PDA

View Full Version : header starter prob's

tayzoid1
04-10-2009, 11:16 PM
ok so i have a 90 5.0 it has longtube headers and they are really close to the starter this is my problem everyone sayd my starter is gettin too hot and its caused it to go bad the starter itself clicks like the battery is dead and it wont crank this is where it gets wierd i can roll start the car imidiatly shut it off and it will crank up compleatly normal and if i wait about 5 minuts come back and try it again it clicks like the batt dead but the battery is 100 percent. but the story doesnt end here the starter was replaced by the previous owner with a starter and silenoid from a 95 mustang 6.0 this starter has the silonoid and starter all in one unit like a chevy.... but i still have the factory firewall silonoid on the car it has everything from the factory ran to it and then extended to the secondary siloniod i know this is really not the way the stuff should be ran but until now i havent had any problems with it until now. well the starter tested bad so i bought a lifetime warranty reman starter and i got eberything put back together and bam it fired up fine so i clean all my tools up and get ready to go and bam it goes back to doing the very same thing it was doing before tried jump starting it ... nothing tried roll starting it and it fires then 5 minuts later still ... nothing so i put on a new silonoid on the firewall and nothing still doing the same thing i cant figgur out why al of the sudden this happens after months of no problems this starts nothing wiring wise has been touched at all and everything remains after the starter install the same way as the previous owner rigged it any ideas are help full i really dont feel like going through all the hassle of undoing motormounts and headers and everything ... again so pleas someone know some thing or just tell me a factory starter will fit:pray:

EHardy1971
04-10-2009, 11:26 PM
It's wired right as far as the solenoid goes. My guess would be the small trigger wire might be broken down inside the insulation from heat,or the spade connector on the wire might need to be replaced. Check the battery cable where it connects to the starter too,it could be broken down or corroded inside as well.

tayzoid1
04-10-2009, 11:47 PM
i wigggled everything to make sure there wasnt any broken or bad connection all the teerminals are clean and tight and i know on the fox starters there is no solenoid on the starter it self and on my car there is, the starter is listed as a starter for a 95 5.0 mustang ill take all the loom off of the wires tommorow and see if there is any wore down spots or bad spots on it and replace it if there is but im just out of ideas with this thing

qkjuicedpony
04-11-2009, 08:26 AM
If it sit for an hour or so will it crank then?

93cobra1928
04-11-2009, 09:29 AM
i know on the fox starters there is no solenoid on the starter it self and on my car there is

Fox mini-starters do have a starter mounted solenoid as well as one on the inner fender.

Like EHardy says it sounds like a trigger wire issue, time to break out a meter.

EHardy1971
04-11-2009, 09:49 AM
Fox mini-starters do have a starter mounted solenoid as well as one on the inner fender.

Like EHardy says it sounds like a trigger wire issue, time to break out a meter.
Yep,they went to the mini starter in 91 or 92. I'm about to do a retrofit on mine to that style.

tayzoid1
04-11-2009, 01:24 PM
the replace ment i bought was from a 95 5.0 i just want this be like the factory starter so no jerry riggin is in place does anyone know if the factory starter from a 90 model 5.0 will fit with long tubes?

93cobra1928
04-11-2009, 04:52 PM
Yes it will fit but the mini starter is a much better unit. My 2 cents

EHardy1971
04-11-2009, 05:43 PM
If you go back to that style of starter,it's going to be a tight fit. Stick with the style you have,trust me.

QWKSNKE
04-11-2009, 06:28 PM
The starter should be the same from around 92-95.

By the way, I thought all fox starters had a solenoid on them. It has been awhile since I saw one those big ugly pre-92 starters though

tayzoid1
04-11-2009, 11:51 PM
well i got the problem narrowed down turns out the previous owner hooked the main ground for the battery to a bolt holing in the tailight when he mounted the battery in the trunk he just scraped some of the paint off and hooked it up:wall96: well i have no idea why its just now giving me trouble but ohh well. what i did just to track down the problem was hooked up a jumper cable from the neg of the battery to a ground on the motor ecentially running a new ground wire the car start up fine well hook the groung back up and nothing hapens but the clicking described above so we move the ground to a clean place on the rear subfram right under where the batt is and viola it fires i say cool the problem is fixed i go inside take a shower and get dressed in my nice clothes to go out, i turn the key to start and ..... bam it starts clicking again no body touched anything at all any thing! so i roll start it drive around the neighbor hood get back to my house cut it off it starts fine just for testing purposes lol yea right, i go inside and have a drink come back outside and......... back to doing nothing but clicking i have come to a point where things are getting to where nothing makes sense it workes i walk inside and it doesnt work everything is new and in good working or der im to my whits end with this thing some one pleas help! lol

QWKSNKE
04-12-2009, 10:06 AM
Is there any corrosion in the cable?

Italian LX
04-12-2009, 12:56 PM
Is there any corrosion in the cable?

Yeah, check for corrosion.

Also, you may be on the right track with the ground issue. Be sure to check the engine grounds. There should be two of them -- one heavy-gauge wire attached to the timing cover, and a braided ground cable attached to the back of the driver-side head.

tayzoid1
04-12-2009, 06:33 PM
no corrotion anywhere im gonna check and redo the engin grounds in just a few minuts got some 2gauge wire and some connector so hopefully this will fix it