PDA

View Full Version : The white car

LeeH
09-08-2008, 01:04 AM
Well I think the only person on here that knows this car is Dale but tonight at 9pm she rumbled to life after about 6 months of being scattered. I pulled the T5 to go through it and found more problems than I expected, So I decided since it was going to be down a little longer I would go ahead and go through the engine too.

What I found was 3 broken head bolts and the ring grooves on all 8 pistons were beat out, It had 2 spun cam bearings and the crank was junk. Well after checking the cam bearing bores and finding them to be okay it got another set of pistons, Edy RPM heads 60229, Edy Perf intake, 1.7 TFS rockers, FMS 36# inj., PMAS 75mm, BBK 65mm T-body, BBK AFPR, PowerBond balancer, Another crank, Rings/bearings, ARP main studs, ARP head bolts, Flow Tech LT headers and an S-Trim(well everything is installed but the head unit).
The transmission needed a countershaft(aka cluster gear), Mainshaft, Input shaft and 3rd gear along with bearings. I found a T5 out of a 2002 V6 stang in a wrecking yard so I bought it, I can do an article on converting one to a fox application. LOL
I tore it down and replaced the bearings, Drilled the mainshaft for the speedometer gear clip, swapped the tail housing, Installed a new input shaft and front bearing retainer(The 94 up T5s used the same 5/8 longer input and longer sleeve bearing retainer). The V6 T5s used the 300ft lb WC V8 gear set, It consists of the 068 cluster which is the 300# gear set(also same as the 065) however the Tremec website claim it to be 240# which has to be a misprint according to the gear set used. The transmission I converted was a TTET1798(tag number), So just be aware that these transmissions are keepers if you run across one in a wrecking yard.

Anyway without the head unit installed it rumbled to life and seems to be running pretty good, I have my initial timing set at 14* until I can go play with it. I am going to replace my A/C compressor clutch since the bearings are fubar and weld up a few exhaust leaks before I go run it around town, Oh and put my Drag Lites off the green car on it.:baby:

Dale McPeters
09-08-2008, 07:30 AM
Glad I got to hear it run last night.......finally!!!! :lol:
By the way I made a diagram for the vac. lines that you called about, I will get that into a pdf for future reference. :)
:pics: :slips:
Go ahead and do a write up on the changes that are required on the tranny maybe we can put them in the tech section or something. Someone will be asking about this one of these days.....:jester:

coupe
09-08-2008, 07:54 AM
Yes... :pics:

mrmustangconvert
09-08-2008, 08:46 AM
:pics: :poke:

89five0Gt
09-08-2008, 10:53 AM
hell why not.... :pics:

LeeH
09-08-2008, 03:51 PM
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc352/Leehphotos/Whitecar2.jpg
Sorry my phone doesn't have much memory, I will get a few of the engine even though its far from clean. I am going to hide the wiring and polish the valve covers at some point but due to some new city ordinances I had to get it running or face fines.

QWKSNKE
09-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Good.
Now that you have it running you can come to track day next month :D

LeeH
09-08-2008, 06:36 PM
Good.
Now that you have it running you can come to track day next month :D

LOL, There are too many hurricanes making landfall between here and there.

Dale McPeters
09-08-2008, 07:13 PM
LOL, There are too many hurricanes making landfall between here and there.
But they will be over by track day. :unsure:

The car is starting to look good now. It looks a lot better with those wheels on it compared to the other ones. :nice:

By the way I will have to send you a picture with the new cobra r's on the '93 cobra.
I also did some digging and found my binks paint gun last night. Now I can spot paint a few things. :)

LeeH
09-09-2008, 06:52 PM
Well I had a draw on the battery and found the regulator stuck, When I pulled it apart one of the brushes was broken. This is a new alternator but I bought it as a spare a few years ago, On a side note you would be suprised how many people that work in "parts stores" that don't know how to check an alt.
The guy at the parts store tells me he has an 85 4 banger coupe that he's gonna drop a 302 in, He then tells me he has a donor car and that it's a 82 Capri. I tell him the Capri is worth more but he tells me it's not as nice as the stang, What he described to me is an 82 Black Magic Capri(can we all say fuggin idiot).

SlowJoe
09-09-2008, 08:18 PM
i like the gt stangs! and u really dont own anything now days, some of these laws suck!!!!!!!!:dump:

QWKSNKE
09-09-2008, 09:45 PM
I have not seen a 'black magic' car in a loooooooooooong time

LeeH
09-09-2008, 10:30 PM
I have not seen a 'black magic' car in a loooooooooooong time

Me either, I told him what it was and how to verify it using the buck tag but he just flat doesnt care. There are a few RS cars, a Crimson Cat and an ASC McLaren local but that is the first Black Magic I have heard of around here in well over 10 years. That is why I like my 82, It turns heads because most people have no idea what it is.

LeeH
04-13-2009, 03:04 AM
Well it's getting there, I got the head unit back together and on the car. Now it's getting hot so I guess I will change t-stat and check the radiator but it seems to run good other than being a tad rich at idle. I will toss the EPEC in it this week and see how it runs.

Dale McPeters
04-13-2009, 02:49 PM
Well it's getting there, I got the head unit back together and on the car. Now it's getting hot so I guess I will change t-stat and check the radiator but it seems to run good other than being a tad rich at idle. I will toss the EPEC in it this week and see how it runs.

:lol:
All I could hear was a high pitched grinding/whining sound......are you sure you actually put bearings back in the blower housing? Or did you just fill it full of rocks and sand? :jester:

By the way what is the deal about posting at 4:00am in the morning? Another PS3 grudge match? :D

Italian LX
04-13-2009, 03:40 PM
. . . Or did you just fill it full of rocks and sand? :jester:
Or crushed up walnuts? :shrug:

:D

EHardy1971
04-13-2009, 09:35 PM

:spit:

LeeH
04-13-2009, 09:57 PM

LeeH
04-13-2009, 09:59 PM
All I could hear was a high pitched grinding/whining sound......are you sure you actually put bearings back in the blower housing? Or did you just fill it full of rocks and sand? :jester:

By the way what is the deal about posting at 4:00am in the morning? Another PS3 grudge match? :D

Shhhh, remember it's my alternator that whining.:jester:

Nah, Just bored and couldn't sleep. Went to bed at 5:30am and got up at 8:30am.