PDA

View Full Version : SN-95 Cobra Guys

CrazyInBlack
03-16-2005, 04:55 PM
Do any of you regret getting a 96-98 Cobra? Besides needing gears badly is there any other obvious shortcomings to them? Cause they look damn good. :banana:

Scothew
03-16-2005, 05:00 PM
shotty T-45 tranny. :(
I love the radio still being split din.
I love the seats much more than my '00 GT had.
Quite a few mods out for it drivetrain and suspension wise. Not as many engine though.
One of the best looking engines Ford has ever produced. I love popping the hood.
They get great gas mileage for a 305hp car, even with 4.10's i get 25mpg on trips.
Paint in my case is a downfall.
I wish they had a spoiler delete option for them.

CrazyInBlack
03-16-2005, 05:07 PM
do you think it would be a better idea to buy a 99+ GT?

Craig K.
03-16-2005, 05:09 PM
I know that mine is not a DOHC, but I did have one of those at one time.

I like them a lot, good daily driver car, reasonable prices on them now, as Scott said the DOHC is an awsome looking engine and performs well, though you have to keep it in the powerband.

The SN95 platform is real solid, and the cars have great brakes (especially compared to the FOX cars).

Scothew
03-16-2005, 05:16 PM
do you think it would be a better idea to buy a 99+ GT?
What kind of car are you wanting? Stop light to stop light street car? I think a modded 99+ gt can easily take even a modded 96-98 cobra. Because at that point a GT is going to have a better trq curve n/a than the cobra and traction will be bad in the cobra's case because you need 4.10's minimum.

Supercharged, cobra all the way. These motors LOVE blowers.

Just a smooth street cruiser, not real anything than a fun car to drive. Go with the cobra. Get some springs and good struts and its one heck of a curve car. I think with 3.73's or even the stock 3.27's the car would be more fun in the curves due to being able to hold 2nd and 3rd so much longer and keep the power up top without running out of gear.

The brakes on the cobra are better, defintely a great benefit.

Sendero
03-16-2005, 05:22 PM
I like my car, very much. Just wished it had a different Cobra powerplant.

Scothew
03-16-2005, 05:24 PM
Nathan, what would you prefer? Myself, I would even like 01 heads/intake or even mach1 for a better n/a trq/pwr curve.

Of course an 03 mill would be awesome!

Sendero
03-16-2005, 06:08 PM
Nathan, what would you prefer? Myself, I would even like 01 heads/intake or even mach1 for a better n/a trq/pwr curve.

Of course an 03 mill would be awesome!

96-98 Block with 03 Heads.

-or-

A nice 5.4L with 11:1 compression and better intake cams.

Both would put 2V torque curves to shame!

rtusnake
03-16-2005, 07:29 PM
I love my car. I really like the body style. I like the hood and the bumpers on these cars as well. I just like pretty much everything about them. Just wish they had forged internals to begin with, but you can't have everything. The only downside i see about the cars is ford is starting to discontinue some of the parts that don't need to be discontined imo.

Sendero
03-16-2005, 08:04 PM
The only downside i see about the cars is ford is starting to discontinue some of the parts that don't need to be discontined imo.

Can a brother get a amen? :chug:

IMRC controllers are going out of style. FYI. :nono:

Scothew
03-16-2005, 09:04 PM
Can a brother get a amen? :chug:

IMRC controllers are going out of style. FYI. :nono:

And when i cant that and mine goes bad (which it threw a code the other day and doug904 cleared it for me), i will find a wrecked 01 or mach1 and yank the heads/intake off and give my 96 a pick me up.

Nathan can you make our intake work on any tumble port heads?

Sendero
03-16-2005, 09:39 PM
Nathan can you make our intake work on any tumble port heads?

Reinhart Racing (sp) makes an adapter plate. But you have to remember that because our heads are a dual port design, the injectors are offset so they fire in the primary port only. The tumble port intakes move the fuel injector to the center of the ports and angles it so they fire almost straight down throat of the now single intake runner. Its better to just do the swap to a 99+ intake because the 96-98 intakes have horrible low speed air velocity which really hurts torque curves down low.

Add any sort of boost and the disadvantages go away. But you already knew that. ;)

Scothew
03-16-2005, 09:41 PM
boost = dual port head/intake cure all :yup:

rtusnake
03-16-2005, 10:46 PM
i just sold two controllers the other day pretty cheap. I guess i should have kept one but i didn't really think about it.

ChipR4cam
03-17-2005, 08:49 AM
Johnathan, bought an 01 intake for $150, I think, when he was going to use 03 heads on his car.

I also don't think a bolt-on GT will hang at all with a bolt-on Cobra.

Wall96cobra
03-17-2005, 10:39 AM
Johnathan, bought an 01 intake for $150, I think, when he was going to use 03 heads on his car.

I also don't think a bolt-on GT will hang at all with a bolt-on Cobra.

I paid $175 for one but that was a hell of a deal and you can't find them that cheap usually.....and I agree with Chip about the bolt-on cobra vs bolt-on GT, y'all are just a bunch of B-head haters!!! The B-heads are awesome for forced induction and there are some fast n/a B-head cars out there too.

QWKSNKE
03-17-2005, 11:43 AM
, y'all are just a bunch of B-head haters!!! .

:rofl:

HATERS :shake:

Sendero
03-17-2005, 01:38 PM
I paid $175 for one but that was a hell of a deal and you can't find them that cheap usually.....and I agree with Chip about the bolt-on cobra vs bolt-on GT, y'all are just a bunch of B-head haters!!! The B-heads are awesome for forced induction and there are some fast n/a B-head cars out there too.

You still got it? :jester:

Wall96cobra
03-17-2005, 03:26 PM
You still got it? :jester:

I wish....but I did sell it for $300 ;)

Scothew
03-17-2005, 03:54 PM
nice profit.

Scothew
03-17-2005, 03:56 PM
When I say a bolt on 99+ will probably take a 96-98 bolt on cobra, i mean that from a dead stop in normal street racing situations (stop light racing). I am basing that off of me running Rich around town. From a dig, he pulls ahead everytime. We are both very similar modded. Once we get to about 60mph though, I start pulling strong. I think if I had 4.30's, it would be better, but then I would have to seriously worry with traction more than anything.

ChipR4cam
03-17-2005, 04:40 PM
When I say a bolt on 99+ will probably take a 96-98 bolt on cobra, i mean that from a dead stop in normal street racing situations (stop light racing). I am basing that off of me running Rich around town. From a dig, he pulls ahead everytime. We are both very similar modded. Once we get to about 60mph though, I start pulling strong. I think if I had 4.30's, it would be better, but then I would have to seriously worry with traction more than anything.

I think it's probably the driver :poke:

:jester:

QWKSNKE
03-17-2005, 04:47 PM

Wall used to do me that way at the track when both of us were n/a. I would pull him out of the hole pretty good, once we hit the 1/8 mile light, I would watch him in my side mirror come back and take me down every time.

Wall96cobra
03-17-2005, 04:52 PM
Wall used to do me that way at the track when both of us were n/a. I would pull him out of the hole pretty good, once we hit the 1/8 mile light, I would watch him in my side mirror come back and take me down every time.

Ah teh N/A days......seems like such a long time ago :jester:

ChipR4cam
03-18-2005, 08:04 AM
Ah teh N/A days......seems like such a long time ago :jester:

Not for me..............oh wait never mind:nono:

Scothew
03-18-2005, 09:36 AM

Same thing used to happen to me and Brian everytime I'd run against PWT. He'd own me on the launch and about to teh 1/8th and then i'd reel him back in usually resulting in just a couple of 1/10th's difference. (usually his favor :( )

Italian LX
03-18-2005, 09:40 AM
Same thing used to happen to me and Brian . . .
Used to...? :shrug:

Scothew
03-18-2005, 09:46 AM
Now its not a chance of me keeping up N/A since you've made your recent changes :hail: PWT

Italian LX
03-18-2005, 10:00 AM
Now its not a chance of me keeping up N/A since you've made your recent changes :hail: PWT
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. :D

. . . actually, it seems to act more like a 4V now. :huh:

Scothew
03-18-2005, 10:28 AM
:think:

That a good thing?

myillwillinc
03-18-2005, 10:46 AM
the 2v 5.4 feels off the line alot stronger then the 96 cobra i drove a couple of weeks ago. it had a cai, flowmasters. if i could get a tune and some grip, i might be able to goto the track without making a fool of myself....

Scothew
03-18-2005, 10:52 AM
Go to the track, we can hook you up on the grip part.

CrazyInBlack
03-20-2005, 06:21 PM
well it looks like i may be in the market for one after Spring Break :banana: