PDA

View Full Version : head gasket

97cobrasvt
09-10-2008, 02:01 PM
what is the best one to use on a nitrous motor?? I looked at the copper ones but I was wanting a all out nitrous head gasket. Was wondering if anyone has used the multilayered head gasket? Thanks Steven

04 Mach1
09-10-2008, 06:00 PM
This last time I put on felpro mls and haven't blown them yet. They get my vote!!!

EHardy1971
09-10-2008, 07:57 PM
I've been hearing/reading a lot of good things about ROL headgaskets.

BAD INT
09-10-2008, 08:29 PM
fel-pro mls are niiiiiiice I stil use either 1011-1 or 1011-2

waypastcrazy
09-10-2008, 08:40 PM
From my experience the mls cometics will hold but should be on an engine that has had deck machined and head surfaced. Personally I would rather a gasket blow under a detonation to releive pressure off the piston and rod unless u are good enough tuner to never have a detonation issue or check your bearings when it does . Most guys that use mls check or freshen there engines on a religious basis especially if it detonates. Me personally I will be running rol on my bb with nos. Just my .02 worth

QWKSNKE
09-11-2008, 06:36 PM
From my experience the mls cometics will hold but should be on an engine that has had deck machined and head surfaced.

+1. Both decks must be nearly perfect

97cobrasvt
09-11-2008, 07:51 PM
my heads are going to the machine shop in the morning to get some work done. My block was decked when I carried it to the shop. I was wondering what would be the best head gasket to run on my car spraying as much as I am planning on spraying it.

BAD INT
09-11-2008, 07:53 PM
my heads are going to the machine shop in the morning to get some work done. My block was decked when I carried it to the shop. I was wondering what would be the best head gasket to run on my car spraying as much as I am planning on spraying it.

one thing you didnt give enough details about the engine such as comp, material of heads how much nitrous.more info would be nice we are just throwing gaskets at you without any info on your end.blind question

97cobrasvt
09-11-2008, 08:10 PM
one thing you didnt give enough details about the engine such as comp, material of heads how much nitrous.more info would be nice we are just throwing gaskets at you without any info on your end.blind question

I am sorry alot of people on here know my set up. It's a 393 Windsor with a custom nitrous cam( thanks to Edgar) . It's a low compression motor 8.5 to 1 with some small vic jr heads and am spraying it 250 -300. Hope this helps

waypastcrazy
09-11-2008, 08:23 PM
fel-pro mls are niiiiiiice I stil use either 1011-1 or 1011-2the 1011 have held up well for me to but the 1011 2 are copper ring and recommended for alum heads the 1011 1 are steel ringed and I have seen them cut uneven grooves in alum heads.majority of my experience with felpro was on a 14 compression cleveland so one of the windsor guys would be of more help.

waypastcrazy
09-11-2008, 08:28 PM
I will leave this one for windsor guys but one word of advice. With lots of cylinder pressure torque and retorque. Good luck with your combo. Clyde

BAD INT
09-11-2008, 10:31 PM
I am sorry alot of people on here know my set up. It's a 393 Windsor with a custom nitrous cam( thanks to Edgar) . It's a low compression motor 8.5 to 1 with some small vic jr heads and am spraying it 250 -300. Hope this helps

thanks for the info

fel pro 9333pt 2 1011-2 or mls

if you go the mls route pass on cometic have heard the big dog class racers having issues.

studded??? or good bolts?
hope your not going o ring

97cobrasvt
09-11-2008, 10:40 PM
thanks for the info

fel pro 9333pt 2 1011-2 or mls

if you go the mls route pass on cometic have heard the big dog class racers having issues.

studded??? or good bolts?
hope your not going o ring

Arp bolts, I am not going on ring. Thanks

97cobrasvt
09-11-2008, 10:45 PM
I will leave this one for windsor guys but one word of advice. With lots of cylinder pressure torque and retorque. Good luck with your combo. Clyde

thanks this is the same combo I have been running for a couple years. I have done fine with it 10.50 @ 13? Mph witch ain't bad shifting gears

coupe
09-12-2008, 07:33 AM
Good advice abound. Ask Edgar too; he has been spraying 200+ for years now, with relative success. :nice:

Wickd GT
09-16-2008, 05:17 AM
Either go with the Felpro or Cometic gasket. I have been using Cometic gasket almost 4 years now and rocks. If you go with the Cometic let me know and I'll tell you what you need to do to get them prep so no leaks will ocurred, even though they should not leak, but I always do a little prep on them:

Edgar

Another thing, if you are going to use ARP studs, they are 1/2 for the windsor. Torque the heads at 110 ft lbs all of them. Your motor is FI or carburated, what Nitrous system you are using.

waypastcrazy
09-16-2008, 06:44 AM
Either go with the Felpro or Cometic gasket. I have been using Cometic gasket almost 4 years now and rocks. If you go with the Cometic let me know and I'll tell you what you need to do to get them prep so no leaks will ocurred, even though they should not leak, but I always do a little prep on them:

Edgar

Another thing, if you are going to use ARP studs, they are 1/2 for the windsor. Torque the heads at 110 ft lbs all of them. Your motor is FI or carburated, what Nitrous system you are using.I would like to know your prep method for my to know files pls.thx clyde

97cobrasvt
09-16-2008, 08:44 PM

Edgar

Another thing, if you are going to use ARP studs, they are 1/2 for the windsor. Torque the heads at 110 ft lbs all of them. Your motor is FI or carburated, what Nitrous system you are using.

I was thinking of useing the cometic gasket. I am running FI and a NX dual stage plate kit . What do you do to prep the gasket. Thanks Steven

Wickd GT
09-17-2008, 05:59 AM
This what you need to do, first get a can of Copper Coat Gasket Compound, not the spray can. Then put the Cometic gasket on top of the block, and check the rivets at the end if they interfere with the head if the do, take the front and rear rivets off. In the instructions it will tell you the same thing, it depend on the brand of Head. If you do not need to take the rivets off, take the Copper Coat compound and start laying a coat in between the layers of the cometic gasket at the top inside both sides, everywhere there is a water hole, do not put any on the outside of the gasket meaning the front and back of the gasket, next prep the block, lay a layer from front to rear at the top of the lifter galley of the block and the corners, put in every water hole and the return hole of the block, once this is done lay the gasket the correct way just look at your old head gaskets (Front). Now lay the gasket on the block, put in all the heads studs, if the bottom ones are in the water jacket, make sure they have liquid Teflon etc.. Now get the head, lay a coat across the top of the head from front to rear, were it meets the lifter galley at the block, put in every water hole and oil return. Once this is done put the head on and torque to 110 lbs ft all of them. Ok now you are going to ask, why the copper gasket coat? This gaskets sometimes will sip at the oil return and some of the water jacks. This will get this gasket so sticky that when you try to get the head off is a bitch, but no leaks and you can reuse them again. If you need to reuse them, just clean any copper gasket on top of the gasket with carb cleaner on a rag not straight to the gasket and do the same procedures above listed. The key here is the rivets on the gasket, if they interfere or not any questions call me at my cell. 334-464-7928

Edgar

97cobrasvt
09-17-2008, 09:32 AM
thanks Edgar