PDA

View Full Version : oil pump driveshaft

tayzoid1
04-28-2009, 08:30 PM
ok i need to know how to drop this oil pump driveshaft into my motor without pulling the motor out(trying to see if the oilpump is locked up)
i have tried magnets mechanical fingers and they are all to big to fit through the little plate where the dstributo bottoms out i can get it within like an inch but the cant go anyfurther

thanks
taylor

QWKSNKE
04-28-2009, 09:10 PM
you can't pull it out with the motor in the car. It must be installed from the bottom

EHardy1971
04-28-2009, 09:16 PM
you can't pull it out with the motor in the car. It must be installed from the bottom
:agree: The clip on it goes on the bottom side of the shaft hole,to keep it from being pulled out with the distributor.

86GTPONY
04-28-2009, 09:34 PM
I pulled my distributor once and the driveshaft came with it... until the clip caught. Then it fell down into the oil pan. :banghead: Fortunately it didn't "lay down" and I was able to get a magnet in and pull it out from the side. Not easy! You can do it with the timing cover off pretty easy, or just get a junk yard distributor and pull the gear off - that way you can twist the oil pump to see if it seized. Good luck Taylor, and be patient!!!

tayzoid1
04-29-2009, 10:12 AM
i know how is supposed to go i just was wondering how i might be able to get it in without pulling the motor out just to see it the pump is seized im almost sure it is but i would hate to pullit and then it be something else

QWKSNKE
04-29-2009, 10:37 AM
yeah i knew what you were asking, just letting you know that 'No' is your answer.

I don't see how Don's suggestion would work either. From my experience, the oil pump must come off to get to the shaft

stangman
04-29-2009, 11:39 AM
yeah i knew what you were asking, just letting you know that 'No' is your answer.

I don't see how Don's suggestion would work either. From my experience, the oil pump must come off to get to the shaft
+ 1...

86GTPONY
04-29-2009, 01:35 PM
:dunno: I dunno - but I did it! I had the timing cover off once and fed the stock driveshaft up towards the distributor hole and set it back down into the pump. I used an ARP driveshaft when I did my head/cam swap to make life easier. It has the hex ends with a round shaft. This one can "drop in" and it is the perfect length & fit. Check out summitracing - $18.25 & it's well worth it IMO!!! http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=ARP%2D154%2D7904&autoview=sku

By the way - if I'm wrong, ya'll can come out to LA and slap me! :jester:

tayzoid1
04-29-2009, 02:36 PM
i dont understand how the timing coveroff would help with the driveshaft installation:dunno:

QWKSNKE
04-29-2009, 02:51 PM
:dunno: I dunno - but I did it! I had the timing cover off once and fed the stock driveshaft up towards the distributor hole and set it back down into the pump.

unless I am senile, you can't see that stuff with the timing cover off.

(reference Italian's pic from another thread)

http://streetstangs.com/images/oil-passage-plugs.jpg

86GTPONY
04-29-2009, 03:20 PM
http://www.streetstangs.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=5158&d=1217216797
You can see the oil pump pickup tube - if you got long fingers, you can do it. Or just make it easy and get an ARP shaft.

Italian LX
04-29-2009, 03:21 PM
unless I am senile, you can't see that stuff with the timing cover off.

(reference Italian's pic from another thread)
:slap: That's because the pump is not shown in that picture.

If the pump were installed, then you would see the driveshaft hanging down to the right of the main cap going into the pump.

86GTPONY
04-29-2009, 03:32 PM
Thanks Brian - I know it can be done, because I did it... but it was a real big pain. That's why I suggest the ARP shaft - it's a "no brainer!" It might just be easier to pull the motor anyway becuase if there are issues, you're gonna have to anyway.

SlowJoe
04-29-2009, 04:12 PM
how much was it ran with out the oil pump?

tayzoid1
04-29-2009, 04:43 PM
like 50 or 60 yards i work less than a mile away from my house and it broke right in the middle on my way home and i jiust drove it home and then all the lifters went soft

tayzoid1
04-29-2009, 04:44 PM
what makes the arp shaft so much eisier to install than the factory?

QWKSNKE
04-29-2009, 05:39 PM
:slap: That's because the pump is not shown in that picture.

If the pump were installed, then you would see the driveshaft hanging down to the right of the main cap going into the pump.

:slap:

I know the damn pump is not in that pic. My point was the shaft is hidden behind that wall of material

86GTPONY
04-29-2009, 06:29 PM
what makes the arp shaft so much eisier to install than the factory?
The ARP shaft WILL go down that hole. It does not use the sliding retainer ring that the stock shaft has. It goes in & that's it. I put some bearing grease on the end that goes into the distributor to kinda hold it in place while I dropped it in.

:slap:

I know the damn pump is not in that pic. My point was the shaft is hidden behind that wall of material
True, but there is some exposure to the shaft just behind the right side of the front main cap that you can actually get your fingers in to guide it if needed.

tayzoid1
04-30-2009, 12:16 AM
i knocked the retaining clip off of the shaft my problem was that i dont have any way of lowring it all the way into the hole all of my tools are too big to drop the shaft all the way down

86GTPONY
04-30-2009, 06:05 AM
Just get a junk yard dizzy & knock the gear off of it... Then (because you have no retaining ring on the shaft) put some permatex on the driveshaft and let it cure in the distributor. When you set it in, see if it spins. Just make sure it's not too far in, otherwise you might not make contact with the pump.

tayzoid1
04-30-2009, 03:31 PM
anybody got a junk distributor?