PDA

View Full Version : wanting better 60'

Blown89
02-03-2009, 06:38 PM
My car has 90/10 coilover struts with 175# springs full upr front end and upr pro series rear with anti rollbar no bushing all rod ends. I'm running a 306 with a holley 174 supercharger and a small shot of nos for an intercooler trans is a C4 with a ultimate converter with a stall of 2200 that feeds a 8.8 with a detroit locker with a 3.55 gear running 275/60/15 mt dr mounted on 10 wide welds . Leaving easy and not spraying till 3800 the car runs in the 6.30-6.40 eight mile at 109mph with a 60' in the 1.45 range. pinion angle is set at 1 degree down any more and i get bad vibration during decel.

Now for the problem whenever you leave hard (spray at 2200) the car will leave pull the front wheels and as long as they don't get any higher than a six inches off the ground it hooks any higher it blows the tires away (not just spin) the fact that it will leave and make it out thirty foot then blow the tires free has me puzzled.

Would an adjustable pinion snubber help the car don't have one?

qkjuicedpony
02-03-2009, 06:51 PM
Try to ad a degree or two of pinion angle and change the front springs to 150lb springs

Blown89
02-03-2009, 07:00 PM
Try to ad a degree or two of pinion angle and change the front springs to 150lb springs

I had 150# springs in front and car rode really rough . Jasper and alot of places we go to run is a long way to deal with the vibration when i add pinion angle, I'll have to try and change it while I'm at the track and see if it will help.

qkjuicedpony
02-03-2009, 07:09 PM
I had 150# springs in front and car rode really rough . Jasper and alot of places we go to run is a long way to deal with the vibration when i add pinion angle, I'll have to try and change it while I'm at the track and see if it will help.

Try and adjust it at the track.I have -4 degrees in my car and it 60's 1.34-1.36 consistent

militarymustang88gt
02-03-2009, 07:47 PM
i would try a little bit bigger stall so it is up in the power band then start spraying a little higher. see how that works and maybe let a little air out of the tires.

coupe
02-03-2009, 09:40 PM
i would try a little bit bigger stall so it is up in the power band then start spraying a little higher.Converter was first thing I thought of as well...

But do you have an adjustable rear shock? Adjustable compression and rebound would really help you out!!! Might be the only thing you need to adjust. :nice:

BAD INT
02-04-2009, 12:12 AM
if you are still running the stock snubber you could try trimming it down and see if that stops the issue.Best thing its free to do this !!!

SlowJoe
02-04-2009, 07:54 AM
i dont understand why its unloading the tires if it comes higher than 6 inchs:think: it does kinda sound like the rearend is to stiff.

ChipR4cam
02-04-2009, 03:18 PM
It's obviously unloading. It could be pinion angle or the lack of a snubber and it's springing back.:dunno:

Blown89
02-04-2009, 04:20 PM
Converter was first thing I thought of as well...

But do you have an adjustable rear shock? Adjustable compression and rebound would really help you out!!! Might be the only thing you need to adjust. :nice:
This is my 6th converter and the only one that has been able to hold the motor back. The last one was an art carr 3000 stall and if you flashed the converter it would try to leave around 4200 on motor and spin not to mention push threw the converter turning over 6000 rpm in drive in the eight mile. I barely get into drive with the new one. Plus i get better mpg .

I have just some Lakewood 50/50 out back with stock springs.
What would you recommend out back ? Car is stiff as heck right now.

Blown89
02-04-2009, 04:21 PM
if you are still running the stock snubber you could try trimming it down and see if that stops the issue.Best thing its free to do this !!!
I have no snubber on the car at this point.

Blown89
02-04-2009, 04:23 PM
i dont understand why its unloading the tires if it comes higher than 6 inchs:think: it does kinda sound like the rearend is to stiff.
Yes its stiff bad stiff.

Blown89
02-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Was thinking of letting the rearend drop down with the car on jack stands and tying a string from the body to the axle with no slack and make a launch and see if it brakes the string.

BAD INT
02-04-2009, 04:31 PM
strange struts and shocks !!!!!!!!!!!! if you want to try a little trick while its on jackstands and assuming it doesnt have an antiroll bar,let the rear sag and loosen the control arms let ever thing sag for a bit and tighten everything back up.It will give it a little more travel.Dont know if the car sets high or low in the ass.If it sets high set rear end on jack stands and loosen and retighten under load.Cheap fix to losen rearend go to autozone and buy the cheapest shocks for a 4cyl mustang.Several ways to try stuff free or cheap before buying quality shocks and struts

Blown89
02-04-2009, 04:38 PM
i would try a little bit bigger stall so it is up in the power band then start spraying a little higher. see how that works and maybe let a little air out of the tires.
I have tried messing with air pressure car does best with 18 psi cold 20 psi after burnout. Anything less car tends to get stupid and not launch straight.

Blown89
02-04-2009, 04:40 PM
strange struts and shocks !!!!!!!!!!!! if you want to try a little trick while its on jackstands and assuming it doesnt have an antiroll bar,let the rear sag and loosen the control arms let ever thing sag for a bit and tighten everything back up.It will give it a little more travel.Dont know if the car sets high or low in the ass.If it sets high set rear end on jack stands and loosen and retighten under load.Cheap fix to losen rearend go to autozone and buy the cheapest shocks for a 4cyl mustang.Several ways to try stuff free or cheap before buying quality shocks and struts

It does have an antirollbar . But it does sit high in the rear.

coupe
02-05-2009, 07:46 AM
This is my 6th converter...I barely get into drive with the new one. Plus i get better mpg .
:think: Just playing devil's advocate here, but it sounds like you've pissed some money away on converters and have settled on one that sounds barely better than stock. Call Lenny at Ultimate Converter Concepts http://www.ultimateconverter.com/ (203) 874-2100...and tell him where you're at. :nice:

And check out this thread and some others on that forum about suspension setup...Kevin (Baseline Suspension) and Dave (TeamZ Motorsports) are regulars there...

http://bbs.hardcore50.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=16723

The last one was an art carr 3000 stall and if you flashed the converter it would try to leave around 4200 on motor and spin not to mention push threw the converter turning over 6000 rpm in drive in the eight mileIt was junk; I hope you got your money back. :(

qkjuicedpony
02-05-2009, 07:50 AM
you need to get those tires down to 14psi too.thats where they have worked best for me

Blown89
02-05-2009, 03:53 PM
:think: Just playing devil's advocate here, but it sounds like you've pissed some money away on converters and have settled on one that sounds barely better than stock. Call Lenny at Ultimate Converter Concepts http://www.ultimateconverter.com/ (203) 874-2100...and tell him where you're at. :nice:

And check out this thread and some others on that forum about suspension setup...Kevin (Baseline Suspension) and Dave (TeamZ Motorsports) are regulars there...

http://bbs.hardcore50.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=16723

It was junk; I hope you got your money back. :(

Thats the man that hooked me up with the converter i have now. Lenny knock $100 off the price since a buddy of mine bought one from him a year earlier . He just ask for me to call him after i put it in an ran it and let him know what i thought about it and told me that if it ever pushes threw that one to send it back he would fix it for free. Cool guy!

Blown89
02-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Thats the man that hooked me up with the converter i have now. Lenny knock $100 off the price since a buddy of mine bought one from him a year earlier . He just ask for me to call him after i put it in an ran it and let him know what i thought about it and told me that if it ever pushes threw that one to send it back he would fix it for free. Cool guy!

Plus Lenny is the only one that I have ever talk to that didn't recommend a 4000 stall for a roots type blower recommended it be as low of stall possible and not stall out at an idle.

coupe
02-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Thats the man that hooked me up with the converter i have now. Lenny knock $100 off the price since a buddy of mine bought one from him a year earlier . He just ask for me to call him after i put it in an ran it and let him know what i thought about it and told me that if it ever pushes threw that one to send it back he would fix it for free. Cool guy! :think: Hmm; It sounds too tight for you're power band but Lenny's usually spot-on with the first try.
Try the tire-pressure changes and get a couple of strange adjustable rear shocks...play with the settings. They're not very expensive.

Blown89
02-05-2009, 04:02 PM
you need to get those tires down to 14psi too.thats where they have worked best for me

Running that low scares me never know which way the car going on launch. At 20 psi you don't even have to touch the wheel till you hit the brakes.

Blown89
02-05-2009, 04:10 PM
:think: Hmm; It sounds too tight for you're power band but Lenny's usually spot-on with the first try.
Try the tire-pressure changes and get a couple of strange adjustable rear shocks...play with the settings. They're not very expensive.
I love the power band it has torque out the azz! cam pulls to 5600 spinning it any higher there is no gain on the track. Plus i think thats why a stock block and cast crack have been holding up for six years now. New short block hopefully in the near future Boss block with big bore pistons thats why trying to get traction issue fixed.

Blown89
02-05-2009, 04:14 PM
I am running progressive rate rear springs could that be an issue?

BAD INT
02-05-2009, 06:04 PM
I am running progressive rate rear springs could that be an issue?

they arent helping

QWKSNKE
02-05-2009, 06:18 PM

+1. I can't imagine running 18 psi on a drag tire at the track. Good thing Edgar hasn't popped in here, he would stroke out. I don't think he believes in running over 10 psi in a track tire :jester:

qkjuicedpony
02-05-2009, 07:46 PM
Running that low scares me never know which way the car going on launch. At 20 psi you don't even have to touch the wheel till you hit the brakes.

Trust me I have had those tires with all kinds of air in them.They worked best at 14 psi on every car I put them on.Went 9.20's on 275/60's in a 3000lb car.

militarymustang88gt
02-06-2009, 01:06 AM
get some 4 cyl springs for the rear take out the quad shocks that run horizontal to the ground and let the air pressure out. get some air bags to adjust to make it launch straight. they dont stop the car from loading the back tires just make it go straighter on hard launches. will just take some time to figure out where the air needs to be.

86nu
02-06-2009, 01:10 PM
wont need an air bag with the anti roll bar

BAD INT
02-08-2009, 12:02 AM
+1. I can't imagine running 18 psi on a drag tire at the track. Good thing Edgar hasn't popped in here, he would stroke out. I don't think he believes in running over 10 psi in a track tire :jester:

guess he needs to stroke out lol,always runs as much air in a slick that is possible without hurting traction its all trial and error till you find the sweet spot. weight of vehicle and percentage places many variables on what pressure to run