PDA

View Full Version : Too close for comfort!

86GTPONY
11-01-2008, 12:57 PM
I sarted noticing a vibration in the motor and an oil leak about 3 weeks ago. The oil was leaking from the front main seal. I was kinda pissed, since I just replaced it when I did my head and cam swap. One thing I didn't replace was the harmonic balancer. Well, I said screw it and bought another front main seal and a new balancer. I just got the old one off and noticed it is sitting cock-eyed! If you look at the crappy pic I took you'll notice towards the right it is off by about 1/8th inch and the rubber is falling apart. I'm glad I got to this now, 'cause I'm gonna get it dyno'd in about 2 weeks. Close call!!!

EHardy1971
11-01-2008, 01:29 PM
Yeah,that could've been bad!

BAD INT
11-01-2008, 03:12 PM
good catch and common,I have had a couple balancers key way slot open up quite a bit.I dont know if the metal just got soft or what but a half inch key way slot is a BAD.

86GTPONY
11-01-2008, 03:27 PM
Well, I can be thankful that the crank and key look 100%!!! I have only put a few hundred miles on it since I did my swap, so I don't know if I just missed it, or it was starting to come apart fast. Either way it's scary to think what could have happened if it let loose on a dyno!

banditmwp
11-01-2008, 08:30 PM
balancers are so cheap now, I replace mine whenever the timing cover comes off...

LeeH
11-01-2008, 10:15 PM
Buy a good balancer and forget about it, The OEM replacements are junk. ATI or a BHJ

BAD INT
11-01-2008, 11:08 PM
Buy a good balancer and forget about it, The OEM replacements are junk. ATI or a BHJ

I'll take a BHJ

LeeH
11-01-2008, 11:22 PM
I'll take a BHJ

Me too.:chug:

waypastcrazy
11-02-2008, 07:25 AM
Me too.:chug:i run a romac.but i am a odd ball!

86GTPONY
11-02-2008, 08:20 AM
Well, I just paid an ass load of bills so with the limited funds and the need to get her back on the road, I got an FRPP for $68. The construction looks like the factory, but it looks like they used polyurethane instead of rubber. I'm sure it'll hold 'till I get something better.

waypastcrazy
11-02-2008, 03:32 PM
Well, I just paid an ass load of bills so with the limited funds and the need to get her back on the road, I got an FRPP for $68. The construction looks like the factory, but it looks like they used polyurethane instead of rubber. I'm sure it'll hold 'till I get something better.i am sure it will be fine for your application. i have used stockers for 6500 on the spray with no issues.good luck on ur car i sure am glad u caught it!

LeeH
11-02-2008, 03:52 PM
i am sure it will be fine for your application. i have used stockers for 6500 on the spray with no issues.good luck on ur car i sure am glad u caught it!

:eek:

Man I have killed several of the stock 50oz balancers on stock engines, 2 of them slung the inertia rings off and one spun on the elastomer about 40*. All of the 50oz OEM balancers are junk, The early OEM 28oz balancers are not as bad but but I have also broke one of those in the key way on a 351w.

waypastcrazy
11-02-2008, 06:38 PM
:eek:

Man I have killed several of the stock 50oz balancers on stock engines, 2 of them slung the inertia rings off and one spun on the elastomer about 40*. All of the 50oz OEM balancers are junk, The early OEM 28oz balancers are not as bad but but I have also broke one of those in the key way on a 351w.well i am sure they will but he said he already bought one and will run it till he can afford one. dont get ur panties in a wad cause i hadnt broke one yet!lmao:baby:

LeeH
11-02-2008, 07:11 PM
well i am sure they will but he said he already bought one and will run it till he can afford one. dont get ur panties in a wad cause i hadnt broke one yet!lmao:baby:

LOL, I am not pissed or upset by any means. I don't get wound up too easily, All I was saying is you have lived on the edge running a stock balancer and spinning it that hard. Also it was meant as a warning to others that may run one in any kind of performance application, They will fail and will sometimes kill the crank in the process. I think Dale has seen one of my dead balancers, It was the one off of my 95.

86GTPONY
11-02-2008, 07:17 PM
This balancer is the original to the car and I have about 220K miles on it. I have been pretty abusive, so I guess it lived a good life. I'm sure the FRPP unit is better than stock, but it's something I will keep my eye on for sure!

waypastcrazy
11-03-2008, 07:52 AM
LOL, I am not pissed or upset by any means. I don't get wound up too easily, All I was saying is you have lived on the edge running a stock balancer and spinning it that hard. Also it was meant as a warning to others that may run one in any kind of performance application, They will fail and will sometimes kill the crank in the process. I think Dale has seen one of my dead balancers, It was the one off of my 95.gotcha! i agree with you lee h i just havin some fun!!