PDA

View Full Version : carb trouble

tayzoid1
01-09-2009, 10:36 PM
ok having carb trouble again i have tracked it down to the rear needle valve i get on the car till redline the the secondaries start pouring gas i take off the rear bowl spray with carb cleaner put it back to gether runs great allday long until i get on the throttle good then it starts pouring again and the car dies, the needle looks fine and the needle seat looks fine what should i do?

SlowJoe
01-10-2009, 05:45 AM
Evan if it looks good i would put a new one in it.

EHardy1971
01-10-2009, 07:55 AM
Evan if it looks good i would put a new one in it.
:stupid:It could have a small burr on it somewhere that you can't see.

tayzoid1
01-10-2009, 01:29 PM
the only thing that i have against putting a new one in is the amount of fuel coming out of the vent tube it is literally shooting out and i have turned the fuel press way down from what it was i cant imagine a small bur causing this much fuel to leak the only other thing i can think of is the float aint floatin but then it would leak all the time not just when i get the motor above 4k

SlowJoe
01-10-2009, 01:37 PM
the only thing that i have against putting a new one in is the amount of fuel coming out of the vent tube it is literally shooting out and i have turned the fuel press way down from what it was i cant imagine a small bur causing this much fuel to leak the only other thing i can think of is the float aint floatin but then it would leak all the time not just when i get the motor above 4k a sticking needle will spray fuel out bad!

waypastcrazy
01-10-2009, 02:00 PM
Because that's when the secondaries are coming in around 4k its needle sticking or float hanging onsomething

waypastcrazy
01-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Once they open and float drops to open seat to let fuel back in and level comes back up the bur can keep the seat from shuttn fuel off and the bowl will overfill at what ever the fuel pressure is. What carb is this?

tayzoid1
01-10-2009, 05:18 PM
it is a holly i havent looked close enough to know what model it is and no orileys carries the needle valve nor bolts that will fit the bowls cause i broke one today at oreileys parkinglot

waypastcrazy
01-10-2009, 05:27 PM
Its prob a 650 vacumm secondary with side hung floats.or is it center hung either way I am surprised they didn't have a needle seat. Maybe advance auto or autozone?will prob half to find a bolt from a used carb. I have what ya need but I am in odessa tx right now. Good luck

waypastcrazy
01-10-2009, 05:36 PM
Make sure u use holley brand parts all others will not last long especially needle seats.inferior qaulity.if oreilys didn't have it then its prob side hung needle and seat which u can only get in a kit most of the time. Lol I have tons of them. I am just not at home right now. Post us a pic. So we can help you better.

QWKSNKE
01-10-2009, 09:20 PM
I have what ya need but I am in odessa tx right now.

You are not far from my old cobra's new home. Dale McPeters lives in Midland, Tx

waypastcrazy
01-10-2009, 10:23 PM
You are not far from my old cobra's new home. Dale McPeters lives in Midland, TxI saw quiet a few nice stangs headed that way today I think they were having a car show or something over that way!small world isn't it.

tayzoid1
01-10-2009, 11:09 PM
it is actually center hung floats and no one from any oreily's around here even co8uld look up the part i realy dont know why but they all told me that no one had them in stock so i just ordered one from summit racing to day i ordered the only one that resembled my part so i ordered it and hopefully it will be right

86nu
01-11-2009, 05:39 PM
thats because most dont realize they have a holley book that isnt in the computer. Its amazing how easy that job was when I ran an oreilly and a napa. They hire almost anyone now and tell them to go at it. Oreilly should have had a holley center hung float in stock down by the accell and other wanna be go fast parts

tayzoid1
01-11-2009, 08:23 PM
i have also looked at all the parts houses near the accel/mr gasket/msd stuff also near the build it yourself intakes and oher things and they dont have them not a single one not the floats needles seat nothing so i had to order one from summit i also found out today that the floats that are in my carb have a habit of failing and soaking up gas i have the black plastic foamy one i cant remember what the name of the material is but i am trying to order this also and dont know if i have the right one but i will be hopefully ordering tommorow and know the holley book you talking about and the oreily guy said it was stolen, i asjed him if i could see it then found this out

tayzoid1
01-11-2009, 11:38 PM
i am sorry they ar not center hung they are side hung my appologies i have looked up the number on the carb and it matched to a 4160 style carb so now i just have to find the flaot and i should be good, hopefully

waypastcrazy
01-12-2009, 06:20 AM
If the float is gettn gas in it there should still be gas inside of it.

tayzoid1
01-12-2009, 08:33 AM
umm not really sure how to tell i dont think these are hollow floats i could be wrong but they dont feel hollow the feel more like a hard covered foam ill have to look up what they are called but i was looking at common problems with holleys and the float becoming saturated with gas was one of the problems and everything else seems fine i can take the bottom bolt out of the bowl drain the gas put the bolt back in fired right up and run for 2more hours then i have to repeat

86nu
01-12-2009, 05:29 PM
nitrile or something like that is what yours are made of if they arent brass.

I bet if you find an older guy who has a shop around town he will have some floats laying around. Either way you can order them

tayzoid1
01-12-2009, 05:58 PM
yea i belive the name is something like that and i will check around town and see cause this stuff happining after the car has been driving around for an hour or so kinda points to the float slowly soaking up fuel

waypastcrazy
01-12-2009, 06:42 PM
All I can say is if u know what's wrong with it fix it!good luuuck!

waypastcrazy
01-12-2009, 07:16 PM
Just messn with ya. Yea it can be the float.lol but just draining the bowl does not seem like the float would empty or dry out that quick.but anything is possible.with cars I learn new things all the time. This must be a newer carb cause most all the side hung floats I have seen are hollow.most of the nitride floats are supposed to eliminate the flooding over effect because of boiency guess I spelled that right. But I don't know you will just half to change it and see.

tayzoid1
01-12-2009, 07:19 PM
i am hoping i have fixed it, learned you never say the problem is fixed because then it will just start happeneing over and over like this thing is doin now

tayzoid1
01-12-2009, 07:21 PM
ohh and way past crazy it is a 4160 style holley i was thinking wrong when i said center hung floats they are side hung lol im retarded

waypastcrazy
01-12-2009, 07:30 PM
Hope ya got it fixed to.

tayzoid1
01-12-2009, 07:37 PM
still waiting to see i have to get in my parts to see if it was the float or the needle valve i think i saw where you had some carb parts eairlier in this thread you dont happened to have a float that is good that would fit a holley 4160

waypastcrazy
01-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Yes I do have several. Don't know when I will be home tho. I am in shreveport louisiana right now. Maybe I will head home tomorrow

tayzoid1
01-12-2009, 08:01 PM
give me a call at 2563434447 anytime after 1500 mil time

EHardy1971
01-12-2009, 09:21 PM
Taylor,who up there told you that Holley book was stolen? All the aftermarket parts catalogs are on the counter in the back room,and I swear I saw that carb catalog back there the other day!:think:

tayzoid1
01-13-2009, 05:20 AM
it was at the oreiley by top of the river and i belive the guys name is rick german/yankee guy, he has always helped me everytime i have been in there and he seems like an ok guy

EHardy1971
01-13-2009, 08:33 PM
it was at the oreiley by top of the river and i belive the guys name is rick german/yankee guy, he has always helped me everytime i have been in there and he seems like an ok guy

Ya' know when Bandit sees this,you're going to catch it!:jester:

tayzoid1
01-13-2009, 10:01 PM
hey i live in lenlock i cant always drive to anniston with a car spittin duel out the tailpipes lol but i think ive got it fixed now i threw on my buddies holley 750 double pumper on today and man did it wake things up the mechanical secondaries seem like they mad a diffrence

86nu
01-14-2009, 02:15 PM
Taylor,who up there told you that Holley book was stolen? All the aftermarket parts catalogs are on the counter in the back room,and I swear I saw that carb catalog back there the other day!:think:

they are usually in a big heavy metal rack with 30 other after market catalogs.

Like I said, if its not in the computer, your probably ****ed

tayzoid1
01-14-2009, 03:06 PM
ya ive looked through the one in the oxford store but the guy said he thinks someone stole it