PDA

View Full Version : How many miles on a 2.3?

Craig K.
11-18-2008, 06:04 AM
Looking at buying a Turbo T-Bird (maybe) it is a 87/88 with a 5-speed.
The car has 180k miles on it.
The current owner had replaced the head (just an OEM replacement with a valve job, etc...) along with the belt, water pump etc... while he was there.

He stated the cylinder walls looked good still had cross hatching marks.
Most of the miles were supposedly highway.

How long can these turbo motors go?
I would like to get atleast 25-30K more out of it (just driving back and fourth to work)

qkjuicedpony
11-18-2008, 06:05 AM
ive got one at home with 460k on it.head has never been off

86GTPONY
11-18-2008, 07:15 AM
The only problem I had with my Turbo Coupe motor was blowing a head gasket, but that was because I was running a lot of boost. I have had a few electrical issues on mine, but nothing major...Every T-C owner I talked to got well over 250K on theirs! How much $$??

Craig K.
11-18-2008, 11:08 AM
The only problem I had with my Turbo Coupe motor was blowing a head gasket, but that was because I was running a lot of boost. I have had a few electrical issues on mine, but nothing major...Every T-C owner I talked to got well over 250K on theirs! How much $$??
Great feedback to hear.

Probably around $2k, but he would like to trade some parts as well.
I am thinking of demodding my '95 Cobra (maybe sell it in the spring) and would be looking at giving him a set of 17x9 chrome Cobra R's, cc plates, springs, h-pipe, pullies and maybe offer around $1k in cash for it.

The bottom of the doors have some rust on the heim flange, and one small spot on the lower firewall to the floor pan on the RH side.
Interior is very nice, seems like everything works fine.

This would be a basic dd for me and a second car for the family (seems like three kids would fit in the back).

coupe
11-18-2008, 03:31 PM
Good engine design. Hard to kill them. And with a little boost controller and K&N cone, you will have a ton of fun even with the stock turbo! About 15psi is all it takes to wake up. Great cars.

Change oil religiously and it will last for many years to come. :nice:

banditmwp
11-18-2008, 05:19 PM
:werd:

One of my employees had one with over 360k on the clock and no major problems, until a lack of maintenance came in.

EHardy1971
11-18-2008, 06:37 PM
Good engine design. Hard to kill them.

:yup: The one that was in my coupe would'nt die,even after the ex-wife ran it hot until it started knocking.The water pump went out,and she drove it practically bone dry for 3 miles before she called me :tlash:. Fixed it,and it was still running smooth as silk when I yanked it out.

SvoBrown
11-18-2008, 07:29 PM
260k before the the rust took over. It was a northern car before I got it. Broke the engine down and it still had the cross marks in the cylinders.
Only weak spot on the car is the fan controller. I love the TC. Best driving car I ever had!!

SlowJoe
11-19-2008, 07:25 PM
260k before the the rust took over. It was a northern car before I got it. Broke the engine down and it still had the cross marks in the cylinders.
Only weak spot on the car is the fan controller. I love the TC. Best driving car I ever had!!

the short block in your svo had 140000 when it left my house. i miss my TC so much! i done cone filter, boost controller,190lph fuel pump,adj fuel reg,3.73 gears and on 18 psi with 26" slicks went 9.15 in the 1/8:metal: i spun a rod bearing in mine but it was my fault and it had like 200000 on it.

Craig K.
11-20-2008, 04:20 PM
Well, not sure if this deal is going to go through now.
He advertised it on auto trader for $2995 (after he was down to $2300 on corral) and has a guy interested in it (supposedly), well see what happens.