PDA

View Full Version : needing a good driveshaft

tayzoid1
04-02-2009, 05:42 PM
i have a vibration and i have replaced everything but he drive shaft i need a good driveshatf i would like to get an aluminum one but stock is fine too u joints dont matter as long as the shaft is good and straight post up you offers

thanks!

taylor

SvoBrown
04-02-2009, 06:11 PM
I have one in the closet you can try. or buy. aluminum. Near new. PM me.

QWKSNKE
04-02-2009, 06:35 PM
aluminum is the only way you will get rid of vibrations

coupe
04-02-2009, 07:24 PM
He has the 31-spline output shaft Tremec 600 IIRC... so the regular T5, 3550, etc.. driveshafts won't work.

Best bet is probably get a FMS driveshaft and call Tremec for the 31-spline front yoke.

BAD INT
04-02-2009, 07:30 PM
aluminum is the only way you will get rid of vibrations

nope

do not buy into the myth of alum shafts though they are nice looking

have you tried reclocking the shaft ? try one from an automatic car with the weight/not strictly and auto but most were found on them.

If you were close I have several to try and a custom chromoly good for over 1k hp

BAD INT
04-02-2009, 07:32 PM
He has the 31-spline output shaft Tremec 600 IIRC... so the regular T5, 3550, etc.. driveshafts won't work.

Best bet is probably get a FMS driveshaft and call Tremec for the 31-spline front yoke.

you can get a spicer yoke from autozone for c6/tko spline

QWKSNKE
04-02-2009, 07:44 PM
nope

do not buy into the myth of alum shafts though they are nice looking

have you tried reclocking the shaft ? try one from an automatic car with the weight/not strictly and auto but most were found on them.

If you were close I have several to try and a custom chromoly good for over 1k hp

I don't consider it a myth per se. But I have performed tons of gear installs and never got a stock driveshaft to be vibration free at interstate speeds. (pre-S197)
But if what you say is true about the auto cars I wouldn't know. I have only done 1 gear install for a auto car

tayzoid1
04-02-2009, 08:18 PM
ok i have a stock driveshaft with a tko yoke with the correct pline the car is running and driving so all the parts are there i just need a good driveshaft to put my yolk and ujoints in (they are brand new) pm sent svo brown and bad int

BAD INT
04-02-2009, 10:34 PM
I don't consider it a myth per se. But I have performed tons of gear installs and never got a stock driveshaft to be vibration free at interstate speeds. (pre-S197)
But if what you say is true about the auto cars I wouldn't know. I have only done 1 gear install for a auto car

havent you ever saw one of the drive shafts with a weight at the tranny yoke its really hard to miss,I talked to a ford tech about them once.He said lots of cars had them on them but mostly on auto cars and if a car came in for a driveline vibration if everything was fine mechanically they would install one.

SvoBrown
04-03-2009, 05:45 AM
I took mine off the TC I had. It was great except in deceleration. Always had a roar.
I'll give you a call this weekend. We will see if it will work.

QWKSNKE
04-03-2009, 07:21 AM
havent you ever saw one of the drive shafts with a weight at the tranny yoke its really hard to miss,I talked to a ford tech about them once.He said lots of cars had them on them but mostly on auto cars and if a car came in for a driveline vibration if everything was fine mechanically they would install one.

I have seen them on 4cyl cars but never a V-8

Italian LX
04-03-2009, 07:41 AM
I have seen them on 4cyl cars but never a V-8
My '91 GT (automatic) had the driveshaft with the weight on the front. :yup:

tayzoid1
04-03-2009, 08:20 AM
from what i understand the auto make's put the weight on the shafts to balance out the imperections i called the machine shop to see if they could balance mine and they said the could not but they can "fix" them i asked how can they fix them they the machine guy replied the auto makers put the weights on there to counteract the fact that something isnt perfect about their driveshaft so instead of balancing the driveshaft the machine shop"fixes" the driveshaft by re tubing it rather than "putting a band aid on the problem" <(the machinist guy) but like i said this is just whati have been told if your shaft has wieghts something is wrong with it; warped,dented,bent,or has erectile disfunction.

TheJeanyus
04-03-2009, 08:28 AM
It's just like balancing a wheel. It's virtually impossible to produce one that is perfectly balanced/dimensioned, so it's a lot easier to just balance it out with a counter weight.

Italian LX
04-03-2009, 08:34 AM
from what i understand the auto make's put the weight on the shafts to balance out the imperections i called the machine shop to see if they could balance mine and they said the could not but they can "fix" them i asked how can they fix them they the machine guy replied the auto makers put the weights on there to counteract the fact that something isnt perfect about their driveshaft so instead of balancing the driveshaft the machine shop"fixes" the driveshaft by re tubing it rather than "putting a band aid on the problem" <(the machinist guy) but like i said this is just whati have been told if your shaft has wieghts something is wrong with it; warped,dented,bent,or has erectile disfunction.
So, how does one "retube" a drive shaft? :think:

Every drive shaft I have seen has some sort of weight placed on it for balancing. I'm sure it's similar to your wheels and tires; no matter how well made they are, there are always going to be small imperfections that translate to slight imbalances at high speeds.

TheJeanyus
04-03-2009, 08:37 AM
I'm sure it's similar to your wheels and tires; no matter how well made they are, there are always going to be small imperfections that translate to slight imbalances at high speeds.
Yep. We heat treat "large diamater round bar that goes into automotive applications" at our Youngstown, OH plant. While I can't say with 100% certainty that they make drive shafts out of some of it, that's about the only part I can think of that's big enough to warrant the use of these large diamater bars. We have to send some of it out for rotary straightening, and even then you can't get them perfectly straight. Then add in the fact that the steel mill can't make them perfectly round or consistent along the length of the bar and you can see why a driveshaft would need to be balanced.

coupe
04-03-2009, 08:56 AM
...While I can't say with 100% certainty that they make drive shafts out of some of it, that's about the only part I can think of that's big enough to warrant the use of these large diamater bars.
What diameter? Probably axle-shafts if it's solid round bar.

TheJeanyus
04-03-2009, 09:28 AM
What diameter? Probably axle-shafts if it's solid round bar.
We do anything from 1" to 12" in diameter (currently doing some furnace upgrades to handle up to 14" bars), but it's not all automotive. A lot of the time we don't know the end use because we don't even know who the end customer is. The really large stuff is used for oil rig drill collars. Some of the small stuff is for rifle barrels. I'm not too envolved with what goes on in Youngstown, so I'm not sure what sizes are for the customers who supply the automotive industry.

A lot of stuff is made from solid round bar then drilled out after heat treating. I know the drill collars are drilled out, and obviously rifle barrels are.

coupe
04-03-2009, 09:35 AM
You, sir, have a badass job. :drool:

qkjuicedpony
04-03-2009, 09:39 AM

Where he gets to bullshit on the interwebz all day:D

TheJeanyus
04-03-2009, 09:42 AM
Where he gets to bullshit on the interwebz all day:D
:lol:

...when I'm not putting up with bullshit from customers who order something to a certain specification then blame us when that specification doesn't meet their needs. :banghead:

TheJeanyus
04-03-2009, 09:43 AM
Don't get me started on armor plate, I beams used in the oil rigs in Alaska, angles for crane booms, or flat bar for truck trailers. :jester: This place is fun. :wiggle:

tayzoid1
04-03-2009, 10:32 AM
i was just quoting what lands machine shop said to me whenn bandit told me to call i asked if they could balance my driveshaft and they said they couldnt balance it but they could "fix" it all he ould tell me is they would "fix" it i kept asking how they were planning on fixing it he said they would re tube it i assumed they cut the shaft and well.... retubed it, but like i said i havent the sightest idea how to fix it but thats what the guy at lands machine told me he said it would cost about 80 bucks and i just figgured i would save up and getme an aluminum one anyway

QWKSNKE
04-03-2009, 11:42 AM

Every drive shaft I have seen has some sort of weight placed on it for balancing. I'm sure it's similar to your wheels and tires; no matter how well made they are, there are always going to be small imperfections that translate to slight imbalances at high speeds.

not to mention that the driveshaft is only part of the drivetrain. The pinion flange is also offset (it is not perfectly round) and must also be considered when 'balancing' a driveshaft

tayzoid1
04-03-2009, 12:55 PM
like i said above im not a driveshaft expert im just going by the redneck sounding guy from lands machine told me, take it with a grain of salt belive it or dont. either way im gonna buy a aluminum one so hopefully its gonna be what fixes the problem

tayzoid1
04-03-2009, 11:23 PM
thanks svo brown the drivshaft was it had it up faster than ever and no vibration at all after fiddling with the ujoint and finnally finding a bastard join that will work i got it in with no probs u have my number and we can work out some payments

SvoBrown
04-04-2009, 05:40 AM
Good to hear! I will get up with you next week.

banditmwp
04-04-2009, 08:58 AM

...when I'm not putting up with bullshit from customers who order something to a certain specification then blame us when that specification doesn't meet their needs. :banghead:

Hey, I put up with the same shit except I get paid a lot less and don't have intArwebz :notnice:

Retubing is exactly what it implies. The yokes are removed and re used but a new full length tube is installed and balanced. They do it at Land Machine Co in Choccolocco. Done it on a couple of our Rangers at work and has turned out fine for us. Don't know that I'd trust it on my car though :D

Italian LX
04-04-2009, 09:40 AM
Retubing is exactly what it implies. The yokes are removed and re used but a new full length tube is installed and balanced.
I wouldn't call that "retubing"... I would call that "making a driveshaft."

TheJeanyus
04-04-2009, 09:41 AM

:werd: :rofl:

banditmwp
04-04-2009, 11:25 AM

good point, but they don't claim to make 'em :shrug:

tayzoid1
04-04-2009, 03:23 PM
[/quote]Retubing is exactly what it implies. The yokes are removed and re used but a new full length tube is installed and balanced. They do it at Land Machine Co in Choccolocco. Done it on a couple of our Rangers at work and has turned out fine for us. Don't know that I'd trust it on my car though :D[/quote]
gee matt thanks for recommending it for my car! im really glad i got friends like you in high places, with friends like you, Who needs nuclear holocaust

tayzoid1
04-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Retubing is exactly what it implies. The yokes are removed and re used but a new full length tube is installed and balanced. They do it at Land Machine Co in Choccolocco. Done it on a couple of our Rangers at work and has turned out fine for us. Don't know that I'd trust it on my car though :D

gee matt thanks for recommending it for my car! im really glad i got friends like you in high places, with friends like you, Who needs nuclear holocaust

banditmwp
04-04-2009, 05:16 PM
no, bitch, I told you to get a f***ing aluminum driveshaft. I said you could have it redone at land's :slap:

EHardy1971
04-04-2009, 10:28 PM
Hey, I put up with the same shit except I get paid a lot less and don't have intArwebz :notnice:

And the shit obviously gets deep enough for boots at O'reilly's..

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc59/tayzoid1/mattp.jpg

:jester:

rtusnake
04-04-2009, 11:21 PM
Those boots looks like they was made for dirty dancing :spit:

tayzoid1
04-05-2009, 12:31 AM
lol ohh ok so we have swapped up roles, your normally the receiver Matt!:iron::ymca: