PDA

View Full Version : tranny options

tayzoid1
09-20-2008, 10:27 PM
ok so i just broke third out of my newest stang shifted ointo third and just big snap and then alot of metal crunchin sounds clutch pushed in it stops, neutral w/ clutch let out sounds like its falling out it drive the same in 1,2,4,5 besides the loud rattling sound and in third it feels like the motors tryin to jump out and kill somone. i dont know what to doi becouse this is the 3rd t-5 ive brock not even gettin on the throttle so i need something to in thats going to be the easiest/cheapest to install. i dont know what tranny will bolt in its place i just always put in another t-5 and i am tired of pullin trannys any help is appriciated

taylor

tayzoid1
09-20-2008, 11:25 PM
if anybody has a beefier transmission for sale let me know becouse to get the money i have to sell the other black mustang so then i will have no car to drive so i need anything asap

thanks taylor

QWKSNKE
09-21-2008, 08:18 AM
Talk to Bandit. He has a hookup on TKO 600's

LeeH
09-21-2008, 03:23 PM
ok so i just broke third out of my newest stang shifted ointo third and just big snap and then alot of metal crunchin sounds clutch pushed in it stops, neutral w/ clutch let out sounds like its falling out it drive the same in 1,2,4,5 besides the loud rattling sound and in third it feels like the motors tryin to jump out and kill somone. i dont know what to doi becouse this is the 3rd t-5 ive brock not even gettin on the throttle so i need something to in thats going to be the easiest/cheapest to install. i dont know what tranny will bolt in its place i just always put in another t-5 and i am tired of pullin trannys any help is appriciated

taylor

Not all T5s are the same, There are 4 different WC T5s and all 4 have different Tq ratings.

1. First gen WC 265ft lb tq rating used in all v8 mustangs from 85-90
2. Second gen WC 300ft lb tq rating used in all 5.0 v8 from 90-95 and all 94-04 v6 mustangs, Later trans can be converted for use in a fox body(ask me how if interested).
3. T5z was offered through FMS/FRPP only, It has a 330ft lb tq rating.
4. WC 4 cyl T5 used from 85-93 and had a 240ft lb tq rating.

The easy way to tell what tq rating trans you have is to look at the cluster gear and read the numbers stamped on it.

052 is the 265ft lb gear set
065 & 068 is the 300ft lb gear set
048 & 054 4 cyl 240ft lb gear set
070 is the T5z 330ft lb gear set
The 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears are different between all 4 tq ratings with the odd ball ratios going to the 4 cyl T5.

First gear ratio in the transmissions are as follows.
052 has 3.35 first gear
065/068 has 3.35 first gear
070 has 2.95 first gear
048/054 has 3.97 first gear

Another T5 will be cheaper than stepping up to a Tremec.

banditmwp
09-21-2008, 05:45 PM
you can get an astro t5 rated for 350 hp for 650. that's the easiest and cheapest way to upgrade.

www.astroperformance.com (http://www.astroperformance.com)

LeeH
09-21-2008, 06:25 PM
you can get an astro t5 rated for 350 hp for 650. that's the easiest and cheapest way to upgrade.

www.astroperformance.com (http://www.astroperformance.com)

The A5 is a good trans but it isnt cheap plus its not HP that kills the transmission its Tq, Astro uses the same gear sets as Liberty.

tayzoid1
09-21-2008, 10:08 PM
cool i am just not sure how i am going to ship my core and how long it takes to get the tranny here cause i have to sell my only other running car to buy this tranny and clutch. also i dont understang why i am hearing jknocking noises from the bellhousing i sound like somone is beating in the tranny tunnel w/ a baseball bat, fuggin crazy:nono:

LeeH
09-21-2008, 11:07 PM
When you break teeth off of a gear you will have a knock or crunching sound since the all the gears riding on the cluster gear(countershaft) are turning anytime the input shaft is turning wheather the transmission is in gear or neutral. The input shaft floats inside the turning gears until you shift it, When you shift the sliding clutch mechanically connects the selected gear to the main shaft. So the reason it's knocking or crunching is either trash stuck between the teeth on a gear(knocks) or broken teeth causing a tooth mismatch(crunching).

LeeH
09-21-2008, 11:15 PM
cool i am just not sure how i am going to ship my core and how long it takes to get the tranny here cause i have to sell my only other running car to buy this tranny and clutch. also i dont understang why i am hearing jknocking noises from the bellhousing i sound like somone is beating in the tranny tunnel w/ a baseball bat, fuggin crazy:nono:

Where have you been getting your T5s from? What car are you getting rid of and what exactly are you buying?

coupe
09-22-2008, 08:10 AM
Was this the T5 you got from me? I am beginning to wonder if there is a mis-alignment somewhere on installation... that could certainly cause breakage. Taylor, there is no reason your setup should be going through T5's that easily. Your car is not that powerful and not that heavy.

As for the knocking sound...There might be a chance the pressure plate is contacting the inside of the bellhousing. The SPEC's are a little bigger and I've seen about 5 of them (out of thousands) that were slightly contacting the bellhousing inside (aluminum casting flash). If that's what's happening, the simple fix is to just grind a little bit of the bellhousing where the contact is made (it will leave a witness mark). Clearance it and it will be fine.

89five0Gt
09-22-2008, 08:18 AM
Was this the T5 you got from me? I am beginning to wonder if there is a mis-alignment somewhere on installation... that could certainly cause breakage. Taylor, there is no reason your setup should be going through T5's that easily. Your car is not that powerful and not that heavy.

As for the knocking sound...There might be a chance the pressure plate is contacting the inside of the bellhousing. The SPEC's are a little bigger and I've seen about 5 of them (out of thousands) that were slightly contacting the bellhousing inside (aluminum casting flash). If that's what's happening, the simple fix is to just grind a little bit of the bellhousing where the contact is made (it will leave a witness mark). Clearance it and it will be fine.

My Spec hit on my bellhousing. Simple to fix that problem though.

tayzoid1
09-22-2008, 08:57 AM
no it was in my new car i got from ujslst i figgured if i drove it anytime it was going to happen it is a four banger t-5 in a carbed 302 that is puttin out some torque

tayzoid1
09-22-2008, 09:01 AM
Where have you been getting your T5s from? What car are you getting rid of and what exactly are you buying?

i have been getting them from diffent places none of them have been new but all have been in decent shape they have just broke premature. i am getting rid of my black 91 vert so i can fix this one and i am probably just going to buy the astro perf. t-5 that bandit posted up for 650 off the astro perf. site

tayzoid1
09-22-2008, 09:11 AM
ok so i just read the info on the astro perf. t-5 for 650$ and it says rated for 350 hp and 230torque that is weaker than a factory t-5 according to lee h's post im really not sure what to do cause i dont want to be just breakin this one too and i really dont feel like puttin out 2 grand for for an a-5. there has got to be a good t-5 somwhere that can handle some bolt on power ive never heard of these thing breaking like this

QWKSNKE
09-22-2008, 04:34 PM
As long as you are running t-5's and banging 3rd its going to break. Trust me, I have broke many of them.
Especially so with a 4cyl t-5. The torque rating is a lot lower than a v-8 t-5. 3rd gear is the weakest link in a t-5. Beat on them much with a good clutch and it will strip all the teeth off the gear.

QWKSNKE
09-22-2008, 04:38 PM

Power doesn't kill them. Shifting the sh** out of them does

LeeH
09-22-2008, 07:42 PM
Power doesn't kill them. Shifting the sh** out of them does

Shock loading the gears causes them to fail, The fatal flaw of the T5 is lack of tooth engagement.

tayzoid1
09-22-2008, 08:56 PM
so basiclly if i go to the track get ready to put a tranny in, if i am going to be shifting like i should. i guess i am just gonna have to do a tko swap, but will the 600 solve the problem? i just dont know much about them

QWKSNKE
09-22-2008, 09:00 PM
so basiclly if i go to the track get ready to put a tranny in, if i am going to be shifting like i should. i guess i am just gonna have to do a tko swap, but will the 600 solve the problem? i just dont know much about them

yes. it can take waaaaaaaaaay more abuse

LeeH
09-22-2008, 09:50 PM
Taylor, there is no reason your setup should be going through T5's that easily. Your car is not that powerful and not that heavy.

Exactly!!

rtusnake
09-22-2008, 09:53 PM
I have something even better than that. A t56 with driveshaft. $1500

BAD INT
09-22-2008, 09:56 PM
cryo the t-5 gears for a little more life but if you want it to last, better go tremmec or slap a glide in

BAD INT
09-22-2008, 09:57 PM
I have something even better than that. A t56 with driveshaft. $1500
your gonna give him $1500 to take the t56 and drive shaft wow

rtusnake
09-22-2008, 10:06 PM
I'm a nice guy. What can I say

LeeH
09-22-2008, 10:23 PM
here is a cheaper idea, an old Doug Nash/Richmond 5 speed

tayzoid1
09-23-2008, 11:49 AM
what would i have to chang to put in that t-56 and its a six speed right?

TheJeanyus
09-23-2008, 11:58 AM
its a six speed right?
Yep, it's the 6 speed used in '03 Cobras, Corvettes, Vipers, etc.

SlowJoe
09-23-2008, 02:12 PM
aakate has a complete setup. alum fly wheel,spec 3, a tko or 3550 not sure which one yet,drive shaft,cable,adj fire wall setup and all. he is going c4. setup has maybe 500 miles on it. shoot him a pm he will give u a deal.

rtusnake
09-23-2008, 02:57 PM
I know you would need at least a different bellhousing and crossmember

tayzoid1
09-23-2008, 03:06 PM
would my mid pipe work w/ that setup and which would be stronger tko or t-56 also i would like to just buy everything so i wont be runnin back and forth to oreileys and risk getting in the middle of the install and the parts house have to order something,becouse if i do it at grovers which is the only place i can get that will let me use their stuff to do the install, i have to get it compleated that day. becaous they are open mondasy throught friday and i dont think i can leave ith there the whole weekend.

TheJeanyus
09-23-2008, 03:32 PM
which would be stronger tko or t-56
I don't know much about TKO's, but I know there are plenty of 800+ rwhp Cobras out there with the T-56 still in tact. Nothing more than a 26 spline input shaft upgrade. There are some TT Vipers out there making insane numbers, like 1200+ hp, running T-56's with a few internal upgrades.

tayzoid1
09-23-2008, 03:36 PM
would anybody know where and how much i could get the bellhousing and cross member from and how much. used would be great. and would i have to get a new clutch too im not sure what spline the t-56 is. i dont know wether im getting in over my head for this swap, im really not worried about a speedo i can fix that later, not worried about back up light. so hopefully there wont be any wiring issues.

so from what i have read on a couple of diffrent sites i have to get a bellhousing a cross meber that is moved rearward and a driveshaft and something about a engine plate and something that sandwiches between the bellhousing and the tranny ijm not sure what its called if anyone has ever dont this before pleas let me know i have alot of questions. i have also been wondering if the sifter lines up right in the car i really dont want to go hacking up my car. some say its a easy swap some say is rather difficult. im just not sure what to think of yet

QWKSNKE
09-23-2008, 05:10 PM
would anybody know where and how much i could get the bellhousing and cross member from and how much. used would be great. and would i have to get a new clutch too im not sure what spline the t-56 is. i dont know wether im getting in over my head for this swap, im really not worried about a speedo i can fix that later, not worried about back up light. so hopefully there wont be any wiring issues.

so from what i have read on a couple of diffrent sites i have to get a bellhousing a cross meber that is moved rearward and a driveshaft and something about a engine plate and something that sandwiches between the bellhousing and the tranny ijm not sure what its called if anyone has ever dont this before pleas let me know i have alot of questions. i have also been wondering if the sifter lines up right in the car i really dont want to go hacking up my car. some say its a easy swap some say is rather difficult. im just not sure what to think of yet

If I were in your shoes, I would not do a 6-speed swap.
Find you a tko 500 or 600 (or an old tko 3550)
Matt works at O'rielly's and can get you a tko 600 with bellhousing cheaper than a t-56

SlowJoe
09-23-2008, 05:32 PM
If I were in your shoes, I would not do a 6-speed swap.
Find you a tko 500 or 600 (or an old tko 3550)
Matt works at O'rielly's and can get you a tko 600 with bellhousing cheaper than a t-56

aakate has complete setup only thing you will need is fluid. not sure which one it is yet because its still in the car.

aakate
09-23-2008, 07:21 PM
(Thanks joecoupe,) Yea if your intrested in it, I'll let it go, Everything comes with it, even custom length steel drive shaft if you need it. Fixn post up for sale in few days

tayzoid1
09-23-2008, 09:14 PM
how much you want for it cause as much as i would like to have the six speed it does seem like a complicated install and hard to find ALL the parts to it and likie i said i hte getting into a project and then having to go to the parts house 50 times during an install just lew me know what you want to do because i was probably going to go trough matt.

tayzoid1
09-23-2008, 09:15 PM
ohh and matt are the tko new or rebuilt, also are you ordering through oreilly's i didnt know oreileys did that exspecially that cheap

aakate
09-24-2008, 01:42 PM
The one that i have is the old style(two front bolt holes closer together than back four on shifter). I bought it and ran it for a year then pulled it out and had new synchros put in alone with new 2nd and 3rd gear(which were still good but i wanted it to be a completely fresh tranny plus the norm bearing seals etc. A month later the stock motor decided to stack the mains so it all came back out for a change. Since then It has probably had 500 or less miles put on it and maybe 6 or 8 passes at track. I am converting to a c4. I'll probably let everything go for 1750, I have way more than that invested. Everything includes:

-arp flywheel bolts
-fidanza steel flywheel w/50oz and 28oz weights
-spec stage 3 clutch and pressure plate and thro out bearing
-even throw in block plate
-3550 tremec
-bell housing
-fork and cover
-pro 5.0 shifter and shorty handle
-got 2 big cables
-cluth quadrant(not sure what brand,its 3 way i think)and firewall adjuster
-poly mount
-custom built and balanced steel drive shaft
-will even leave the ends on drive shaft w/new ujoints
( i think thats everything if theres something else for complete install it goes too)

banditmwp
09-24-2008, 02:18 PM
ohh and matt are the tko new or rebuilt, also are you ordering through oreilly's i didnt know oreileys did that exspecially that cheap

reman, not through o'reilly. according to us, we don't sell manual transmissions. :D

tayzoid1
09-24-2008, 02:55 PM
w/ can hold more power tko or the 3550 i dont know the diffrences between the two w/ is smoother shifting, w/ is stronger ,ect.
thanks
taylor

SlowJoe
09-24-2008, 03:26 PM
w/ can hold more power tko or the 3550 i dont know the diffrences between the two w/ is smoother shifting, w/ is stronger ,ect.
thanks
taylor

i think the 3550 is the same as a tko 500. and the shifting on his 3550 is smooth to me.

LeeH
09-24-2008, 04:15 PM
i think the 3550 is the same as a tko 500. and the shifting on his 3550 is smooth to me.

There are quite a few differences between the TKO500 and the 3550 but they both will handle close to the same power with the TKO500 taking a little more. The most common failures in the 3550 are twisted/broken main shaft and input shaft(takes alot of power and good traction to hurt one), Other than that they are pretty tough transmissions.

waypastcrazy
09-24-2008, 06:25 PM
I can vouche for all aakate setup. He don't do cheap when it comes to his cobra his setup is sweet. I have drove it on several occassions and it performs flawless.u would not be disapointed with it. Clyde

tayzoid1
09-24-2008, 06:47 PM
but would i be better off buying a reman from bandit he said he had the whole kit for right at 1000$ but i just need toi know what is better the whole kit 3550 for 1500 or the tko600 for right at 1000 im kinda confused right now

SlowJoe
09-24-2008, 06:54 PM
but would i be better off buying a reman from bandit he said he had the whole kit for right at 1000$ but i just need toi know what is better the whole kit 3550 for 1500 or the tko600 for right at 1000 im kinda confused right now

he can get the whole tko 600 kit for a 1000? what is included in his kit?

waypastcrazy
09-24-2008, 07:03 PM
but would i be better off buying a reman from bandit he said he had the whole kit for right at 1000$ but i just need toi know what is better the whole kit 3550 for 1500 or the tko600 for right at 1000 im kinda confused right nowput it on paper. Price the fidanza flywheel spec clutch. 50 shifter. Cable. Firewall adj and alum qaudrant. Poly mount driveshaft etc then see what ur actual tranny cost is lol good luck

QWKSNKE
09-24-2008, 07:17 PM
he can get the whole tko 600 kit for a 1000? what is included in his kit?

tranny, bell housing, cross member, yoke, and possibly a clutch disc swap

SlowJoe
09-24-2008, 07:20 PM
tranny, bell housing, cross member, yoke, and possibly a clutch disc swap

that price is going to be hard to beat for tko 600! no shifter? can he get 1 with a 4.6 bell for this price?:D who is rebuilding them?

QWKSNKE
09-25-2008, 06:17 AM
comes with the stock tko shifter
i don't know the name of the retailer he goes through. i wished he would have found about them when I still had my cobra though

banditmwp
09-26-2008, 06:55 PM
sorry, had intArweb diarrhea the last few days.

the kit as priced includes runs about $900 plus shipping (~$100), have to buy a clutch, don't know about the 4.6 bellhousing (shouldn't be a problem)

my kit came with:

trans
housing
yoke
shifter base (no handle)

this is reman trans and you can tell it, but they did a hell of a job on mine. I don't know the specifics of the place I got it from, one of my suppliers told me about him and I ordered from them. It shipped from Michigan, FWIW. it had a 30 day warranty on it and I haven't had a problem.