PDA

View Full Version : trouble removing lower control arm

JUICED SVT
04-05-2009, 07:35 PM
just like the title says i'm having trouble busting the lower control arm from the spindle. it just seems to be stuck. i've removed the castle nut and beat the hell out of it. stuck the pickle fork in- nothing should it really be this hard to get off? or is there something i'm missing?:banghead:

SvoBrown
04-05-2009, 07:51 PM
Beat it harder. You can tap hard on the side to help break it loose. Give it hell!!!
PB blaster could help too. WD40, Put the heat to it. it will come off.

SvoBrown
04-05-2009, 07:52 PM
Not red hot. Just enough to smoke some grease out of it.

93cobra1928
04-05-2009, 07:52 PM
I like to use a BFH, the ball joints tend to want to stick in the spindle, several well placed hits on the spindle where the ball joint goes in usually does the trick.

Italian LX
04-05-2009, 08:00 PM
Take a big hammer and beat the hell out of the side of the spindle where the ball joint goes through it. It will eventually break loose.

Make sure you're not supporting the control arm (let the front suspesion extend all the way) and thread the castle nut on a few turns (leave space between the nut and the spindle). If you do the above, it will be easy to tell when the ball joint finally breaks free as the space betwen the castle nut and the spindle will be taken up and the nut will be the only thing keeping the control arm from swinging down and launching the spring. At that point, you can slightly jack up the control arm and remove the castle nut.

Dale McPeters
04-06-2009, 12:46 PM
They do make a special tool for this that really makes it very easy....:D

It is called a 16 lb sledge hammer.............:lol:

JUICED SVT
04-06-2009, 08:17 PM
They do make a special tool for this that really makes it very easy....:D

It is called a 16 lb sledge hammer.............:lol: just took the 12 to get it :banana2:but damn they were on there

QWKSNKE
04-06-2009, 08:36 PM
just took the 12 to get it :banana2:but damn they were on there

they always are

Craig K.
04-07-2009, 04:29 PM
In the future too, make sure your not using the pickle fork upside down, I did this ONCE.
Beat the heck out of it for an hour using the the fork took it out, flipped it over and in two hits she came apart, there is a progressive wdege shape on the fork, as I recall the flat goes towards the arm.

JUICED SVT
04-07-2009, 07:32 PM
yeah i tried it both ways they were just really stuck on there