PDA

View Full Version : SVO double valve springs eating up my valve stem seat!! Any ideas?

TooManyMustangs
09-17-2008, 11:36 AM
EDIT: that is supposed to say valve stem seal not seat sorry....seats are fine

I have a set of the SVO double valve springs on a set of worked E7 heads on a 5.0 engine and I notice the motor smoked some on intial startup....well I found the valve stems seal destroyed on most all the valves....I think they are getting caught by the springs and then they start letting oil in of course...

Is there a specfic seal to use with this springs? These seals are the blue type with a little metal cage around it. Let me know....I thought this motor has rings goin bad or somthing but turns out its just this problem!!

coupe
09-17-2008, 02:38 PM
They should be the good positive viton seals all around (like found on aftermarket aluminum heads). Not sure on diameter, but it should not be difficult to find what you need. Cheap umbrella seals will probably not last.

TooManyMustangs
09-17-2008, 05:42 PM
Well I think the blue viton seals are whats on it now and are getting caught and chewed up...

SlowJoe
09-17-2008, 06:11 PM
e7s :think: dont u have something better to play with? are they the right springs? can u mill the head and use smaller seals?

TooManyMustangs
09-17-2008, 06:51 PM
This is another motor I have had for awhile thinking about putting it into my new black LX hatch...trust me these E7s aren't your typical set....they got big valves, ported. The springs/retainers are correct and the motor ran great just had that bit of smoke at start-up that I traced down to the stem seals.

SlowJoe
09-17-2008, 07:01 PM
how big of a cam?

Wickd GT
09-17-2008, 08:11 PM
It probably has the wrong seat hight, if is hitting the seal, means the retainer is hitting the valve seal, meaning the valve spring hight is wrong for the cam if it is aftermarket. Check inot that.

Edgar

TooManyMustangs
09-18-2008, 02:23 AM
Just a E-cam Joe....

the retainers aren't hitting the seals, the inner spring is snagging the seal and moving it up down and some are torn or broke...

I think I just need seals with a smaller outer diameter...?

Wickd GT
09-18-2008, 05:56 AM
That cam does not need double spring, unles the inside is a dampner, looks like a spring inside.

Edgar

coupe
09-18-2008, 07:48 AM
I think I just need seals with a smaller outer diameter...?

correct. Call Birmingham Piston (205) 591-4000.

The guy on the phone will help you out, just make sure you have the dimensions you need. They are very helpful and knowledgable!

TooManyMustangs
09-18-2008, 01:23 PM
K thanks Coupe, and Edgar it does look like a smaller spring inside the larger outer one, that is why I called them a double spring, but your probably correct it is just a damper

LeeH
09-18-2008, 09:28 PM
K thanks Coupe, and Edgar it does look like a smaller spring inside the larger outter one, that is why I called them a double spring, but your probably correct it is just a damper

Cut the guide bosses for PC seals, They make 2 different seals and cutters for a 5/16 stem. There is a cutter for rubber/viton seals, then there is a cutter for an all viton seal. The O.D. of the boss is the only difference so the cutters are different I.D. but I cant remember what the O.D. of the 2 are, The umbrella seals will hang the inner spring depending upon the type spring package used. The cutters I have are Isky and if you want I will get the numbers for you, NAPA was stocking the all viton PC seal.