PDA

View Full Version : handheld tuner

mustangfreak123
02-18-2009, 06:54 PM
I am looking at buying one and getting my car dyno tuned. I know that my car could use a tune, but I honestly do not know that much about it. What would you guys suggest? SCT, Diablosport, etc.?

Thanks
-Bret

SlowJoe
02-18-2009, 07:13 PM
i got the SCT X3 and love it!

QWKSNKE
02-18-2009, 07:15 PM
SCT seems to be the most user friendly on the market now

Doc_G
02-18-2009, 08:00 PM
The only down side to sct that I'm aware of is the expense of having to pay to have it programed, and pay again when you want to tune a different car/or to have it unlocked from the car you currently have, and after so many unlocks I think its useless after that. (I may be wrong on that last part and its another tuner/software entirely.. so yeah I'm basicly pulling it out of my ass since I don't know for sure)

But the only tuner (guy down in fla) I have experience with ONLY uses SCT to tune.

QWKSNKE
02-18-2009, 08:21 PM
The only down side to sct that I'm aware of is the expense of having to pay to have it programed, .

that is with any handheld tuner

Doc_G
02-18-2009, 09:54 PM
that is with any handheld tuner

Maybe I didn't make myself clear with what I was trying to say. You pay to have it programmed. Then you have to pay AGAIN to have it unlocked off the car/Pay again for it to tune another car if it doesn't match nearly mod for mod and the computers have to match/and after so many unlocks it becomes useless untill you send it back to a SCT Dealer and PAY AGAIN.

QWKSNKE
02-19-2009, 07:04 AM
Maybe I didn't make myself clear with what I was trying to say. You pay to have it programmed. Then you have to pay AGAIN to have it unlocked off the car/Pay again for it to tune another car if it doesn't match nearly mod for mod and the computers have to match/and after so many unlocks it becomes useless untill you send it back to a SCT Dealer and PAY AGAIN.

Typically, you get free tunes from the dealer with the purchase of your tuner. I know Bamachips does that. I am pretty sure that all of the handheld tuners are like the one in my truck in regards to locking. As long as you upload the tune from your car back to the handheld, you can use it in any car that it is applicable to.

But yes, anytime you need a retune (after the initial purchase) due to a combination change, you have to pay for it

SlowJoe
02-19-2009, 09:56 AM
sct has changed there tuners. I just bought mine and tim at mph had to have computer number to lock it. The older tuners are not like this.

yellowSVT
02-19-2009, 05:45 PM
SCT ftw, i have used sct and diablo!

mustangfreak123
02-19-2009, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the input. I saw an ad in MM&FF magazine for an SCT tuner and they were offering free tunes for life with the purchase of the unit. If I buy from someone that does not offer that, will I have to pay whenever I want to update the tune on my car?

mustangfreak123
02-19-2009, 07:01 PM
Nevermind, I just saw QWKSNKE's answer to my question.

mustangfreak123
02-19-2009, 09:14 PM
I actually found a couple of sites that offer free tunes for life and will actually e-mail them to you. It also said that you can use it on another car as long as you flash the original back to stock. It looks like I will be purchasing the SCT X3 when i get my tax return. Hopefully, I will be happy with the results.

jah81592
03-25-2009, 06:23 AM
Beware of free tunes for life! Think about it, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

waypastcrazy
03-25-2009, 08:38 AM
Get a wideband soon it will let you fine tune. That's when you will really see a gain

mustangfreak123
03-30-2009, 06:09 PM
I ended up with an SCT Xcal 2 from a trade and am pleased with it, but the car has some other issues at the moment.