping at the A-places!!

all these auto parts stores need to update there computers. went to all three and i am still short a rear trans seal. all they are showing is a WCT5,T-45 threw 2003. mine is a 2002 with a 3650. ford put the 3650 in halfway in 2001. Are the 3650 and t-45 the same seal or what. i want to get this running tomorrow and dont want to mess the seal up trying to get it out if they are not the same.

Autozone did show the 3650 but the seal was N/A.

banditmwp
08-01-2008, 09:58 PM
seal should be a national part number 710431, but national's online catalog isn't very clear on that...

good luck finding that seal in stock anywhere. Closest O'Reilly to you stocking it is in Arab :(

militarymustang88gt
08-01-2008, 11:00 PM
use gm syncro mesh. make gear whine a whole lot less noticable than dex/merc 3

QWKSNKE
08-02-2008, 10:53 AM
Joe,
Just remembered, 3650's call for synthetic fluid

SlowJoe
08-02-2008, 11:02 AM
Joe,
Just remembered, 3650's call for synthetic fluid

i done got the dexron 4. so what should i get? i cant afford the syncro mesh.

QWKSNKE
08-02-2008, 05:56 PM
i done got the dexron 4. so what should i get? i cant afford the syncro mesh.

synchro mesh is not supposed to be used in the OEM ford tranny's. Dexeon 4 might be synthetic. I don't know.

Thinking about it some more, it probably is not a big deal to not use synthetic fluid. So I wouldn't worry about it.

LeeH
08-03-2008, 12:06 PM
synchro mesh is not supposed to be used in the OEM ford tranny's. Dexeon 4 might be synthetic. I don't know.

Thinking about it some more, it probably is not a big deal to not use synthetic fluid. So I wouldn't worry about it.

Synchromesh does not have the friction modifiers that are friendly with fiber lined blocker rings, Synchromesh was designed for transmissions using brass blocker rings. Dexron/Mercon III is next to impossible to find anymore and the newer IV & V are way different in terms of additive packages, I would run C4 hyd fluid before I used Dexron IV or V!!!! Now onto synthetic fluids, They require a special friction modifier to work correctly in a trans with fiber lined blockers. Go find an Allison dealer in your area and get the Allison brand synth auto trans fluid. It comes in 1 gal jugs or 5 gal buckets and for the price is cheaper that going to Vatozone or comparable stores, Plus it has the friction modifiers in it(folic acid based if I remember correctly).

banditmwp
08-03-2008, 02:36 PM
Dexron/Mercon III is next to impossible to find anymore

funny. all of our stores stock a minimum of 8 cases at all times. not so hard to me.

LeeH
08-03-2008, 05:05 PM
Where do you live? I dont live anywhere close to most of you guys and out here its impossible to find.

banditmwp
08-03-2008, 05:47 PM
Where do you live? I dont live anywhere close to most of you guys and out here its impossible to find.

Is there an O'Reilly Auto Parts near you? In fact, all the Notknowzones and Advances around here stock it as well...

edit - is has all been relabled as "Premium Multipurpose ATF" or the like...same formulation though.

LeeH
08-03-2008, 06:02 PM
Is there an O'Reilly Auto Parts near you? In fact, all the Notknowzones and Advances around here stock it as well...

edit - is has all been relabled as "Premium Multipurpose ATF" or the like...same formulation though.

Numerous O'Reilly's(3 or 4), Vatozones(4 or 5) and Advance/Parts America(2 or 3) stores here. I was unaware that they relabled the Dexron III, I am also sure that the employees are unaware too. LOL

qkjuicedpony
08-03-2008, 06:03 PM
Numerous O'Reilly's(3 or 4), Vatozones(4 or 5) and Advance/Parts America(2 or 3) stores here. I was unaware that they relabled the Dexron III, I am also sure that the employees are unaware too. LOL

Do any of the employees speaka de english:D

SlowJoe
08-03-2008, 06:22 PM

:spit:

LeeH
08-03-2008, 06:45 PM

1 or 2 employees speak broken "Englitch" at the various Vatozones but the rest of the parts stores have bilingual employees which are better than 50% understandable, It sux because they(Autozone) will bypass waiting customers to assist non english speaking customers. That is why I only go there if I have no choice, Like Synchromesh which the O'Reilly's and Parts America stores do not carry here.

banditmwp
08-03-2008, 08:11 PM
... only go there if I have no choice, Like Synchromesh which the O'Reilly's and Parts America stores do not carry here.

tell them to order either part number (PEN SYNCHROMESH) or (RYP SYNCHROMAX) at O'reilly. The second one is royal purple's synthetic version, the first is Pennzoil conventional sychromesh. :nice:

LeeH
08-03-2008, 08:21 PM
tell them to order either part number (PEN SYNCHROMESH) or (RYP SYNCHROMAX) at O'reilly. The second one is royal purple's synthetic version, the first is Pennzoil conventional sychromesh. :nice:

The Penz synchromesh is what I run and is in stock at Vatozone, With my schedule its hard to order something and pick it up before they send id back to the warehouse. 2 days is all you have before they ship it back and thats all of the O'Reilly's here in Odessa, I have had it happen several times and there is nothing you can say to keep them from doing this. Damn I miss Super Shops!

BAD INT
08-04-2008, 02:14 PM
Synchromesh does not have the friction modifiers that are friendly with fiber lined blocker rings, Synchromesh was designed for transmissions using brass blocker rings. Dexron/Mercon III is next to impossible to find anymore and the newer IV & V are way different in terms of additive packages, I would run C4 hyd fluid before I used Dexron IV or V!!!! Now onto synthetic fluids, They require a special friction modifier to work correctly in a trans with fiber lined blockers. Go find an Allison dealer in your area and get the Allison brand synth auto trans fluid. It comes in 1 gal jugs or 5 gal buckets and for the price is cheaper that going to Vatozone or comparable stores, Plus it has the friction modifiers in it(folic acid based if I remember correctly).

is type f even available any more? fewer stores are carrying it now days,
for extended tranny fluid changes I use mobil 1 synthetic atf in my manuals or the snychro mesh but if I use the mineral standard atf every other oil change I change the tranny at at most every three.I use a John Deere product for my automatics

PonyChick
08-04-2008, 06:16 PM
is type f even available any more? fewer stores are carrying it now days,
for extended tranny fluid changes I use mobil 1 synthetic atf in my manuals or the snychro mesh but if I use the mineral standard atf every other oil change I change the tranny at at most every three.I use a John Deere product for my automatics

O'Reilly's also keeps Type F in stock.

PonyChick
08-04-2008, 06:17 PM
The Penz synchromesh is what I run and is in stock at Vatozone, With my schedule its hard to order something and pick it up before they send id back to the warehouse. 2 days is all you have before they ship it back and thats all of the O'Reilly's here in Odessa, I have had it happen several times and there is nothing you can say to keep them from doing this. Damn I miss Super Shops!

If you prepay for it they cannot send it back. The reason it will go back to the warehouse is because it's non-stocking for the store and not paid for.

LeeH
08-04-2008, 07:44 PM
If you prepay for it they cannot send it back. The reason it will go back to the warehouse is because it's non-stocking for the store and not paid for.

You might want to call the E. 8th St. store here in Odessa Tx and let them know that, Heck I played this game 3 times with them on a set of rings for the white car.

banditmwp
08-04-2008, 07:55 PM
You might want to call the E. 8th St. store here in Odessa Tx and let them know that, Heck I played this game 3 times with them on a set of rings for the white car.

move here, we'll take care of you :D

LeeH
08-04-2008, 08:03 PM
move here, we'll take care of you :D

Ship the parts to me, I like my current house too much to move:D

banditmwp
08-04-2008, 08:13 PM
Ship the parts to me, I like my current house too much to move:D

it can be arranged. if it's worth the extra expense, that is :eric:

LeeH
08-04-2008, 08:28 PM
it can be arranged. if it's worth the extra expense, that is :eric: