PDA

View Full Version : 429 opinions

tayzoid1
11-26-2008, 04:43 PM
a freind is getting a 429 motor nothing really special like acobra or superjet and i was wondering how much it might be worth, the crank is going to be polished and the motor is dissasembled and been that way for a while like ten or so years. he said it ran when dissasembled and he was rebuilding to put in a project car that is long gone by now, i dont know what bbf's are goin for so any help is appriciated

thanks
taylor

EHardy1971
11-26-2008, 05:19 PM
It depends on what he's asking for it,but I can tell you this much,those engines are pretty hard to come by these days. You used to be able to find them pretty easy in some of the junkyards that had a lot of older stuff (Like Joyce's,Elkin's,etc),but most of them have crushed all of that stuff in the past 5 years or so.

tayzoid1
11-26-2008, 05:40 PM
well i just talked to the guy and he said it came out of a older ford ltd. ive heard that ford produced a couple of diffrent 429s and alot of them were in big trucks like dumptrucks,trash trucks, ect and from wht i under stand the big truck motors aint worth much as far as performance applications go cause they are compleatly diffrent motorsa and they cant make alot of power

EHardy1971
11-26-2008, 06:32 PM
They can still make power,it's just that the ones in the trucks were built with different cams,intakes,etc,for more low end torque. The block and rotating assembly are basically the same.

tayzoid1
11-26-2008, 06:36 PM
ohh i didnt know that i thought they were diffrent i stand corrected but the ltd 429 is fine for high perf.applications right?

SlowJoe
11-26-2008, 06:46 PM
ohh i didnt know that i thought they were diffrent i stand corrected but the ltd 429 is fine for high perf.applications right?

yes:metal:

EHardy1971
11-26-2008, 07:17 PM
If it's the 429 police interceptor,it is a performer in it's factory configuration (and worth some money too). They had a slightly longer stroke,and a factory aluminum intake. If it's just a regular 429,you can make some good power with it,but like any engine,that depends on cam selection,heads,and induction.

SlowJoe
11-26-2008, 07:45 PM
i may be wrong but the PIs stroke is the same.

waypastcrazy
11-26-2008, 08:11 PM
If its a pi the heads will be [correction]d2oe the power differences are mainly in head type if it has d3ve heads they are 94 cc chambers and exhaust ports are very restricted and require extensive head porting to make power. The bore and strokes are all same 3.59 stroke and 4.360 bore stock. Also one of power robers is the factory retarded timing set. If it is dove or c8ve heads they wil be. Closed chamberedbut worked will make good power.most 429s had d3ve castings because of the flat top pistons now put a dove head on 429 and ya got bunch more compression. And I could go on all night oh and if it is dooer heads then u have ur self a set of cobrajets snatch em up. Lol

waypastcrazy
11-26-2008, 08:25 PM
Oh and the some of the truck motors had steel cranks and they had better rods football shaped rod bolts lol all blocks from 1971 thru 78 were d1ve and the 79 up were d9s and had deeper cylinder bores for the pistons with longer skirts.and little taller deck height and externally balanced . The pre 79s were internal balanced. The pre 71s like dove blocks had beefier mains. Oh also even the 429s had 460 stamped on block the only way to tell difference if label is gone off valve cover. Is the numbers stamped on crank. Or the 429 don't have a bulge of the front crank throw. Or by measuring stroke lo I think I got that right. Starting the end of a 6 pack

waypastcrazy
11-26-2008, 08:31 PM
Yea if ya ditch the d3ves yea you can make good power unless u port them the proper way. Lmao I love big blocks they are almost equal to good sex! Oh did I say that out loud.

waypastcrazy
11-26-2008, 08:38 PM
To answer ur question d3ve headed about 2 to 300 if doves. 3 to 500 for motor if d2ve headed same. Lol good luck

EHardy1971
11-27-2008, 07:05 AM
Oh and the some of the truck motors had steel cranks

They got the BOSS 429 cranks? :think:

Taylor,read this...

http://www.mustangandfords.com/techarticles/big_block_engine_guide/index.html

tayzoid1
11-27-2008, 08:11 AM
thanks all pickin it up on friday:metal:

QWKSNKE
11-27-2008, 08:50 AM
just an fyi....

Any BBF is ridiculously expensive to buy aftermarket parts for. Heads, intake, etc.

Not to mention the added weight from installing it. If you are thinking of putting this is in a mustang, the frontend will be so heavy it will not drive worth a piss

waypastcrazy
11-27-2008, 02:07 PM
just an fyi....

Any BBF is ridiculously expensive to buy aftermarket parts for. Heads, intake, etc.

Not to mention the added weight from installing it. If you are thinking of putting this is in a mustang, the frontend will be so heavy it will not drive worth a pissI disagree with little shopn around the bb parts are not that much different than buildn a well prepped small block. If ya build both for same power capabilities the cost is closer than ya think because it takes less parts in bb to get same durability and power the aftermarket and used parts is a lot more bb friendly than it was say 10 yrs back. As far as weight if ya do all the build right. Lighter pistons. Rods. C4 tranny aluminum heads. Tub k member. Stuff like that. You start getting pretty close to 351w weight. But yes if ya put it all in stock trim it will be nose heavy
Lol a lot of different opinions and rtes to take on either. Think about 80 lbs just by putting aluminum heads on it. And out of the box tfs streets will make 6 to 650 hp on a fairly stock shortblock with right cam intake carb and headers.
Plus a good stroker kit can be had for around 1400 and make gobs more power if its straight line racing bb are good if road racing and corner carving go small. Lol

waypastcrazy
11-27-2008, 08:44 PM
Let me correct myself beings I am straight today. The d2ve suck they have no quench pad. The d2oe are the pi. Sorry for the miss info. Good luck