PDA

View Full Version : head questions

tayzoid1
04-30-2009, 09:04 PM
would i be better off pulling a set of heads off an explorer 5.0(gt-40p) or gasket matching and porting and polishing my factory e7's for the cost diffrence what are my pro's and con's trying to come up with a gameplan for the mild buildup im about to do

tayzoid1
04-30-2009, 09:05 PM
or pulling the gt-40p's and porting them? and will they bolt right on and work with my current roller rocker setup? and still be able to run on pump gas i dont think i am changing the comp ratio but, i am unsure about any specifics of this swap

86GTPONY
04-30-2009, 09:14 PM
GT40-P heads will bolt right up along with your rockers. Stock cast, they will out flow a set of ported E-7's. Only thing is, you need to get some P-specific headers. Mac makes a nice set, but they can get pricey. Some say FRPP work well too, but I haven't tried them. As far as porting the P heads goes - you gotta have them done by someone really good, because you can actually hurt the flow #'s. If you get a used set, make sure you get some new valve springs on them. Check out this - http://www.streetstangs.net/showthread.php?t=12440 I think you can also look up the flow numbers on here too.

Also - http://www.streetstangs.net/showthread.php?t=11961

86GTPONY
04-30-2009, 09:19 PM
Also - they bump your compression up from 9.0-1 to 9.5-1...if I recall correctly. Premium pump gas runs fine...

EHardy1971
04-30-2009, 09:34 PM
You can also run Chevy style plug wires with the 90* boots to clear the headers too.

Also - they bump your compression up from 9.0-1 to 9.5-1...if I recall correctly. Premium pump gas runs fine...

I don't know about the CR on P heads,but I had my GT40's milled down .030" to 60 cc's which put me at 9.8:1 CR. I run 93,with no detonation,and base timing @ 18*.:D

tayzoid1
04-30-2009, 09:41 PM
i think im gonna try to find some regular gt-40's then im gonna try to save my longtubes i got on here for now if i cant them i guess im gonna port the factory heads and run that until i can afford a god set of aluminum heads

BAD INT
04-30-2009, 10:23 PM
you get a lump of money? I know you got shortblock issues and were on a budget for that.If you want to run stock stuff I got a buddy that is really good with that stuff in miami and can do you a set of either one,you would better to get aftermarket stuff unless you are gonna port your own stuff to save money.

QWKSNKE
05-01-2009, 06:57 AM
you would better to get aftermarket stuff unless .

I agree. You have to know what you are doing when it comes to porting or you will screw up the flow of heads.

And like Jon said, by the time you buy some GT-40's ($400) and have them checked to make sure the springs/valves are good, and have them ported you could have easily bought some aluminum heads

coupe
05-01-2009, 08:58 AM
:stupid: x2

And you don't even want to try to port any iron head on your own. It's a very difficult job to do and you'll probably use a paycheck's worth of bits and stones to finish them.

tayzoid1
05-01-2009, 10:06 AM
ive got an older man i work with that i haver talked to about it and he say's he can do it. he's a chevy guy but knows his stuff from what i have seen and was editor for southern rodder for a long time he say's he has the stuff to do it and that he would do it for me so i was just contemplating lettinghim do the fatory heads so i wouldnt have to replace alot of stuff. i am still on a budget but with a lil more wiggle room now. i was also looking at some elderbrock heads they have some assembled for right at 1000 bucks anyone have any opinion on these?

TheJeanyus
05-01-2009, 10:17 AM
How much is the guy going to charge to port the heads? If he's going to do it free or close to free, I don't see why you wouldn't do it. However, I wouldn't buy any other heads until I could afford a good set of aluminum heads. The weight savings as well as the boost in power will be well worth the wait. :nice:

coupe
05-01-2009, 10:44 AM
Patriot Performance (Rainbow City, AL) aluminum "freedom series" heads are not a bad choice if you're looking for low-budget aluminum heads...they're well under $1000. They are not Edelbrock, TFS, or AFR quality, but they're not too bad.

tayzoid1
05-01-2009, 02:25 PM
yea he says he will help me do them with in his language means he will do them while i watch and learn i was just wondering if i should try to find some of the p heads and prot those or save the money port my e7's for now and then get a good aluminum one

86GTPONY
05-01-2009, 02:30 PM
You should be able to get away with using your long tube headers if you do find a set of P heads... Just don't spend a lot of money for them and don't port them. It's a nice boost till you get some aluminum ones...

SlowJoe
05-01-2009, 06:21 PM
i thought the P heads worked with long tube:shrug: i have not done it or seen it!

EHardy1971
05-01-2009, 07:59 PM
i thought the P heads worked with long tube:shrug: i have not done it or seen it!
Here's a good sticky on the corral about P heads

http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1014187

and a header specific link

http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1010024&highlight=gt40p

SlowJoe
05-01-2009, 09:05 PM
he has the flow tech/summmit LTs