PDA

View Full Version : Help with headers

backbumperbound
04-06-2009, 11:20 PM
ok i gotta 01 gt with a p1sc lookin into headers next,i need some advice own witch ones to purchase,ive been lookin into long tubes just not sure with ones. Thanks

rtusnake
04-06-2009, 11:26 PM
Longtubes will get you the most for your money. They are a pain to install on a mod motor though. I run kooks on mine but they are about the most expensive being stainless

backbumperbound
04-07-2009, 08:37 AM
I figured it would be a perfect time for headers doin a motor swap,The kooks are sweet.any body got some used ones. Thanks

jah81592
04-07-2009, 03:02 PM
for fitment I would recommend MAC. They are the best bang for the buck. I have installed MANY sets on mod motors. -j

rtusnake
04-07-2009, 03:33 PM
Mac is alot better than they used to be. Their newer headers are good products

97cobrasvt
04-08-2009, 09:26 AM
I guess I am alittle different but I have always liked BBK's headers. I put them on my old 97 cobra and like them alot..

backbumperbound
04-08-2009, 11:31 AM
I had bbk's own my 5.0 i liked em alot.

jah81592
04-08-2009, 12:48 PM
I guess I am alittle different but I have always liked BBK's headers. I put them on my old 97 cobra and like them alot..

The big difference is that you can remove the manual tranny with the MAC headers installed and the BBK hug the trans too much. You can remove the tranny but you WILL get scratched headers.-j

97cobrasvt
04-13-2009, 09:16 PM
The big difference is that you can remove the manual tranny with the MAC headers installed and the BBK hug the trans too much. You can remove the tranny but you WILL get scratched headers.-j

Or do like I did and cut the bellhousing off and put a TKO 600 in it. That way the gear box can be removed from the bellhousing. :jester:

goofy
04-14-2009, 07:59 AM
i had a P1SC procharger on my 02 gt and we found out through many different exhaust combo's that any long tube headers or even equal length shorties with h-pipe and straight thru mufflers makes a lot of hp.. the h-pipe made 20 more hp than x-pipe on dyno.. hard to believe huh? and i personally found that dynomax welded mufflers work best, their 2.5 inlet and outlet mufflers open up to 3inch inside muffler.. the more exhaust you can flow with a supercharger the better.. you cannot go to big with exhaust with supercharger.. if you can route 3inch pipe on your car you'd be amazed how much difference it would make..

rtusnake
04-14-2009, 03:06 PM
I picked up a good bit by swapping to a 3 inch exhaust

goofy
04-15-2009, 07:08 AM
bigger exhaust is better with a supercharger.. dyno results showed me 20 rwhp gain changing x-pipe to h-pipe. then a 80 rwhp gain when i changed the flowmasters to straight thru flow dynomax welded mufflers.. thats an amazing increase.. that same exhaust works really good on my all motor setup.. if your car is stock and x-pipe works great, but i've found by personal experience on a dyno and at the track, h-pipe will flow better with modified engines, and same goes with mufflers, stay away from chambered mufflers..

TheJeanyus
04-15-2009, 07:11 AM
bigger exhaust is better with a supercharger.. dyno results showed me 20 rwhp gain changing x-pipe to h-pipe. then a 80 rwhp gain when i changed the flowmasters to straight thru flow dynomax welded mufflers.. thats an amazing increase.. that same exhaust works really good on my all motor setup.. if your car is stock and x-pipe works great, but i've found by personal experience on a dyno and at the track, h-pipe will flow better with modified engines, and same goes with mufflers, stay away from chambered mufflers..
Could you please post the dyno graphs where you gained 100 rwhp from swapping exhaust?

goofy
04-15-2009, 08:07 AM
they have the dyno results at "appalachian performance" in black mountain, nc.. ph#828-664-9010.. they also have a website.. that's who does all my tuning.. they couldn't believe it either.. thats all i changed when we re-dyno'd it.. ended up pegging maf meter, had to upgrade to 90mm lightning maf, because the air flow was so much greater.. you probably wouldn't see as much hp gain on a na motor.. i also have that supercharger for sale on this website.. running all motor now.. trying to get a mud truck set up to race soon..

goofy
04-15-2009, 10:05 AM
here's the graphs

goofy
04-15-2009, 10:13 AM
started at 350 rwhp.. changed exhaust 431 rwhp first pull before tune.. have to change maf to 90mm to get more.. pegs stock 80mm..

QWKSNKE
04-15-2009, 03:58 PM

interesting you picked up that much on the exhaust at your current power level. I know power can change dramatically with exhaust selection but it seems to mostly happen when making 600+ rwhp. Those flowmasters must have been clogged up.

To me it is REALLY interesting that you picked up 20 with the h over the x. Everything I have ever seen showed x-pipe making more power, especially in the upper rpm.

350 rwhp seems kinda low on a blown 4.6. Were you running lower than 10 psi of boost

goofy
04-15-2009, 04:41 PM
350 rwhp is when i had flowmasters on.. went to 431 when changed to dynomax straight thru mufflers.. after tune 450.. maf pegged and wouldn't allow any more hp, car would just cut off.. would of had more with bigger maf.. and remember i have an automatic transmission.. you won't show as much rwhp with and automatic as you would a 5 speed due to parasitic loss.. stock was only around 230 rwhp before we added supercharger and cams.. and a convertible is heavier than a coupe..

SilverBack
04-15-2009, 05:08 PM
I'm not following this.....How does a car being convertible or coupe affect dyno numbers?

TheJeanyus
04-15-2009, 05:36 PM
Is the exhaust the only thing that was changed? Like QWKSNKE said, those kind of gains from swapping to larger exhaust are usually only seen on 600+ rwhp cars.

Was the weather different on the various trips to the dyno?

goofy
04-15-2009, 05:36 PM
when you dyno a car.. you put specs of car.. weight, etc.. and it will put the correct amount of resistance against the wheels for that car..

TheJeanyus
04-15-2009, 05:38 PM
when you dyno a car.. you put specs of car.. weight, etc.. and it will put the correct amount of resistance against the wheels for that car..
Not on any dyno I've ever been to. :think:

goofy
04-15-2009, 05:41 PM
i'm just going to quit while i'm ahead.. i know what happened with my car.. every car is different.. not trying to be a smart ass, but you can believe it or not.. i doesn't really matter.. i'm not affended at all.. the people that were there when we dynoed the car wouldn't have believed it either if they weren't there to see it..

TheJeanyus
04-15-2009, 05:46 PM
I'm just trying to wrap my head around it. I'm not saying that you're making up numbers. You've posted the graphs with those numbers on them. People were skeptical when my Cobra put down 507 ft. lbs. with just a upper pulley, exhaust, and CAI, too, but several of us were there when it happened.

QWKSNKE
04-15-2009, 05:51 PM
Not on any dyno I've ever been to. :think:

That is how a mustang brand dyno works. That is what Panhandle Performance used when they 'tuned' my cobra many years ago

i'm just going to quit while i'm ahead.. i know what happened with my car.. every car is different.. not trying to be a smart ass, but you can believe it or not.. i doesn't really matter.. i'm not affended at all.. the people that were there when we dynoed the car wouldn't have believed it either if they weren't there to see it..

LOL. I believe you picked up the power. 400-430 is around the norm for a properly tuned 10 psi 4.6 2v.
I do think that your mufflers were partially clogged though being that your original dyno was at 350.