PDA

View Full Version : Swaping back to blowthru MAF

Wall96cobra
03-10-2005, 04:39 PM
Well since I've had my car back I haven't been real happy with the drivability. I switched to a 90mm LMAF with maf extender and the car has been stalling alot when I come to a stop. I just bought a univer cal'd for 55's so I'll be installing it soon along with removing the power pipe and installing a filter screen in it's place. Not only the drivability but the maf hangs WAY too low so if I got caught in heavy rain it wouldn't be nice. I know not everyone agrees but I just think cars with intercoolers need blowthru MAFs, with a drawthru in an intercooled car there is much bigger possibility of letting unmetered air in which could be bad. Anyway I will keep everyone informed on the results :chug:

Wicked
03-10-2005, 04:46 PM
Well since I've had my car back I haven't been real happy with the drivability. I switched to a 90mm LMAF with maf extender and the car has been stalling alot when I come to a stop. I just bought a univer cal'd for 55's so I'll be installing it soon along with removing the power pipe and installing a filter screen in it's place. Not only the drivability but the maf hangs WAY too low so if I got caught in heavy rain it wouldn't be nice. I know not everyone agrees but I just think cars with intercoolers need blowthru MAFs, with a drawthru in an intercooled car there is much bigger possibility of letting unmetered air in which could be bad. Anyway I will keep everyone informed on the results :chug:

Yeah, the problem is the 15 ft of tubing between the maf and the tb.

I still think its strange you were advised to go to a draw-thru.

Good luck with going back to a blow thru and the retune.

What did the car run at Steele?

QWKSNKE
03-10-2005, 05:00 PM
14.0 @ 150 mph. :D

:jester: it was a low 14@112 or 115mph. He had a slight traction issue

Scothew
03-10-2005, 05:18 PM
hmm I think wall needs to put my slicks on the back :jester:

Jonathan, I think its wise to go back to the univer. I wasnt sure why you were going to draw through.

QWKSNKE
03-10-2005, 05:27 PM
Tim prefers to tune draw thru cars

rtusnake
03-10-2005, 05:34 PM
hey wicked don't you work at honda? i believe i may have saw your car at the gas station a sometime last week, or another silver vert cobra.

jonathan don't you have a accufab tb? i do to and my car stalls every now and then and i think its cause of that.

Wicked
03-10-2005, 05:35 PM
:deadhrse: Is that why Dave never ran 10's before the Kenne Bell?

:jester:

QWKSNKE
03-10-2005, 05:42 PM
:deadhrse: Is that why Dave never ran 10's before the Kenne Bell?

:think:

Wall96cobra
03-10-2005, 05:47 PM
hey wicked don't you work at honda? i believe i may have saw your car at the gas station a sometime last week, or another silver vert cobra.

jonathan don't you have a accufab tb? i do to and my car stalls every now and then and i think its cause of that.

Yeah Michael I have the accufab TB also but I ran the car with it during the breakin period before it was tuned and it never went dead on me one time. Now my car stalls pretty often, when I come to a stop the idle will surge like it's trying to "hunt" then it goes dead sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. Some of it may be the maf extender since it decreases your range of low RPM voltage but I'm not sure.

Wicked
03-10-2005, 07:04 PM
:think:

:shrug:

Yeah, I sure do work at Honda. I got gas at the shell the other day. :wave:

QWKSNKE
03-10-2005, 07:31 PM

just slow I guess. Must have missed a joke. What does a blower swap have to do with him running 10's. Dave never got enough seat time to row the gears to a 10 second ride with the Novi.

Sendero
03-10-2005, 07:37 PM
Wall, sounds like you need some money! :smokin:

QWKSNKE
03-10-2005, 07:39 PM
Wall, sounds like you need some money! :smokin:

yeah. Why don't you buy blower setup so he can put twins on it :D

Sendero
03-10-2005, 07:42 PM
yeah. Why don't you buy blower setup so he can put twins on it :D

Negative, but I will buy his wheels. :burnout:

rtusnake
03-10-2005, 07:43 PM

Yeah, I sure do work at Honda. I got gas at the shell the other day. :wave:
yeah guess that was you, i thought it looked like your car but i wasn't sure

EZ SPEED
03-11-2005, 03:26 AM
Jonathon, come over to my desk and let me show you a page in my SCT Pro Racer book about MAF's. Its too much to type

banditmwp
03-11-2005, 05:03 AM
Jonathon, come over to my desk and let me show you a page in my SCT Pro Racer book about MAF's. Its too much to type
:lol: :lol:

:shrug: Struck me as funny. :D

EZ SPEED
03-11-2005, 05:10 AM
:lol: :lol:

:shrug: Struck me as funny. :D

Its because your gay :dancer:

Wicked
03-11-2005, 03:57 PM
just slow I guess. Must have missed a joke. What does a blower swap have to do with him running 10's. Dave never got enough seat time to row the gears to a 10 second ride with the Novi.

Nevermind. It was a :poke: at someone's tuning abilities. I thought the Novi was a blow thru and the Kenne Bell, obviously, was a draw thru.

QWKSNKE
03-11-2005, 10:14 PM
nahh. he has always been on a draw through as far as I know

asilver2001gt
03-27-2005, 08:05 AM
Johnathan, my car comes to a stall too. I've learned to decelerate (sp?) before pushing in the clutch. That will prevent the car from dying. I'm not sure if Tim tuned your car, not sure what happend after that whole deal, but he's got a setting where he can keep the rpms up when you push the clutch in that will hold the rpms at 1500 until you come to a compete stop. Just some other options. I've gotten used to my car so I decelerate first and then press in the clutch.

asilver2001gt
03-27-2005, 08:07 AM
Nevermind. It was a :poke: at someone's tuning abilities. I thought the Novi was a blow thru and the Kenne Bell, obviously, was a draw thru.

Unbelievable. This is why I stayed away. Grow up.

Wicked
03-27-2005, 08:56 AM
Unbelievable. This is why I stayed away. Grow up.

Whatever dude. Get a sense of humor.

Jonathan, occasionally if I don't use engine braking and just push in the clutch mine will die as well. I don't think it has to do with either blow thru or draw thru but more with reversion of the air when the throttle closes.

Sendero
03-27-2005, 10:28 AM
I'm not sure if Tim tuned your car, not sure what happend after that whole deal, but he's got a setting where he can keep the rpms up when you push the clutch in that will hold the rpms at 1500 until you come to a compete stop.

In my tuning software thats dashpot_decay_rate. I'm not sure what it is for the SCT software. I was having a "push clutch in while coming to stop" stalling issue with my C&L meter setup. Messing with this setting cleared it up by causing the car to raise its idle while in motion.

TheJeanyus
03-27-2005, 10:30 AM
In my tuning software thats dashpot_decay_rate. I'm not sure what it is for the SCT software. I was having a "push clutch in while coming to stop" stalling issue with my C&L meter setup. Messing with this setting cleared it up by causing the car to raise its idle while in motion.
:werd: The '03 Cobras had that problem when they first came out, and Ford retuned them so they hold 1000 rpms or so until they come to a complete stop.

asilver2001gt
03-27-2005, 11:06 AM
Whatever dude. Get a sense of humor.

You sit here in a private forum and knock Tim's tuning abilities and tell me to have a sense of humor about it? If someone is knocking Lee, Johnathan, Brian, etc I would take it personal as well. I'm absolutely fed up with this crap. Just b/c Tim busted your ass a couple months back, you've got these hard feeling towards him? I'm sorry but thats his business that he started from scratch. Making an attack on him or his business is like someone making an attack on your wife and kid. Wouldn't like that too much now would you?

People on this board that know me, know how to get in touch with me. Johnathan, I apologize for ****ing up your thread...delete the post, I just find it hilarious how some people can hold grudges and make smart ass comments about something they know nothing about....Dave has NEVER had a blowthru MAF on his car.

Wicked
03-27-2005, 11:54 AM
:nono:

Notice I used the :poke: smiley?

And Tim didn't bust my ass, he made a fool of himself on this forum by falsely accusing people.

Chill out.

QWKSNKE
03-27-2005, 03:02 PM
that's enough guys. This was suppose to be behind us.

Thread is closed.

Wall96cobra
03-27-2005, 08:08 PM
Let me just say Tim has helped me alot and treated me very good, I'm sure he could fix my drivability problem because I've seen alot of drawtru cars with intercoolers he has tuned that drove great and made alot of power. The truth is for my application I just don't want a drawthru: 1, it put my air filter and maf very low and I will be driving the car in the rain so that may have been a problem: 2, my HKS bypass valve wasn't enough because I still got had some compressor surge, it's too much of a pain to modifiy the power pipe to accept 2 spots for the bypass to recirculate but in a blowthru it won't matter because the bypass valves can be vented to atmosphere. But like I said Tim has been great and willing to help whenever I needed it, he even said he would retune my car for free with the blowthru which is very cool becuase most places would charge for a totally different tune.

QWKSNKE
03-27-2005, 08:58 PM
Let me just say Tim has helped me alot and treated me very good, I'm sure he could fix my drivability problem because I've seen alot of drawtru cars with intercoolers he has tuned that drove great and made alot of power. The truth is for my application I just don't want a drawthru: 1, it put my air filter and maf very low and I will be driving the car in the rain so that may have been a problem: 2, my HKS bypass valve wasn't enough because I still got had some compressor surge, it's too much of a pain to modifiy the power pipe to accept 2 spots for the bypass to recirculate but in a blowthru it won't matter because the bypass valves can be vented to atmosphere. But like I said Tim has been great and willing to help whenever I needed it, he even said he would retune my car for free with the blowthru which is very cool becuase most places would charge for a totally different tune.

Well said Wall.