PDA

View Full Version : Ok, I give up...

TheJeanyus
02-07-2009, 08:05 PM
My brakes are making a PITA noise, and it won't go away...unless you push the brake pedal.

It sounds like metal-on-metal "chattering" as you go down the road. If you push the brake pedal, the noise goes away the instant the pads touch the rotor. There are no signs on the pads or the rotors that anything is vibrating, loose, etc. Reed, coupe, and I took the calipers off today, pulled the pads out, looked everything over, and put it back together. The noise was gone for about 20 miles, then it started right back up. If it weren't for the fact that the noise goes away when you use the brakes, I'd say it was something else causing it. Any ideas?

EHardy1971
02-07-2009, 08:26 PM
:hmm: Maybe a caliper piston sticking/hanging up?:shrug:

TheJeanyus
02-07-2009, 08:35 PM
I would think there would be uneven wear on the pads if that were the case? Pads and rotors look good...typical, uniform wear.

EHardy1971
02-07-2009, 08:40 PM
I would think there would be uneven wear on the pads if that were the case? Pads and rotors look good...typical, uniform wear.
Ok,Cobra,gotcha. Twin piston calipers. Are you 100% positive it's the brakes,and not something else?

TheJeanyus
02-07-2009, 09:13 PM
No, but given the fact that the noise goes away when the pads and rotor touch I don't know what else it could be. You don't necessarily have to be decelerating, either. If you mash the throttle and brakes at the same time it goes away.

I'm thinking about putting some stock-replacement pads on it to see if that fixes it. It has Hawk HPS pads on it now.

EHardy1971
02-07-2009, 10:06 PM
Weird. I assume you guys tried squiting some brake cleaner on everything? Did you put some brake caliper grease on the backs of the pads,and on the sliders?

rtusnake
02-08-2009, 02:35 AM
Mine is doing the samething. One of the spring clips that come on the brakes has broken off of mine. I've been to cheap to buy a new set of pads to fix it. Might be the same problem your having. It goes away when you press the brakes

hardkorethump
02-08-2009, 04:15 AM
assuming that this is calipers front and rear. it could be that your missing some of the hardware to hold the pads in causing them to shake and hit the rotors. OR it could be caliper hardware loose and need to replace. you would have to take tire off and look. My truck did that and one of my springs on my drum brakes came loose causing the squeal and when i hit the brakes it went away.

TheJeanyus
02-08-2009, 07:46 AM
Weird. I assume you guys tried squiting some brake cleaner on everything? Did you put some brake caliper grease on the backs of the pads,and on the sliders?

Yep. We were hoping that would take care of it.

Mine is doing the samething. One of the spring clips that come on the brakes has broken off of mine. I've been to cheap to buy a new set of pads to fix it. Might be the same problem your having. It goes away when you press the brakes

All of the spring clips are in place. We noticed that one of them was oriented wrong and fixed it, but I guess that didn't fix it.

assuming that this is calipers front and rear. it could be that your missing some of the hardware to hold the pads in causing them to shake and hit the rotors. OR it could be caliper hardware loose and need to replace. you would have to take tire off and look. My truck did that and one of my springs on my drum brakes came loose causing the squeal and when i hit the brakes it went away.

All of the hardware is in good shape. We had everything taken apart and looked at every little piece.

mustangmuscle
02-08-2009, 08:36 AM
Well, I dont have an answer, but since misery loves company, my car does the exact same thing! :banghead:

Crazy sounds until the brake pedal is pushed, then goes away instantly....

TheJeanyus
02-08-2009, 09:19 AM
:hmm:

EHardy1971
02-08-2009, 09:24 AM
Just ride around with your foot on the brakes,problem solved!:jester:

TheJeanyus
02-08-2009, 09:27 AM
Just ride around with your foot on the brakes,problem solved!:jester:
:lol: Going through pads in 1,000 miles, getting 15 mpg, and warping the rotors...yes!

I'm more bothered by the fact that anyone who test drives the car is going to complain about the noise. 1 guy already did.

86nu
02-08-2009, 09:54 AM
almost sounds like your pad isnt fully seated on the pistons and instead of being pulled away from the rotor off the brakes its still sitting up against the rotor

SlowJoe
02-08-2009, 10:01 AM
mine does it on drivers side back. thats the side i broke 2 axles on to. i think mine may be a warped rotor. or caliper sticking. have u done any burn outs in it?:think:

TheJeanyus
02-08-2009, 10:34 AM
almost sounds like your pad isnt fully seated on the pistons and instead of being pulled away from the rotor off the brakes its still sitting up against the rotor
That's what I thought, too, but I know the pads are in there correctly now unless they are working themselves back out of the caliper after you start driving around.

EHardy1971
02-08-2009, 10:36 AM
mine does it on drivers side back. thats the side i broke 2 axles on to. i think mine may be a warped rotor. or caliper sticking. have u done any burn outs in it?:think:
I bet I knbow what yours is. Those two little notches on the piston have to be at 12 and 6 o'clock to match up with the little pegs on the back of the brake pad. If they're not,the pad will not sit flush and flat,and will drag on the rotor. Ask me how I know!:jester:

LeeH
02-08-2009, 11:59 PM
I bet I knbow what yours is. Those two little notches on the piston have to be at 12 and 6 o'clock to match up with the little pegs on the back of the brake pad. If they're not,the pad will not sit flush and flat,and will drag on the rotor. Ask me how I know!:jester:

Yep and they only drag just enough to squeel and be anoying.

Sendero
02-09-2009, 06:00 AM
Video of the noise?

TheJeanyus
02-09-2009, 06:11 AM
Video of the noise?
You've heard the noise before. :yup: I can try to get a video one night though.

mustangmuscle
02-09-2009, 06:50 AM
Video of the noise?

Wish I had a decent enough camera that'd make a video where the noise could be heard....:banghead:
But, you guys are right....its gotta be "brake related", cause as soon as any pressure is applied to the brake pedal, the noise stops. Sounds like its coming from the front, rather than the rear, though....imho.
But, then again, I dont hear so well.....:metal:

TheJeanyus
02-09-2009, 07:24 AM
Wish I had a decent enough camera that'd make a video where the noise could be heard....:banghead:
But, you guys are right....its gotta be "brake related", cause as soon as any pressure is applied to the brake pedal, the noise stops. Sounds like its coming from the front, rather than the rear, though....imho.
But, then again, I dont hear so well.....:metal:
If it's the same noise my car is making, it's definitely the front. :yup: