PDA

View Full Version : driveshaft question.....

b-blown
09-01-2008, 11:52 AM
is the heavy damper really neccesary on the driveshaft ...mine came loose so I removed it ...it seems ok but what is its purpose ...thanks

militarymustang88gt
09-01-2008, 11:57 AM
harmonic vibrations. it is for the auto cars which i am guessing yours is.

b-blown
09-01-2008, 01:49 PM
actually mine is a stick car ...if that makes a difference

militarymustang88gt
09-01-2008, 04:58 PM
some one might have had a auto drive shaft in there then. and that is why you dont notice a difference. it helps keep some of the vibrations out form the o/d in the aods and aodes

QWKSNKE
09-01-2008, 05:01 PM
All 4cyl's that I have seen have this regardless of tranny.

5.0 cars had them on autos but not on the manuals

86GTPONY
09-01-2008, 05:38 PM
:agree: If you removed the balancer on the driveshaft, you should have the balance checked if you experience any additional vibrations. If no add'l vibes - enjoy the extra 2 hp you'll get from not having to sling that weight!

stangman
09-01-2008, 07:12 PM
:agree:

b-blown
09-01-2008, 07:17 PM
thats what I wanted to here ...thanks guys

SvoBrown
09-01-2008, 07:47 PM
go aluminum. Not that high and it is a better stronger faster. Or I think that.

86GTPONY
09-01-2008, 08:11 PM
go aluminum. Not that high and it is a better stronger faster. Or I think that.
I found an alluminum driveshaft in the junkyard for $25. Don't know what it came out of because it was just laying on the ground in the Ford section. I had new joints installed and had it ballanced & it made a noticeable difference on the 2.3! If you can find one used - go for it!!!

coreydaniel
09-08-2008, 06:10 PM
My ranger had a damper on the first driveshaft. The first pass i made at the track i had some 28x13.5 mickey thompsons on and the damper broke loose.
i changed it out for an aluminum one out of an aerostar van i had. I was the perfect length for my ranger which is a long bed.

b-blown
09-20-2008, 04:10 PM
ok so I can find an aerostar and swipe the driveshaft ....hope the neighbour doesn`t mind....lol..but seriously the aerostar will work just fine ...eh I have been driving it and it does have a vibe at slow speeds like 40km my shaft is 45in.from yoke c/l to yoke c/l does this sound like the same length

b-blown
09-20-2008, 04:37 PM
ok I just measured 2 different aerostars and this is the conclusion ....the rearwheel drive ones have a steel driveshaft and the all wheel drive ones have an aluminum one that measures the same as a stock mustangs

QWKSNKE
09-20-2008, 07:18 PM
interesting. I didn't know that.

I also have not seen and did not know they ever made a AWD aerostar :huh:

b-blown
09-21-2008, 07:35 AM
yup they do ,and up here in canada they were quite popular,have been thinkinng fo an aerostar allwheel drive setup under a ranger with a big ass turbo it would be like owning a ford version of the chevy syclone

SvoBrown
09-21-2008, 09:07 AM
I also had heard of the drive shaft working out of those. I have an extra aluminum drive shaft in the shop now. Hint hint!

b-blown
09-21-2008, 12:12 PM
I also had heard of the drive shaft working out of those. I have an extra aluminum drive shaft in the shop now. Hint hint!

question is how much....I have to consider how much shipping will cost I`m in northern ontario canada P5A 1P8 Elliot Lake ,Ontario,Canada and am assuming its the ford racing piece ?

militarymustang88gt
09-21-2008, 01:43 PM
I found an alluminum driveshaft in the junkyard for $25. Don't know what it came out of because it was just laying on the ground in the Ford section. I had new joints installed and had it ballanced & it made a noticeable difference on the 2.3! If you can find one used - go for it!!!

the newer ford explorers have them

coreydaniel
09-21-2008, 06:09 PM
The aerostar i got mine out of was just rear wheel drive. All i had to change was the front yoke, because im running a t5. Maybe i just got lucky. Ive never seen an awd one though.

SvoBrown
09-21-2008, 06:21 PM
Shipping sucks!!!! No way you want me to send this.

86GTPONY
09-21-2008, 06:28 PM
The aerostar i got mine out of was just rear wheel drive. All i had to change was the front yoke, because im running a t5. Maybe i just got lucky. Ive never seen an awd one though.

:yup: Yep, I forgot - I did change the front yoke when I did the new u-joints, as I'm running a T-5 as well. Thing is - I never saw what it came out of. It was laying on the ground and I said "huh" & measured it...good to go!

b-blown
09-22-2008, 05:49 AM

well i checked 12 differeny aerostars yesterday 5 all wheel drives and 7 2 wheel drives and all the 2 wheel drives all had stell shafts and the awds had the aluminumdidn`t get to look at any of the explorers or the rangers ...will check them out today ...

b-blown
09-22-2008, 04:03 PM
UPDATE- I found an aluminum driveshaft locally ....so all i do now is change out the yoke,put in new u-joints and go from there or maybe I won`t need to change the yoke its out of an all wheel drive so maybe it`ll have the same spline count in the transfer case ,I won`t know until I yank it I guess,the shaft cost me 30 bux to buy

b-blown
09-25-2008, 09:11 AM
this yoke looks the same physically ...did you guys checkto see if it would actually fit or just changed it to be safe .....

86GTPONY
09-25-2008, 11:55 AM
The yoke on mine was physically different. If yours looks the same - then try and slip it in. What do you have to lose?

b-blown
09-25-2008, 04:41 PM
The yoke on mine was physically different. If yours looks the same - then try and slip it in. What do you have to lose?

if you changed your yoke did you use the same u-joint or did you have to get a different one ?

86GTPONY
09-25-2008, 05:19 PM
if you changed your yoke did you use the same u-joint or did you have to get a different one ?
I had new joints installed, but they were the same size.

b-blown
09-25-2008, 06:22 PM
thats the answer I wanted to hear Don...actually I just got the napaprolink fired up on the home computer and was able to cross the u=joints and YUP they`re the same ....lol

86GTPONY
09-25-2008, 06:38 PM
thats the answer I wanted to hear Don...actually I just got the napaprolink fired up on the home computer and was able to cross the u=joints and YUP they`re the same ....lol
Now I can't remember if I also changed the tail yoke... Either way, you can use the yokes off your old shaft. I might have spares if you need. Anyway, do use new u-joints and if you have a local driveshaft shop, have them check the balance. It helps the life of the joints as well as keeping the driveshaft bolts from backing out (even with loc-tite)...

b-blown
09-26-2008, 01:13 AM
Now I can't remember if I also changed the tail yoke... Either way, you can use the yokes off your old shaft. I might have spares if you need. Anyway, do use new u-joints and if you have a local driveshaft shop, have them check the balance. It helps the life of the joints as well as keeping the driveshaft bolts from backing out (even with loc-tite)...

up here in the great white north driveshaft shops aren`t readily available .....so I`m just gonna try it and see....

b-blown
09-26-2008, 05:59 PM
ok all is well the front yoke fit ...the rear companion flange was different and the new napa # is 1-0134 it uses 1310 on 1 side and 1330 on the other the shafts in and it got rid of the vibration

86GTPONY
09-26-2008, 06:09 PM
ok all is well the front yoke fit ...the rear companion flange was different and the new napa # is 1-0134 it uses 1310 on 1 side and 1330 on the other the shafts in and it got rid of the vibration
Glad to hear it's good! I thought I was going to have to use a hybid u-joint when I did mine, but I had a tail piece that matched. I guess it helps to have a bunch of crap laying around to size up & compare.

b-blown
09-26-2008, 07:32 PM
Glad to hear it's good! I thought I was going to have to use a hybid u-joint when I did mine, but I had a tail piece that matched. I guess it helps to have a bunch of crap laying around to size up & compare.

well if I wasn`t trying to get it done in time for work I woud have searched around more myself ...and it looks a whole lot better than the rusty pos that was in there

b-blown
09-28-2008, 07:09 PM
heres a pic of the part number http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/2163/dscf0228yj5.jpg