PDA

View Full Version : cold air intake

goofy
04-14-2009, 07:42 AM
i have a 2002 mustang gt.. just finished building engine, stroker kit, patriot heads, stage 3 comp cams, 75mm tb and plenum, headers, etc. was trying to decide between AEM, C&L, & JLT.. i like the size of the jlt, but afraid headers may melt pvc? would aem or c&l be a better choice? i need as much air flow as i can get with my setup.. i do like the aem dry flow filter aem, which could be used on jlt or c&l.. also have to decide on a maf meter..:dunno:

QWKSNKE
04-14-2009, 07:52 AM
Unless you are planning some type crazy CAI routing, the JLT will not melt. Look into the SCT Maf's

TheJeanyus
04-14-2009, 08:04 AM
The JLT won't melt. I think it would have to actually make contact with the headers to melt. I had a JLT on my '03 Cobra with no problems. :nice:

QWKSNKE
04-14-2009, 08:09 AM
by the way, welcome to the site. Please post an introduction post in the Welcome room

goofy
04-14-2009, 08:56 AM
ya i've been looking at sct and pro-m maf's.. any of you used c&l or aem cai? how do they compare to jlt? QWKSNKE i noticed you went with AFE.. are you happy with that system? how did u decide?

QWKSNKE
04-14-2009, 10:53 AM
AFE is on my F250.

Really, CAI is a matter of what you like best. They are all going to do about the same in regards to power. While they are pricey, I liked the 4" Anderson Ford Motorsport CAI I had on my 93 cobra.

Many of us have used the C&L meters and were not pleased. I have heard that the latest Pro-M company does not put out adequate MAF's but I have not run one since the company changed hands.

PMAS is the original Pro-M company and several of us have used there meters with no problems but like I said, I have heard a lot of good things on the SCT MAFs as well

SlowJoe
04-14-2009, 11:24 AM
AFE is on my F250.

Really, CAI is a matter of what you like best. They are all going to do about the same in regards to power. While they are pricey, I liked the 4" Anderson Ford Motorsport CAI I had on my 93 cobra.

Many of us have used the C&L meters and were not pleased. I have heard that the latest Pro-M company does not put out adequate MAF's but I have not run one since the company changed hands.

PMAS is the original Pro-M company and several of us have used there meters with no problems but like I said, I have heard a lot of good things on the SCT MAFs as well

+1 on the cai! i have the upr on my 02 gt and like it. it puts the filter on the outside of the fender. i wonder sometimes if a striaght cai would be better.

Italian LX
04-14-2009, 12:09 PM
PMAS is the original Pro-M company and several of us have used there meters with no problems but like I said. . .
Yep, I have a 95mm PMAS on the coupe and love it! :nice:

QWKSNKE
04-14-2009, 12:51 PM
+1 on the cai! i have the upr on my 02 gt and like it. it puts the filter on the outside of the fender. i wonder sometimes if a striaght cai would be better.

In my opinion, any CAI kit that relocates the MAF to the inner fender is best

SlowJoe
04-14-2009, 01:08 PM
In my opinion, any CAI kit that relocates the MAF to the inner fender is best

mine just moves the filter not the maf

TheJeanyus
04-14-2009, 01:15 PM
mine just moves the filter not the maf
Is there a bend in front of the MAF? That's the main thing you want to avoid. When I had the Densecharger on my car it would ping in cold weather because the MAF reading was not reading correctly. The tune compensated for it in "normal" weather, but when it got cold it made enough of a difference that it went a little lean. Swapped to the JLT, didn't change anything else, and all of the cold-weather pinging went away.

SlowJoe
04-14-2009, 01:22 PM
Is there a bend in front of the MAF? That's the main thing you want to avoid. When I had the Densecharger on my car it would ping in cold weather because the MAF reading was not reading correctly. The tune compensated for it in "normal" weather, but when it got cold it made enough of a difference that it went a little lean. Swapped to the JLT, didn't change anything else, and all of the cold-weather pinging went away.

yes it is in front of maf

QWKSNKE
04-14-2009, 01:30 PM
As long as you have at least 3" of straight pipe before the MAF you will be ok

SlowJoe
04-14-2009, 01:33 PM
As long as you have at least 3" of straight pipe before the MAF you will be ok

i have more than that. mine has never pinged

goofy
04-14-2009, 01:34 PM
the maf's are designed to have the air filter mounted right in front of it, so the cold air kits in the fender that relocate the maf in the fender work great.. i prefer the short ram air style, you may not get as cold of air, but you will get more air.. more air + more fuel = more power.. i think i'm gonna get the AEM kit i like the looks of it, and the dry flow filter.. i've had problems in the passed with oiled filters, if you get to much oil on them you will suck some up in the maf and cause it to start reading innacurate.. and after some research i think an 85-90mm maf will do great for my setup.. that sct maf should be fine.. thank you for your input..

goofy
04-14-2009, 01:37 PM
oh, and by the way, they do make a maf tuned for an in fender filter kit while your maf stays in the stock location, which would be right after the bend in the pipe.. hope that helps.. that does make a difference in how the meter reads..

TheJeanyus
04-14-2009, 03:07 PM
i have more than that. mine has never pinged
As long as the bend is far enough away that the air flow is the same across the cross section of the pipe, it's fine. With my Densecharger the bend was right in front of the MAF. This causes bad readings because the air on the outside of the bend is moving faster than the air on the inside of the bend. The MAF is only reading part of the air flow, and it can lead to trouble. Like I said, though, it didn't ping under normal conditions. It only happened when it was below about 35-40 degrees outside.

rtusnake
04-14-2009, 03:19 PM
I've always made more power with a rai style intake. Plus you pop the headlight out at the track and get some gains there

jah81592
04-16-2009, 07:33 AM
The SCT BA-series MAF will require a custom tune. Even if you get a MAF curved for your application it will still not be perfect thus mandating a custom tune. Tunes are about mandatory in this day with the newer vehicles! If you decide to go with a meter other than the BA-series I would recommend PMAS over Pro-M. Guess who makes SCT, Sniper and some OEM meters? PMAS -j

goofy
04-23-2009, 11:39 AM
installed AEM Brute Force today.. powdercoated silver(actually it's a dark grey).. looks killer, and performs geat.. wooohooo.. really well made product..:banana: