PDA

View Full Version : clutch cable

SlowJoe
10-07-2008, 02:10 PM
when i loosen the cable to where the TOB is not riding on the P/P i can not get it in gear. and when i tighten it up to where the the clutch releases close to the top like i like it the TOB is squalling and the cable just fills to tight. is there a way to get more pull on the cable with less peddle movement? i got the clutch Quadrant off my t bird that i order for a fox stang. could something be different there?

86GTPONY
10-07-2008, 02:50 PM
If I'm not mistaken, most of the after-market clutch quadrants have at least one "pickup" or "hook" spot on them. Try another hook and see if that helps.

SlowJoe
10-07-2008, 03:23 PM
i have been through that already. mine has 3 hooks. and it is on the one closest to the driver now.

SlowJoe
10-07-2008, 05:06 PM
could adjusting the pivot ball help?

banditmwp
10-07-2008, 05:28 PM
If you're going to pull the tranny to adjust the ball stud, at least put a $30 TOB in there.

SlowJoe
10-07-2008, 05:48 PM
If you're going to pull the tranny to adjust the ball stud, at least put a $30 TOB in there.

this one is new.

coupe
10-07-2008, 06:18 PM
you do NOT want the bearing/fork putting pressure on the clutch until you actually push with the pedal. The SPEC should release up a little higher anyway... maybe fork is bending? twisting? bad cable? ?

SlowJoe
10-07-2008, 06:27 PM
you do NOT want the bearing/fork putting pressure on the clutch until you actually push with the pedal. The SPEC should release up a little higher anyway... maybe fork is bending? twisting? bad cable? ?

thats what i dont get. if i set it to where it does not have pressure on the clutch it does not have enough movement in clutch peddle to release the clutch. it has new clutch cable.

rtusnake
10-07-2008, 09:15 PM
What happens when you move the cable to the other hooks on the quadrant?

coupe
10-07-2008, 09:56 PM
thats what i dont get. if i set it to where it does not have pressure on the clutch it does not have enough movement in clutch peddle to release the clutch. it has new clutch cable.

mustang should have plenty. I had that problem on an 02 and it was the damn fork. For some reason, the fork was flexing similar to a stretch cable. Sucked to throw everything at it and then a $40 fork finally fixed it. :shrug:

The SPEC actually shouldn't take quite as much throw, so it should be fine. Something else is not working right.

banditmwp
10-08-2008, 04:59 AM
mustang should have plenty. I had that problem on an 02 and it was the damn fork. For some reason, the fork was flexing similar to a stretch cable. Sucked to throw everything at it and then a $40 fork finally fixed it. :shrug:

The SPEC actually shouldn't take quite as much throw, so it should be fine. Something else is not working right.

damn. $40? You paid too much :D

SlowJoe
10-08-2008, 06:38 AM
What happens when you move the cable to the other hooks on the quadrant?

i run out of adjustment on the firewall.

coupe
10-08-2008, 07:28 AM
damn. $40? You paid too much :D
I didn't pay for it, the customer did. He bought it from the Ford dealer.

SlowJoe
10-08-2008, 09:48 AM
what does uneven p/p fingers mean?

Jables
10-08-2008, 10:50 AM
Was it bolted in evenly and all bolts torqued to appropriate #'s? Or is this out of the car sitting on a bench?

SlowJoe
10-08-2008, 11:34 AM
Was it bolted in evenly and all bolts torqued to appropriate #'s? Or is this out of the car sitting on a bench?

when i bolted it back in they where all even. and they was tq the same. and now shining a light in there it looks like half are lower then the other half.