PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Line question

95GTMan
03-19-2005, 07:50 AM
On this intake I bought used. I noticed the other day that one of the aluminum vaccum lines was broke were it is pressed into the intake. My question is can I take it a machine shop and have the press that one out and press a new one in?

Italian LX
03-19-2005, 07:58 AM
Can you take a picture of it and post it?

95GTMan
03-19-2005, 08:30 AM
Can you take a picture of it and post it?

This all I can give you right now. It broke in that little knuckle, but on mine that knuckle is fluch with the intake.

Italian LX
03-19-2005, 08:43 AM
This all I can give you right now. It broke in that little knuckle, but on mine that knuckle is fluch with the intake.
You can probablt just drill it out and tap it to accept the correct threaded pipe fitting. Then intall one of these. . . .

http://www.deepstageperformance.com/pics/fitting.jpg

:shrug:

Craig K.
03-19-2005, 08:54 AM
I agree with Brian, I would be more tempted for the right way to fix it. Having a threaded fitting is much better, it cost more, that why the OEM didn't do it.

If you wanted to try a redneck repair, you might be able to patch the crack with JB Weld

Italian LX
03-19-2005, 09:07 AM
If you wanted to try a redneck repair, you might be able to patch the crack with JB Weld
He didn't say the intake was cracked. The way I understand, the aluminum vacuum tube was just broken off flush with the intake body.

Craig K.
03-19-2005, 09:30 AM
He didn't say the intake was cracked. The way I understand, the aluminum vacuum tube was just broken off flush with the intake body.

In that case, the redneck repair method would be to JB Weld the too pieces of aluminum line back together :jester:

95GTMan
03-19-2005, 09:41 AM
I agree with Brian, I would be more tempted for the right way to fix it. Having a threaded fitting is much better, it cost more, that why the OEM didn't do it.

There ain't gonna be no redneck repairs on my car car.
:jester:

The line isn't broke off yet is is just broke right next to were it is pressed into the upper intake. Hell I may just have all of them drilled out and tapped so non of the others break later on.

hevymtl
03-19-2005, 09:57 AM

Is there an echo in here?

Italian LX
03-19-2005, 10:00 AM
:jester:
Hmmm, that appears to be a double negative... so you mean every repair is going to be a redneck one? :think:

:D

JTowe85
03-19-2005, 10:37 AM
I agree with Italian LX. I would use one of those pipe fittings. Just make sure you seal it real good.