PDA

View Full Version : 3G Alternator Upgrade

Sendero
10-29-2008, 12:48 PM
Where did you guys get your alternators and who makes good kits? Instructions?

ncontt
10-29-2008, 03:27 PM
I got mine from click me (http://www.pa-performance.com/Scripts/default.asp) granted it was a bit extra to have it powdercoated black.

There's really not much to it. You have to "notch" the alt. bracket (stock) to make it fit but it takes about 5 mins with a dremel tool or air grinder. you also need to upgrade the wiring to the starter solenoid, again not hard. I have my powdercoated black stock alt. bracket if you are interested (for a fox body).

here is a how to----> how-to (http://www.mustangcentral.net/tech/alternator.html)

EHardy1971
10-29-2008, 04:02 PM
I got mine from the junkyard out of a '98 V-6 'stang.The 3.8 T-birds/Cougars have them along with the SN95's, and the Taurus,the only thing about the Taurus ones is you have to re-clock the housing halves to get the connections in the right place.

There's really not much to it. You have to "notch" the alt. bracket (stock) to make it fit but it takes about 5 mins with a dremel tool or air grinder. you also need to upgrade the wiring to the starter solenoid, again not hard.

:yup: And he'll need a different upper mounting bolt,or nut and bolt (like I did on mine),and IIRC,a different length lower bolt as well.

ncontt
10-29-2008, 05:24 PM
Eric, you are correct sir....forgot about that minor issue....I did this to one of my foxbodies way back in early 2000 as I recall so they weren't as easily accessible as they are now. At any rate you can usually find them pretty cheap.

Italian LX
10-30-2008, 12:07 PM
http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=75

:nice:

Sendero
10-30-2008, 12:53 PM
Where did you guys send the charge cable; directly to the battery or to the positive side of the starter?

EHardy1971
10-30-2008, 01:43 PM
Where did you guys send the charge cable; directly to the battery or to the positive side of the starter?
On the positive or "hot" side of the solenoid where the battery cable connects at.

ncontt
10-30-2008, 01:44 PM
mine goes to the pos. side of the solenoid with a 150amp inline fuse (fuses and holders can be found at stereo shops, marine suppliers, etc) I spliced into the other little white wire (?) for the small plug on the back of the alt. AND I left the stock fox body plug (big one) on there incase anything ever happens and I need to slap my stocker back on there to make it from here to there or whatever.

HTH

Italian LX
10-31-2008, 07:56 AM
I have an Optima battery, so I just added a side post and ran it to there.

As with ncontt, I too used an inline fuse (it came with the kit I got from Ryan).

qkjuicedpony
11-01-2008, 08:06 AM
My 3g Upgrade was really kind of simple.

It came on the car from the factory:D

CrimsonGT
11-29-2008, 05:48 AM
I got mine from the junkyard out of a '98 V-6 'stang.The 3.8 T-birds/Cougars have them along with the SN95's, and the Taurus,the only thing about the Taurus ones is you have to re-clock the housing halves to get the connections in the right place.

:yup: And he'll need a different upper mounting bolt,or nut and bolt (like I did on mine),and IIRC,a different length lower bolt as well.

same here I used an alternator out of a 95 v6 mustang and had to change the bolt.